Carrara Monthly Challenge 29: Bad Timing, or Good Timing (Anachronistic) - WIP Thread

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Penny answer... give it a try.  Load a dynamic hair on each and see what happens. :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,811
    edited November 2016

Some more WiPs

Used Genesis for the caveman & cavewoman and added Carrara hair for the fur onto the clothing and also used hair for making hair and beard.

Highlighted items are what I have either modified or made like the volcano and surface replicator .. also made the caveman club.. Also shows the light setup I used.

also the final render.

CaveManWiP4.jpg
    640 x 480 - 221K
    scene setupWiP.jpg
    1471 x 860 - 397K
    About Time.jpg
    900 x 600 - 469K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

@MDO2010 - clever.  That is a great way to handle the flame.  It is so tempting to use a billboard for flame, like the DM set for circle of light.  Is your candle flame's glow strong enough to be the light source for the shadows I see on the steps?  Or, did you put a bulb light next to it?  I am saving my pennies for either Substance Painter or Filter Forge.

@wgdjohn - thanks for the workflow tips.  Scenes with a lot of hair and replicators can get really bogged down.

@MistyMist - I am curious about multiple hair also.  If no one has the answer, is worth a couple of small tests in a separate scene with just two small hair objects to find out. 

@Stezza - wow, the hair for the fur clothing looks fantastic.  For Genesis, did you use a hair cap or did you grow the hair directly on the head?  Sometimes if I grow hair directly on Genesis or Genesis 2 the hair will get all wonky if I moph the figure, which is why I usually use a hair cap.  But really need to do on the model for mustaches and beards.  Your hair looks excellent and I'd rather grow on the model if possible.

Thanks diomede..

with the hair and beard I use a hair cap and a product from MortemVetus .. it's a poser product and doesn't work in Carrara ( I can't get it to work anyways ) but I use the bases from it which is basically like a cap but for beards and tashes and add Carrara hair to it.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2016
    diomede said:

@MDO2010 - clever.  That is a great way to handle the flame.  It is so tempting to use a billboard for flame, like the DM set for circle of light.  Is your candle flame's glow strong enough to be the light source for the shadows I see on the steps?  Or, did you put a bulb light next to it?  I am saving my pennies for either Substance Painter or Filter Forge.

Unfortunately no - it's not that strong. I could make it light up the area by multipying the glow by a 1-10,000 set to a pretty high number, but doing that really adds a lot of noise to the render unless you push the render quality settings way up too and blows out the color.  I made the flame as a separate object from the rest of the candle and there is a light bulb in the same spot set to not light up the flame.

The flame object is also set to not cast or receive shadows. which is an important part of this setup that I forgot to mention.

There is a little bit of a glow on the bulb as well, but that post effect doesn't work through the transparency of the shader - it will when the candle is finished though because in the final the flame will be a bit above the top of the glass.  This was just a test render of the SSS and flame to see how they looked, I still need to model a candle that looks more like something you could actually buy in a Yankee Candle shop (otherwise the title doesn't make much sense).

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2016

Here's the model for the candle flame BTW.  It's pretty simple, just a low poly vertex sphere that I stretched in the z-axis and then used soft select to shape a little bit.  It's got one level of unapplied smoothing on it, but that's really only needed if the flame is really close to the camera.  I also applied a little bit of the blur effect (like 2-3% max) on the effects tab in the Assembly room,which seems to help the effect.

CandleFlameModel.JPG
    1875 x 982 - 157K
    CandleFlameShader.JPG
    1629 x 956 - 121K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    wgdjohn said:

Penny answer... give it a try.  Load a dynamic hair on each and see what happens. :)

i dunno know how to blow wind on hair

enlightened tool named wind physics? 

edited November 2016

I don't do many animations (well, I would use the word "any" instead of many if I hadn't joined the weekly animation club), but I think all you have to do is (a) in the assemble room insert a directional force pointing it where you want the wind to blow and adjusting its strength, and (b) in the hair room under the "dynamics" tab click simulate.  I hope it is that easy.  Fingers crossed.

I am sure there are a bunch of settings to fine tune the function, but I have to defer to others because I haven't done many simulations.  For a still with wind, I have just used the brush tool to adjust the hair the way I want it.

MistyMist said:
    wgdjohn said:

i dunno know how to blow wind on hair

enlightened tool named wind physics? 

ff01b directional force.jpg
    1774 x 790 - 435K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited November 2016

Oh, oh, oh (raises arms and shakes excitedly), another gem of a tip revealed in a monthly challenge thread!

MDO2010 said:

Here's the model for the candle flame...   ... I also applied a little bit of the blur effect (like 2-3% max) on the effects tab in the Assembly room,which seems to help the effect.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

directional force = wind!!  thanks smiley

df=w

before gettin started, gonna sit outside in the sun for a bit, order a pepperoni pizza.  need pizza to start a projie smiley

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2016

@Stezza, did you make your caveman's wrap? Nice!

OK, here's the mammoth. Thanks Dio for helping...left it in the end with the tusks parented as suggested in PM. It's my horrid rigging which is only really for it to be laying down in the scene, so won't go further with it now. Here's it's upright and haired, with a tree-bark shader underneath. This was a generic elephant I got off the net and reshaped its head and shoulders/ears, then found the Smithsonian Instution had a great 3D skeleton of a mammoth whose tusks I wanted. 

Work this week, but time for some more work on this hopefully. People next! wink  Silene

Mammoth-B.png
    767 x 711 - 135K
    Mammoth-A.png
    686 x 705 - 276K
    Mammoth-H.png
    531 x 600 - 329K
    Mammoth-R.png
    595 x 850 - 178K
    Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited November 2016

Mammoths are cool, especially if woolly!  I will be sending you another PM.

edited November 2016

Breaking news!  The great creator of Carrara dynamic hair, Naomi, is sponsoring this month's Carrara challenge.  Check out the amazing styles available.

http://www.daz3d.com/naomi

First, second, third, and honorable mention will each get an item from Naomi's store, which fits this month's hair requirement perfectly.  Dynamic hair is not only realistic strand-based, it interacts with wind forces, physics, and objects. 

Thank you, Naomi.

edited November 2016

Just a reminder that you do not have to have two items from different time periods.  The requirement is that time be the driver of the scene, especially if there is something about the time that is not compatible or doesn't fit. Of course, the wrong time could turn out to be very fortunate or lucky for someone.  Often fun if it is bad, though.  Here is an example which does not involve time travel (although time travel is completely acceptable and encouraged).  A count is trying to schedule a repair, but the only appointments he can get are during the day.

Vampire 01 hair cap adjustment.JPG
    1696 x 827 - 109K
    Vampire 02 hair adjusted.JPG
    1410 x 909 - 114K
    Vampire 03 service guide.jpg
    640 x 640 - 35K
    Vampire 04 test render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 53K
    SileneUK said:

@Stezza, did you make your caveman's wrap? Nice!

Nope.. it's from Mec4D neanderthal set... I just added the fur to that one .. thanks yes 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,229
    MistyMist said:

i been dreaming steampunk lately 

Not exactly sure why, but I have been too... and I'm liking the dreams too! Kinda crazy seeing this post all of a sudden ;)

Wow! Kick   Ass   Ankle Ideas, folks!!! Very cool!!!

edited November 2016

Daz sponsorship continues.  Thank you Daz!   The first page will be edited to reflect

Sponsor:

We love our wonderful sponsors   heartheartsmiley

Once again Daz will generously sponsor the monthly challenge with the following prizes:

1st Place: $100.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
    2nd Place: $ 50.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
    3rd Place: $ 25.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
    Honorable Mention (4th place): $10.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s) ( may be used for best new comers).

The wonderful Published Artist of Carrara dynamic hair Naomi also awards one item to each winner and HM.

** and this month the best relatively new Carrara-ist also wins $20 gift certificate, distinct from above prizes

Note - that the prizes are not changing, but let it be known that Daz says that it will wish prize winners to put their Daz Original items in their cart, and then Daz may give store credit of the prize amount to process it.  We are checking on how PA sponsors will be processed.  This has been done before, but on other occasions people put their items in the cart and Daz staff processed it.  Anyway, don't sweat the paperwork, but if the PA sponsor item becoms an issue let us know so we can try to follow up.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

OK, moved mammoth into scene (not final position) and re-haired it to a more realistic effect hopefully. I also added a mouth as this generic elephant didn't have one!  

Thanks again Diomede for helping to get those pesky tusks in place, and the update on the amazing prizes. Great!

yes Silene

Mammoth-Re-haired-AR.png
    884 x 597 - 734K
    Mammoth-Re-haired.png
    878 x 583 - 642K

Very nice, Silene!

Hey Naomi, thanks for the generous sponsorship! Awesome!!!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

I had some ideas for this topic, but the police of DAZ deleted my wip from the last challenge (I had offended a trash bag…), my ideas for this challenge are in the same spirit thus I doesn't take part, sorry…

Nice start for everybody !

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited November 2016

Better get my idea out there now...  I'm planning on attempting to model a Turkey. Since I've not yet created a model of a creature or human I think it best to have a back-up pre-made turkey for a standby.  I'll want to add just a tuft of hair on it's head to make it extra goofy looking. My crazy idea just came to me yesterday when looking at my Thanksgiving 2d graphic I use for my web site.

I cranked up Carrara and started to box model the Turkey's head.  Pitched it out after messing it up... Realizing I didn't know what I needed to do... so spent the rest of yesterday studying Character design.

Folks, Good work on your renders.  Kewl stuff be happening hear!

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    DUDU said:

I had some ideas for this topic, but the police of DAZ deleted my wip from the last challenge (I had offended a trash bag…), my ideas for this challenge are in the same spirit thus I doesn't take part, sorry…

bugger... I'm trying to remember what your WiP was but can't remember... anyways dudu don't let that put you off ... do your ideas and post your stuff I for one enjoy seeing your talents..

yes

+1

Stezza said:
    DUDU said:

bugger... I'm trying to remember what your WiP was but can't remember... anyways dudu don't let that put you off ... do your ideas and post your stuff I for one enjoy seeing your talents..

yes

The mouth has really made a difference.  Good job.  Excellent work on the wool for the woolly one.  Love the sky.

SileneUK said:

OK, moved mammoth into scene (not final position) and re-haired it to a more realistic effect hopefully. I also added a mouth as this generic elephant didn't have one!  

Thanks again Diomede for helping to get those pesky tusks in place, and the update on the amazing prizes. Great!

yes Silene

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

wow, great to see the wips :) sorry my computer is still dead - havent had time to fix it

edited November 2016

This is an actual idea. The attached are all background elements.  I intend to render these support elements and then use that render in the background scene slot of my actual render.  Whatever this crowd is interested in, the key is 11:00.  Or is it?  wink

The wall with the spade-shaped windows is a spline object.  The chandeliers are vertex objects.  The clock is a combination of text, primitives, and splines.  The crowd is a collection of generation 3 and 4 figures and various content available in the Daz store (V3, SP3, V4, M3, D3, and M4).  The banners are separate renders applied to a vertex grid and morphed.

For this background, I need to revisit every single shader.  sad

The lighting is too bright.  I am using the gamma 2.2 with indirect light.

tt64 scene with old figures.jpg
    640 x 480 - 44K
    tt16 select all and arrange combine as compound.JPG
    1798 x 910 - 162K
    tt07 arrane combine as compound to get hole.JPG
    1328 x 928 - 125K
    tt51 smoothing.JPG
    1384 x 802 - 107K
    tt58 Chndelier crystal test render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K

My use of hair will be described when I get to the main render for which this is just the background.

diomede said:

This is an actual idea. The attached are all background elements.  I intend to render these support elements and then use that render in the background scene slot of my actual render.  Whatever this crowd is interested in, the key is 11:00.  Or is it?  wink

The wall with the spade-shaped windows is a spline object.  The chandeliers are vertex objects.  The clock is a combination of text, primitives, and splines.  The crowd is a collection of generation 3 and 4 figures and various content available in the Daz store (V3, SP3, V4, M3, D3, and M4).  The banners are separate renders applied to a vertex grid and morphed.

For this background, I need to revisit every single shader.  sad

The lighting is too bright.  I am using the gamma 2.2 with indirect light.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

I think I might have a concept for this challenge...hair and Time...look out(!)smiley

Nice.  WIPS end December 2? OK

edited November 2016

Voting begins Dec 10.  You can still submit ideas during the week that the WIP thread and the entry thread overlap (Dec 3-10).

Looking forward to your idea.