DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.1.17 General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited October 2013

Rogerbee said:
    ERC Freeze crashes DS for me too, regardless if I start it from Property Hierarchy or Parameters Tab in edit mode. Submitted ticket with error reports.

What exactly is ERC Freeze and what would I have to be doing to need to use it!?

It's easy to forget that there are relative newbies around with no idea what may be in store for them should they wander off the beaten track.

CHEERS!
    If you make a character morph for, say genesis 1, that moves or stretches a geometry of the figure so much (say morph that stretches the arms making them longer) that the bones of the figure are no longer in the right position when you apply the morph (meaning bones stay in their original shape and position as in original, non morphed Genesis) and than when you apply some pose, bending, you will get a mess (say arms wont bend at elbow but in the middle of forearm) because bones are no longer in right place. With such morphs a procedure of adjusting the bones and ERC Freeze is used to modify the bones and morph so that when you apply the morph, bones get automatically repositioned as well and not just the geometry or outer shell if you will. As far as i know. :cheese:

pic 1 genesis
    pic 2 morph (bones are still in same position)
    pic 3 adjusted bones after which ERC Freeze should be made, which crashes

Clip_22.jpg
    552 x 539 - 171K
    Clip_21.jpg
    552 x 539 - 161K
    Clip_20.jpg
    552 x 539 - 157K
    Post edited by ben98120000 on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

I see, I'll maybe delve into that when they fix it.

CHEERS!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Yea, I hope they fix it SOON and not DAZ SOON!

• Kevin RyeKevin Rye Posts: 392
    edited December 1969

ryemac3 said:
    Can you please report on a bug on this so we can track it?

Done.

I received an email that said the crazy crashing problem was fixed. Does this mean a new build is on the way?

edited December 1969

Well, tried a trick that Cath had mentioned over at Hivewire. Basically remove most of the morphs except the base ones and see if ERC Freeze can keep from crashing. NOPE. Crashed again. I give up. Until DAZ fixes this I'm tempted to break open Poser Pro and play around in there. I'm so tired of them breaking things with every new release. And it's not like it's something simple, ERC is very important for parts of content creation. That's really bad and it's a total turn off!

edited December 1969

Did the Betas have the problem!?

I suppose one thing to consider is that the year is nearly over and maybe, to make a big splash at the start of next year, they're working on DS5 and might begin to give DS4 issues less consideration. Genesis 2 was released quite late in the DS4 schedule, possibly as a way to test it before really going for it in the next version. You never can tell...

CHEERS!

edited October 2013

Yup, a few posts up or on the previous page, I noted that I had uninstalled the current version and reinstalled the public beta with the same results! So I just uninstalled the beta and put back the current version since neither made any difference. Plus not to sound rude but DAZ has the responsibility of releasing solid software regardless of the cycle. This puts a halt to my work flow and god only knows how many others that aren't bothering to post or make bug reports (which kinda sucks as it comes across as I and just handful of other end users have this issue which means it may be looked upon as spurious rather than something serious they need to fix....)

It's too bad that someone like Dimension 3D didn't have some sort of set of tools that included rigging adjustment and ERC Freeze capabilities that could be done OUTSIDE of DAZ Studio. His stuff is always stable and well coded.

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

I see,

We do have to bear in mind that it was reported that they'd been swamped with support tickets and probably bug reports too. Prioritising must be a real pain, so, I guess we have to maybe cut them a little slack and hope they get on top of things eventually. It's also possible that other users many not be sure how to go about posting bug reports.

Just a case of wait and see I guess...

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

I might cut them something but slack right now isn't on my mind! :P

In case anyone that's lurking or what ever can't find the bug report page it's here:

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/requests/new

If it's a bug report you don't need to worry about filling in areas like: Order # or PayPal Transaction #

• DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited October 2013

ryemac3 said:
    ryemac3 said:

Done.

I received an email that said the crazy crashing problem was fixed. Does this mean a new build is on the way?

This and the fix to the ERC Freeze issue will be available in the next beta.

Post edited by DAZ_cjones on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the heads up on the ERC Freeze fix. I've still wrote to Dimension 3D about creating an external program that can handle Adjust Rigging, ERC Freeze and Export Morphs. Might come in handy for content creators that perhaps don't want to deal with DAZ Studio.

When will this beta be made available?

edited October 2013

RAMWolff said:
    Thanks for the heads up on the ERC Freeze fix. I've still wrote to Dimension 3D about creating an external program that can handle Adjust Rigging, ERC Freeze and Export Morphs. Might come in handy for content creators that perhaps don't want to deal with DAZ Studio.

When will this beta be made available?

I don't control when betas go out, so I am not sure. I just know it will be a build with version number 4.6.2.22 or later.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

ryemac3 said:
    ryemac3 said:

Done.

Great :-)

... and maybe fix that overblown screen list of "every morph/rig ever found on the computer" list?

edited October 2013

ryemac3 said:
    ryemac3 said:

Done.

... and maybe fix that overblown screen list of "every morph/rig ever found on the computer" list?

Sorry list is still as long, but its in alphabetical order now.

edited December 1969

ryemac3 said:
    ryemac3 said:

Done.

But it is no good if we can't even SEE it!!! It goes off the screen. No scrolling, no way to get to the end of the list. My computer has a very large screen.

And the other list scrolls downwards; one list going down .. and then stops but not finished ... I'll be working on the offline computer in a bit and make some screenshots for you.

Any hints for Step 1?

edited December 1969

ryemac3 said:
    ryemac3 said:

Done.

But it is no good if we can't even SEE it!!! It goes off the screen. No scrolling, no way to get to the end of the list. My computer has a very large screen.

And the other list scrolls downwards; one list going down .. and then stops but not finished ... I'll be working on the offline computer in a bit and make some screenshots for you.

Any hints for Step 1?

The list I see scrolls. Are we talking about the same list?

edited December 1969

ryemac3 said:
    ryemac3 said:

Done.

Any hints for Step 1?

I hope not. I get one that scrolls but appears to cut off?
    And the full page ... I did up some pages. Hope people don't mind me throwing them in here. If so, I'll understand a break-away thread.
    The big page is number 005. I get out of it by hitting the Esc key.

005.png
    1802 x 1080 - 43K
    004.png
    1238 x 876 - 94K
    003.png
    564 x 829 - 58K
    002.png
    1152 x 870 - 98K
    001.png
    1131 x 869 - 115K
    edited October 2013

Was not a successful project.

009a.png
    1029 x 605 - 86K
    009.png
    1342 x 791 - 112K
    008.png
    718 x 436 - 48K
    007.png
    1138 x 775 - 102K
    006.png
    701 x 994 - 84K
    Post edited by patience55 on
    edited October 2013

Almost ...

015.png
    746 x 849 - 91K
    014.png
    860 x 783 - 88K
    013.png
    1492 x 1011 - 168K
    011.png
    583 x 723 - 82K
    010.png
    1069 x 879 - 142K
    Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

And the last one.

016.png
    936 x 955 - 141K
    edited December 1969

I like to deal with release versions, so, I'll wait till then before delving into things that aren't yet fixed. ERC Freeze sounds like it might be an interesting thing to learn, but one would find it difficult to learn with broken tools.

One thing, aside from DS itself, I'd like to see fixed are hyperlinks in these forums, is it too much to ask that they open in a new tab or window!?

CHEERS!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,884
    edited December 1969

A partial reply to some of Patience55's questions:

Sub-components are properties that are controlled by the current property - for example, left and right morphs controlled by a both-sides property. Controllers are properties that control the current property - for example, a both-sides master control for a left-side morph.

ERC Freeze
    You need to create a new property only if the property you want to set to control the others doesn't yet exist. For example, if you have set a number of morphs (such as a left and a right side morph) and you want a master control, that isn't itself a morph, to set both at once you would need to create it but when adjusting the rigging to a shape the shape property obviously exists and is the thing you want to control the rigging change so there's no need to create a property.

Don't memorise the rigging after using Adjust rigging to shape - that's the opposite of what you want (the rigging should be memorised in its zero state, with no morphs applied, and then adjusting and ERC Freezing links the changes from that setup to the morph - if you memorise there are no changes to link, and the zeroed state will no longer match the zeroed shape).

The figure selection determines which figure is being looked at. The Node selection is the node with the property you want to control the new ERC links. The Property list under node will be the properties on the node. The Figure selection determines what properties are listed at the bottom, the only effect the other two picks have is that the Property pick will be removed from the list of controllable properties.

The properties listed in the bottom panel are those on the selected figure that are not zeroed, and so could be controlled by the ERC link, with the current control property excluded of course (it can't control itself). When setting up shape adjustment you should have only the morph and the adjusted join centres in their non-zero state, though it's still wise to run your eye down the list to check for interlopers.

Although Float properties are the most common it's laso possible to have Boolean (on/off, such as visibility) and list (like shadow types on lights) properties for example.

edited December 1969

So, that's what happens when it works....

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

So, that's what happens when it works....

CHEERS!

By the way the bug was only when ERC freezing rigging properties(center point, end point, orientation ect) and hidden properties. The case where you are making a dial to control another morph or series of morphs still works.

edited December 1969

Whatever, it sounds like something to delve into when everything works.

CHEERS!

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

One thing, aside from DS itself, I'd like to see fixed are hyperlinks in these forums, is it too much to ask that they open in a new tab or window!?

CHEERS!

I agree, that would be my preference too.

If you are on windows, right clicking on the link and selecting open in new window or tab will do the job.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

If you are on windows, right clicking on the link and selecting open in new window or tab will do the job.

Add me that list. Happens in the forums too, I'd love it if a link auto opens in a new tab regardless if it's an external link or a site link to another page or the the store. I keep forgetting to right click and choose that option even after all this time. Quite annoying esp since this has got to be one the slowest loading forums out there I belong to. So trying to hit the back button will cause the page to take a while to reload. I keep thinking it's like dial up but only on this web site! lol

edited December 1969

ryemac3 said:
    ryemac3 said:

Done.

Any hints for Step 1?

I hope not. I get one that scrolls but appears to cut off?
    And the full page ... I did up some pages. Hope people don't mind me throwing them in here. If so, I'll understand a break-away thread.
    The big page is number 005. I get out of it by hitting the Esc key.

Ah the groups pop-up, I was thinking of another one.

There is another dialog for editing groups that doesn't take up so much space:
    Put parameters in Edit mode
    Select a one or more properties (this method lets you edit multiple properties at once)
    Show Context Menu (right click on PC)
    Select "Set > Property Group"

You'll get a dialog with a "Path Combox" to select existing groups, and "+" that will let you add a new one.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Middle mouse button click does the job

edited December 1969

Yeah, you can do that, but, you get so used to what hyperlinks do in other forums that you forget to do it that way here.

CHEERS!