Carrara Monthly Challenge 29: Bad Timing, or Good Timing (Anachronistic) - WIP Thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Another inspiration - Bloc Party

This is a test of the forum's music video link.  I posted it to the Commons thread for the chalenge, but I thought it appeared in an odd way.  Testing here. Feel free to share your WIPs or any other thoughts about this month's challenge in the Commons thread if so inclined.

Here is the commons thread

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/123896/carrara-challenge-29-bad-timing-or-good-timing-includes-new-user-prize#latest

Here is another inspirational animated music video related to time in a cool anachronistic way.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2016

Moving on to putting hair on the character. This will be the same for the others in the scene, will just change the colour. 

PhilW's  Adrea Hair  http://www.daz3d.com/adrea-hair-for-carrara  is a very worthwhile product to have as I can mess about with it very comfortably as he follows the same principles as are in his videos.  

I did notice something when making the link... did he model Adrea on Fiona Bruce, the BBC presenter? devil       

Fiona at the newsdesk

Anywhoooo.... here's what I have done with more hairy stuff.  smiley Silene

Hair-Brow-Closeup.jpg
    588 x 405 - 150K
    Hair.jpg
    580 x 831 - 440K
    Brows.jpg
    795 x 701 - 400K
    Post edited by SileneUK on

PhilW does seem have celebrity connections.  wink

Look at those eyebrows.  Wow.  You are definitely a hair expert, SileneUK.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    diomede said:

PhilW does seem have celebrity connections. 

I've never met Fiona Bruce, but it is possible that I noticed a similarity after doing the hair and used a similar background for one of my promos!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

SileneUk,  Thanks... that was exactly my problem. Just tested it on a sphere.  .04 wee bit small but .10 about right. I'll have hair growing from this odd bird in no time. :)

I've seen some of Jonstark's videos but wasn't paying full attention since I didn't have anything I wanted to try at the moment. I think the ones I had bookmarked to look at all were on YouTube... it wasn't easy to be sure I had them all. Too bad I'd not found them on Carrara Cafe where they are nicely laid out.

Thans again... feel free to mention anythinng. Already knowing it, or thinking I do, does not bother me.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,229

Fantastic Silene!!! Looks great!

Very nice job on the hair, and I love the shaders too... especially those eyes! Very nice!

edited November 2016

Kewl advice SileneUK... worked like a charm.  Thanks also to Phil and Jonstark.

Been tweaking the shaders for each domain. Finally got some better looking feathers using SSS and a very dark, almost black, color of reddish orange. Changed shader setting for main body, head, beak and legs... some were too dull and other too shiney.  Still not happy with the body, too dark now, so will have to mess with it another time.

How do you like the toon turkey's mohawk? If I saw this turkey in the woods I'd mosey back to the car, dragging my gun... jump in, drive away, and stop to buy a frozen turkey on the drive home... the whole time not being able to get that strange encounter out of my head. :)

TurkeyWoods_07.png
    640 x 480 - 578K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
    wgdjohn said:

Kewl advice SileneUK... worked like a charm.  Thanks also to Phil and Jonstark.

Been tweaking the shaders for each domain. Finally got some better looking feathers using SSS and a very dark, almost black, color of reddish orange. Changed shader setting for main body, head, beak and legs... some were too dull and other too shiney.  Still not happy with the body, too dark now, so will have to mess with it another time.

How do you like the toon turkey's mohawk? If I saw this turkey in the woods I'd mosey back to the car, dragging my gun... jump in, drive away, and stop to buy a frozen turkey on the drive home... the whole time not being able to get that strange encounter out of my head. :)

Your Tom Turkey is far too cute to eat, love the colours!  yes  SIlene

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited November 2016

Well, I have an idea, do not know how good it is, but I'll be using these recent models I made smiley

P.S. Cat will be rigged version by 3DAge ...

OldBike.jpg
    801 x 828 - 352K
    LittleRobotIRay.jpg
    585 x 864 - 175K
    Cat2.jpg
    791 x 661 - 45K
    Post edited by FifthElement on

Sheesh Fifth... you make some fantastic models!

...and awesome shaders to make 'em look shiny too! yes

• ...and awesome shaders to make 'em look shiny too! yes

Thanks, with lil' bit of IRay (in Substance Painter) thrown into mix everything looks better cheeky

Just kidding, lol, will see how I will use these in Carrara, always wanted to make "The Robot Rides The Bike" image smiley

...and awesome shaders to make 'em look shiny too! yes

Thanks, with lil' bit of IRay (in Substance Painter) thrown into mix everything looks better cheeky

Just kidding, lol, will see how I will use these in Carrara, always wanted to make "The Robot Rides The Bike" image smiley

With a kitty on his shoulder! wink

Thanks Silene... I still want to see what I can do about the very black body... seemed like anything I did made it a shiney surface again.  That's play for another day.  As if the toon turkey and mohawk are not out of place enough I want to model something also.  As of the 3rd week of Mikes, mmoir's, Animation Club I've finished more models than I have for myself recently.

FifthElement - I thought that Substance Painter was probably used, the worn metal on the robot looks terrific!

• PhilW said:

FifthElement - I thought that Substance Painter was probably used, the worn metal on the robot looks terrific!

Thanks Phil, I appreciate it, here is the basket I just modeled quickly for the bike, gotta put that kitten into something, lol smiley

BasketModel.jpg
    814 x 896 - 367K
    edited November 2016
    wgdjohn said:

Thanks Silene... I still want to see what I can do about the very black body... seemed like anything I did made it a shiney surface again.  That's play for another day.  As if the toon turkey and mohawk are not out of place enough I want to model something also.  As of the 3rd week of Mikes, mmoir's, Animation Club I've finished more models than I have for myself recently.

Ack... it did not save my answer as a draft. That's a first as it's very pesky. DoH? 

OK, go to MODEL in Assembly Room, then click on SHADER icon and you will get the texture as applied to the various body parts. I'd guess on a toon like this it will be one texture map for the whole character.  Click on legs or feet, wherever they applied that shader, and it will come up on left and you can see the various effects used on that body part. You will see under HIGHLIGHT that it's probably got a colour there, sometimes it's really odd, too. So you can either reduce that to NONE from the drop down menu, and that should help. You may only now see the actual colour on the texture map with no other influences.. Or you can change that to a Value of 0-100% and set it at maybe 15%. Then go the the SHININESS slider and mess about with it and you will see at the top the shader ball will go duller and lose the glare... hopefully.   Check the REFLECTION setting, too.

That's a simple fix. I am sure others have more helpful alternatives.

If you don't like the black (which may depend on the colour HIGHLIGHT for an effect of feathers), try cloning the texture map and change the part with the body feathers to brown or something. Good luck!

yes  Silene

Very good advice... I've tried a few with no luck yet... right now it is only showing the original texture map. Got some fiddling with what you suggest. Thanks again.

• Ok, some progress, here is Carrara screenshot ...

Just need to model some quick enviroment for it, lol.

Cheers smiley

RobotBikeCat.jpg
    614 x 884 - 145K

Adorable, Fifth! Absolutely adorable!!! yes

• Thanks Dartan smiley

Well look at how the kitty's sitting in that basket! The look on both of their faces! Awesome!

Great models, FifthElement.  The shaders fo the bicycle frame have the perfect amount of wear and tear.

Love the kitty in the basket!  heart Silene

edited November 2016

WGDJOHN  have a look at these screenshots of another model of 3DU's, a baboon that I have which might have a similar map.  1 and 2 show what you get in the Shader Room if you choose the whole character from the tree in the Assembly Room. The application to the various body parts do not show up on the right. So in 3 and 4 it shows the Shader Room when you choose only the model when you are in the Assembly Room.  

Using method 3/4, you will see in the Shader Room..that the treeis showing all the different body parts as mapped by the texture map over on the right, so choose one and see what other effects, eg HIGHLIGHT and SHININESS are applied. When I changed image 4 to NONE (not shown) the shiny spots on the ball went away. They may be different from any effect on the Global shader. It's a fiddle I agree. Others can likely explain better, but give it a try. I admit that didn't know about single texture maps having their own effects for different body parts or areas for a long time. I guess when you are using these models in DS or Poser, it all behaves differently?

Doh on me!  blush Silene

1.jpg
    1469 x 991 - 521K
    2.jpg
    1822 x 801 - 649K
    3.jpg
    1512 x 930 - 478K
    4.jpg
    1510 x 797 - 711K
  • Thanks guys, here is basic "terrain" for the scene, wierd, I know, but I kind of like it, lol smiley

Here is link for a robot itself, fully textured and "rigged" with simple parenting (Carrara 8 Scene File: 7zip used for compression):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4V0tbmTYNaSSnh2TnQ2WFBudlU/view?usp=sharing

Free to use for whatever you guys need it/modify it for, no credit for use is needed, would be nice though ...

Terrain.jpg
    1000 x 786 - 295K

Really appreciate it.  yes

Thanks guys, here is basic "terrain" for the scene, wierd, I know, but I kind of like it, lol smiley

Here is link for a robot itself, fully textured and "rigged" with simple parenting (Carrara 8 Scene File: 7zip used for compression):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4V0tbmTYNaSSnh2TnQ2WFBudlU/view?usp=sharing

Free to use for whatever you guys need it/modify it for, no credit for use is needed, would be nice though ...

• No problem, sir, I like to share whenever I can, I'll share the bike soon too smiley

Very generous to share your robot! interesting looking terrain too.