Can't cast shadows

trollderiutrollderiu Posts: 0
edited September 2012 in New Users

Hi, a week ago I installed DAZ Studio 4.5 and is perfect, but I have a couple of days trying to make my character cast shadows on the floor and it still fails.

I have tried many tutorials, but in a basic scene:

- Plane as ground with all displays on.

- Shaderlight at 45 º with:
.Shadow parameters: Deep Shadow Map, color = black, Intensity = 100%, Samples = 0, Softness = 0, Bias = 0.
.Light parameters: Illumination on, color = white, Intensity = 100%.
.and all Displays On.

- And Genesis With All displays On.

I may need to install a plugin? The first time I installed DAZ without Genesis, maybe I'm missing now install something else.

thank you very much

Post edited by trollderiu on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Two things. First do you have a floor in your scene and second did you try Ray Traced Shadows?

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited September 2012

Ok, just 'double checked... I don't have that particular light but this looks odd "Samples = 0, Softness = 0, Bias = 0."

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • trollderiutrollderiu Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

sry, in Shadow Parameters Samples I put actually 4

Szark said:
    Two things. First do you have a floor in your scene and second did you try Ray Traced Shadows?

1. When u say floor means a primitive plane? (it's possible DAZ are creating backwards planes?)

2. Yes, as I said, I tried a lot of combinations

ty

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

All lights in DS has three Shadow settings, None (the default setting), Deep Shadow Map and Ray Traced Shadows. You need to turn the Shadows on in the Parameters of the light(s) you wish to cast a shadow. Hope this helps.

EDIT: If you have other lights in the scene they could be Whiting out your shadows. Example: If lit from the side the shadow should be on that light might be killing the effect your looking for.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited September 2012

Jaderail said:
    All lights in DS has three Shadow settings, None (the default setting), Deep Shadow Map and Ray Traced Shadows. You need to turn the Shadows on in the Parameters of the light(s) you wish to cast a shadow. Hope this helps.

As I said before, I put Deep Shadow Map and I tried now Ray Traced Shadows, but nothing.

edited December 1969

I edited my post. Also have you looked Through the Light like it was a camera? That helps line them up properly. You should have a shadow unless it is whited out or not aimed as you think.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

Do you have anything in the scene that could be blocking the light source? Something like a dome or high walls?

edited September 2012

1. when I check the lights on Scene, only have 1 light.
    2. I use a camera plus the light.
    3. I only have a character and a floor plane, nothing can block the light.

ty 4 answer

I also tried make new scenes and it's the same

edited December 1969

I still suggest you use the Drop down and LOOK through the light (they list under cameras) and see what it is pointing at.

edited September 2012

1. It's a ShaderLight, it pointing at all the scene. It's at 45º. Anyway I see my character when I'm looking througt the light.
    2. I check with others lights, and plane response at the ilumination, but dont cast any shadow.

edited December 1969

I don't use Shader lights, sorry. I know that the UBER area light is broken in DS4.5, maybe all shader lights are.

edited September 2012

Jaderail said:
    maybe all shader lights are. (broken)

Thats interesting... But how I can check this??? u know where I can download lights for DAZ 4.5?

I check uber lights and are really broken, but at least light begin to make something like shadows! :O

EDIT: 4 example, point lights doesn't work to me.

edited September 2012

Just Uber Area light is broken the other Uber lights work. You have Point lights, Spot lights and Distant Lights built into DS just use Create to add one. As for other sets of lights the DS Store is full of light sets. Here is a link to all the Lighting and lighting related items here at DS. Make sure anything you get is for Daz Studio. It has Carrara and other sets in the list.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/environments-props/lighting

EDIT: Point lights are for VERY CLOSE work only. Like a candle on a table ect.. they fade off very fast.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

1. It's a ShaderLight, it pointing at all the scene. It's at 45º. Anyway I see my character when I'm looking througt the light..

Which shaderlight?

Some require a 'companion' camera to 'work' properly...only basic functions of 'light' will work with the default camera. Caustics is one such function...it requires a light/camera pair.

edited September 2012

The lights that I used are "DS Defaults". I soposed that come with the free DS version. (and suposed doesn't need that light/camera pair)

ty for the link, but at the moment I prefer be a free user. I now only checking the posibilities (I'm 3D max user)

maybe only need reinstall

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The Uberarea lights were not working properly in DA 4.5.0.114, but that was fixed for the Beta release version 4.5.0.137

edited December 1969

The Uberarea lights were not working properly in DA 4.5.0.114, but that was fixed for the Beta release version 4.5.0.137
    I do not Run Betas. I'll wait on 5.
    edited December 1969

I have been using it with no problems at all, it is just a lot of bug fixes for the previous version.

The IG lights work beautifully in it now, I wouldn't let the 'Bata' tag put you off.

edited December 1969

I have been using it with no problems at all, it is just a lot of bug fixes for the previous version.

The IG lights work beautifully in it now, I wouldn't let the 'Bata' tag put you off.
    I'll check out the Fix list and think about it some. I had issues with RC2 so I'm a bit leary of Betas.
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I can't look at this DSDefault shader light at the moment to see what exactly it is. Doesn't sound light Area lighting to me.

If it is an Area light plane then make sure the normal is pointing in the opposite direction to where the light is pointing. You can see this by choosing the Translation Tool and see which way the Green (I think) arrow is pointing.

edited December 1969

ty to all, i will try to reinstall and put this beta these days (dont have much time now) and respond later.

edited December 1969

Shadows do not and have never (as far as I know) worked properly in the DzDefault Shader lights. If I recall, the shadow brick isn't actually connected to anything...:roll:

No need to reinstall because of that issue...but the other bug fixes are probably worth it.

• Sid_1500574Sid_1500574 Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

Are you sure that your render setting isn't set to preview mode?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

- Plane as ground with all displays on.

Exactly how did you create this? Just using the built-in primitives? And how many segments did you make it in? I'm trying to remember a post from a few years ago on the old forums, if you make a large plane primitive that's all one polygon, you might have problems with textures, shadows, and a couple other things. Give the plane a few segments, 5 or 10 or so, and it'll work better.
    edited September 2012

mjc1016 really?, I'll try with other lights :/ ... thats means I have to buy it?

isn’t set to preview mode and the plane is small and have segments (primitive).

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

You don't have to buy any light yet. You can begin with the standard lights provided by DS which do cast shadow. You can find them in the create menu

You can also use Omnifreaker's uberarealights. They are mesh emitting light and they also cast shadows. They just don't work like the other lights and all their parameters is in the surface tab instead of paratmeter tab for standard light

The last interesting light is Uberenvironnement which adds ambiant occlusion, HDR lightning and a bit of indirect lightning

24-09-2012_00-41-16.png
    300 x 363 - 27K
    edited December 1969

You don't have to buy any light yet. You can begin with the standard lights provided by DS which do cast shadow. You can find them in the create menu

You can also use Omnifreaker's uberarealights. They are mesh emitting light and they also cast shadows. They just don't work like the other lights and all their parameters is in the surface tab instead of paratmeter tab for standard light

The last interesting light is Uberenvironnement which adds ambiant occlusion, HDR lightning and a bit of indirect lightning

Those lights are not the same as the shader lights that have the shadow problem.

And yeah, I tested the default shader lights...still not working properly.

edited December 1969

Thats embarrassing, Creating cameras and primitives and don't see this lights :S ...
    that's it. not perfect but it works great for what I want

sorry for this and thank you very much to all

Later I will watch the rest of lights you advise.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

I have nearly perfected using the omnifreaker uber volume shaders (dust, cloud, etc.) & a spotlight to get shadow beams/ light rays- good!
    I have installed DAZ 4.5 and can't get them to work- bad!

I have tried loading an old scene from 4.0 that got the results I like and I've tried creating a completely new scene with all current lights, figures, uber sphere, etc.

Any thoughts, tips, tricks on how to get them working again?

Thank you,
    Jay

The image below is from 4.0

Volumetric_B_JayMarshArtwork.jpg
    450 x 266 - 86K
    edited December 1969

There was a bug that affected Uberarea lights in DS 4.5.0.114, which was fixed in the Beta release 4.5.0.137. You can buy it from the store for $0.0 like the other versions.