Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited April 2016

First we'll start with Jaime with the optimized Genesis 2 Iray skin. I set up emissive panels (easy to do) for the lighting, in addition to outdoor hdr (Maui) 

A quick tutorial on creating emissive lights- and a link how to hide the reflections of the panels in your character's eyes. BTW, when I changed the cutout opacity to .0001, it did indeed change the emission. I did it several times. The linked page says it doesn't. It lowered the intensity when I did it, quite a bit.

I am not postworking/color correcting Jaime at all, because I will be testing the ICAM. See below for how to do Emissive panels. This has one in front, one on the side, and one on top.  The second image is Jaime with only Preset 2 applied.

Doing emissive panels:

1. If you are only using the panels to emit light, select Scene Only in your Render tab settings.

2. With the plane selected in Scene, go to Surfaces and in the Editor tab select the surface of the plane. Then in the Presets (still in Surface) go to Shaders>Iray and find the Emissive. Double Click.

3. Back in Editor (Still in Surfaces) set the color temperature to 6500 for white, and use luminance for brightness. (Tip: Start with 130,000)

4. Put the Cutout Opacity to 0.0001 (you won't throw shadows with that plane when you do that, BUT your plane won't be a glaring square in the character's eyes either. As I said, when I did this, it dimmed the plane's emissions.) 

JainaEmissive.jpg
    950 x 1200 - 520K
    JaimePreset2.jpg
    475 x 600 - 144K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2016

So with Preset 2 applied, I am going into Base Color Brightness (our first in the list of options)  and chose the "Skin Tone Less Red." So keep track- this is Preset 2>Base Less Red. By using the Base Color Manager, you can type in colors and see the instant results in the viewport (with NVIDIA selected)  NOTE: These screenshots are a lot more intense than the product produces. 

So I went with a lightish blue  241/248/233  and in the Initialize Your Gloss Weight, 0.16 for the Glossy Weight and 0.12 for Top Coat. The original settings were  .10 and .20, I am playing with everything.

Then in the Further Gloss Management, I can adjust the glossy weight, roughness, and reflectivity. The Top Coat Weight is there again so I don't have to go anywhere to tweak that. This is a very handy setup!! The Glossy Reflectivity was .30 and I went to .35, the Glossy Roughness was .42 and I did .40  Minor tweaks.

JaimePre2BaseLessRed.jpg
    475 x 600 - 145K
    JaimePre2BaseTest.jpg
    548 x 885 - 1M
    JaimePre2BaseMineLtBlue.jpg
    475 x 600 - 145K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2016

Rendering now- for the Translucency options, I tested the Base Scatter Transmit briefly, and got quite exaggerated colors. That's not something I would recommend for anyone who doesn't really know what they're doing. 

The translucent color was 255/226/202 ( a beautiful peach/skin tone) and the weight was .42   I changed to a yellow (very pale) 255/254/216 and went up to .50  Since she is wearing a swimsuit, I went the summertime-ish route. You can easily take out the reds and golds with this product by simply going with the blues.

So this shows you what you can do and the setup. (Not intended to give you a perfected figure, she's coming along though!) Not shown- I tested the base at white, replacing the yellow in translucency with blue, and the chest and overall look went less reddish.  I'm done, going on 4am. 

JaimePre2BaseMineFinal.jpg
    475 x 600 - 144K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

I have this product also, and it's been great at redoing some of my older G2 skins.

edited April 2016

I know I definitely have to experiment a lot more to get characters more blue and less orange. One of the things I like is getting sheen and adjusting it so easily. The setup lends to making fast changes.  This was the last one I did last night, adding more blue.

JaimePre2BaseMineFinal2.jpg
    475 x 600 - 124K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Here is a render of the  Maia Hair http://www.daz3d.com/maia-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s in 3delight. I've always wanted a hair with an insanely long braid, and this one is just the right thing. It's a bit of a pity it only comes for the g3f but I guess with some pushing and shoving it will go on a g2 figure as well. The form here was made only from the pose controls but the braid has freaking 26 bones to bend twist and move sideways and the whole thing can be made about the double length with another slider. The girl is about 50% Bethany and Amy.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/cc/90664711f2094098ae33d4bfca424e.jpg

braid.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 2M
  • RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921
    edited April 2016

Small Tip: Ciara looks great when converted to Teen or Child using Growing Up Morphs

Will try to post some Renders in the nest days

Post edited by Renomista on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited April 2016

Here is Mei Lin 7 with Warrior Princess hair and the Darkshade outfit that came with it.  Also used the fight queen poses.  I didn't really think I was going to like her, I really bought it for the outfits but I have changed my mind.  I do like her.  The warrior princess hair is pretty awesome, lots and lots of movement morphs.  The two weapons (sorry I have a massive migraine and the actual word for these escapes me at the moment) parented to the hands perfectly with no effort on my part. Simple Rocks n Drops for the background with Easy Promo LIghts from Destiny's Garden.  I thought I would show the post worked one as well so you can see a little bit of what Ron's brushes can do.  I need to practice with those a lot more and re read the tutorials I have but they are pretty easy to use and I think if you do postwork, well worth it.

End of the Road.png
    800 x 640 - 765K
    End of the Road 1.jpg
    800 x 640 - 192K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited April 2016

Linwelly said:

Here is a render of the  Maia Hair http://www.daz3d.com/maia-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s in 3delight. I've always wanted a hair with an insanely long braid, and this one is just the right thing. It's a bit of a pity it only comes for the g3f but I guess with some pushing and shoving it will go on a g2 figure as well. The form here was made only from the pose controls but the braid has freaking 26 bones to bend twist and move sideways and the whole thing can be made about the double length with another slider. The girl is about 50% Bethany and Amy.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/cc/90664711f2094098ae33d4bfca424e.jpg

Love this hair and so glad i picked up it looks awesome!

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Looking good! Linwelly, I really like your Amy/Bethany combination and I bet you had fun with 26 hair bones. (That sounds funny!) Sonya, how weird- I've had a migraine all day (and I think I've had four my entire life! Go with ice water, no caffeine except to take with your aspirin- it speeds up the analgesics. There was a study in the New England Journal of Medicine on that.)  Anyway I love the action and the expression goes really well with it- grit and determination!  

The Rocks N Drops was discussed in length waaaay back in thread two or three (or both.) For those who don't know, it has a wonderful CURVED backdrop which continues onto the floor. (Hint- would make a great emissive!) 

Thanks for sharing Linwelly and Ice Dragon Art!

Novica said:

Looking good! Linwelly, I really like your Amy/Bethany combination and I bet you had fun with 26 hair bones. (That sounds funny!) Sonya, how weird- I've had a migraine all day (and I think I've had four my entire life! Go with ice water, no caffeine except to take with your aspirin- it speeds up the analgesics. There was a study in the New England Journal of Medicine on that.)  Anyway I love the action and the expression goes really well with it- grit and determination!  

The Rocks N Drops was discussed in length waaaay back in thread two or three (or both.) For those who don't know, it has a wonderful CURVED backdrop which continues onto the floor. (Hint- would make a great emissive!) 

Thanks for sharing Linwelly and Ice Dragon Art!

Ya sadly none of my meds are working this time around.  Because they are due to a physical injury, I usually go to the chiro every other week (the deep tissue massage makes a huge difference) but i haven't gone in six weeks.  Was hoping I could cut back.... Apparently not...Sleeping on ice packs tonight. Not complaining though, lots of people out there are far worse off than I am.  And I have this wonderful program to play with and even if I'm not up to actually making anything, there is plenty to read and learn.

Fisty said:

Thank you!  I will definitely give this a try as it looks like it will hit some of those pressure points for me.

Well, Alex Hair is back! 

edited April 2016

An in the Cart, Now only the Vintage Ice Cream Truck is MIA

Post edited by Renomista on

Did anyone ever find out what the story was with that one?

Novica said:

Did anyone ever find out what the story was with that one?

Its Back today together with Sloshwerks beautifull Ice Cream Parlor

George todays "little" DMB is also very nice

George of Hearts

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Popping my head up.  I'm normally just a lurker, but I had to say how much I love this George image!!! Nicely done!

@Novica  Apparently, it got released early when it shouldn't have.  Both it and the ice cream parlor are in my cart.  They both look great.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited April 2016

Invited Guest Contributer

Wolf 2.0 by AM  http://www.daz3d.com/wolf-2-0-by-am

Log Cabin by AM http://www.daz3d.com/log-cabin-by-am

rendered in Reality 4.2 - DAZ Studio Edition http://www.daz3d.com/reality-4-daz-studio-edition

wolf.jpg
    989 x 1280 - 647K
    Post edited by Sasje on

Ballerina George

Ballerina George

edited April 2016

Hye for Mei Lin 7    Maia Hair (G3F)  Medieval Royalty  EDIT: Poses are DM's Sensual Grace which is a nice, relaxed pose set.

One thing about Hye, she has reddish-brown eyebrows so to me, the really dark/black hair doesn't look good with it. (And I hate thin eyebrows. But going to use her morphs on other characters and ditch the materials, but showing you the original setup.)

The Princess Dress is very elegant. A bit confusing, in Content Library it says Princess Dress then there are several listings. And this says Medieval Royalty, no mention of Princess Dress in the title.

HyeMaiaHair2SIG.jpg
    533 x 800 - 262K
    HyeMaiaHairSig.jpg
    533 x 800 - 275K
    Post edited by Novica on

Sasje, the Reality wolf is beautiful. I love that his snout is so close to the front of the render, it really puts the viewer right there in the scene!

Renomista, you have too much time on your hands lol!

BTW, extremely nice of Daz to give people the 10% for the daily mindblower from yesterday, as otherwise it would have penalized people who bought George yesterday. They also knew they would be dealing with a LOT of canceled orders from yesterday, and people would buy the same things today. (As people stated in the wee hours of the morning that was going to be their intention. I was thinking, "Poor Support! They're going to get flooded.") It was a smart move but also a very considerate one. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

That's a pretty outfit. I admit, I'm not terribly into George, but I agree that is great for those who still want him and the added discount he brings.

edited April 2016

That's a pretty outfit. I admit, I'm not terribly into George, but I agree that is great for those who still want him and the added discount he brings.

He ended up costing me under $2 because when I took him out of the cart yesterday, I was getting enough other things that when their prices went up 10%, it was only $1.85 difference. 

Today I'm looking at a bunch of things to weed through, I know I'm not getting Lee later this month (tomorrow, the next day, who knows?) because the Pro Bundle of Mei Lin was not useful to me other than a hair (Maia) and character (Hye) so I won't get a Lee discount. Don't need anymore of those type characters, haven't used my Gen 2 yet! 

What are you folks looking at this last day?  I'm still liking the movie theater Priya,  The Strongroom.  Let's chat about that last one- you can't tell unless you look closely in the main promo, but it has a TRAP DOOR IN THE FLOOR.  Handy for adventure stories!

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

BTW, extremely nice of Daz to give people the 10% for the daily mindblower from yesterday, as otherwise it would have penalized people who bought George yesterday. They also knew they would be dealing with a LOT of canceled orders from yesterday, and people would buy the same things today. (As people stated in the wee hours of the morning that was going to be their intention. I was thinking, "Poor Support! They're going to get flooded.") It was a smart move but also a very considerate one. 

Yes it is nice, but it would be nicer for us European folks who do their shopping directly after rollover if they would do it right from the beginning. And it is not like this was not forseeable. Would also save costs on their side and probably boost sales too...

Novica said:

Renomista, you have too much time on your hands lol!

Unfortunaly you are right. I'm ill at home and this is all I'm able to do between naps... Tomorrow I try again to do at least some real work remotely from home.

If I find time inbetween I will Testdrive the Ice Cream Van

Novica said:

What are you folks looking at this last day?  I'm still liking the movie theater Priya,  The Strongroom.  Let's chat about that last one- you can't tell unless you look closely in the main promo, but it has a TRAP DOOR IN THE FLOOR.  Handy for adventure stories!

Priya is really nice! Good buy!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

I'm looking forward to lee7. I can always use male characters and content even if it is martial arts content. And I vote for male stuff with my wallet

i picked up grey alien

da glowing eyes for Iray 

planex x-2

and that free vampire bundle in the freebie section.

Hope you start feeling better Renomista. I'll look for that grey alien on your thread soon Serene Night. Sarge might have his hands full!

I haven't bought anything new since Mei Lin. I picked up an older item the Dragon Forge and Mec4d's shaders vol 1 and 2.  I think I am pretty much done.  There has been nothing but sales since I joined in September (NOT complaining just a bit overwhelmed at this point lol) I so much stuff its going to take me months to try it all out.  And I need to sit down and use the stuff now and read the reamdme's and really figure out how all of this stuff really works.  I still have a large wish list but a lot of it is stuff like zevo's growing up and v4 for gen2 etc etc.  that is just going to have to wait a bit.  George would be pretty useful as a troll or giant or cyclops but I just can't buy anymore.  I do keep adding the yummy stuff you guys keep showing to my wish list though lol.

This discussion has been closed.