What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    kyoto kid said:

..the ability  to select and change the resolution of textures from within the programme rather than having to do it in a 2D app.

yes

• RAMWolff said:

I have a couple of new ones.

If you have an object in the scene that's set to transparent (IE, you have a posing box with the front made transparent) and then you try to select the figure within the program thinks you want to select the posing box.  One of two things can be done about this... a Ctrl click directly on the figure should allow the user to select or set up DS to ignore the front most object if it's made transparent. 

Click the icon next to the eye, a pointer with a check mark, to make it unselectable (the check turns to an x) or multi-seelct items you want to click through and use the Selectable button in Parameters.

RAMWolff said:

I've had to reposition many premade emmisive light sets because they show up in the render as black ugly objects.  There should be a way to make those NOT show up in the render while still emitting light if the end user so desires. 

A light emitting surface has to be visible, but a light with non-point geometry can be set to Render Emitter false to stop it from blocking the camera.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited July 2016
    j cade said:
    nicstt said:

I'd like to be able to re-render only a select small area, to change one thing. I use canvas which is an improvement, but I'd like to just be able to say... Re-render a 1 or 2 inch sqare area I Can select.

You can do this with the Spot Render tool - use the Tool Settings pane to tell it to render to a new window.

It doesn't render it at the appropriate resolution though. The image res is 2000x1000; I want to render a part of that, it would need to render what I select at the resolution proportionate to the whole image.

If your saying what I think you're saying, spot render to new window does that automatically

It does?

Hmm thinking I'm misunderstanding how it works, or missed a button; well there are lots of buttons and I've missed a few, and have no clue what others do. :) So... it's certainly possible.

EDIT:

Well damn me, I never noticed the new window setting; thank you for that.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Well I have a new feature for DAZ Studio 5 I'd like to see and that is the AMD ProRender engine being adding to our list of render engine choices.

fred9803 said:

I'm also longing for a Poser style morph brush to push a little bit of geometry around. It was awsome to be able to shink morph clothing and put in creases. And also morph depressions onto beds, pillows and chairs etc.

+1 yes

RAMWolff said:
    fred9803 said:

I'm also longing for a Poser style morph brush to push a little bit of geometry around. It was awsome to be able to shink morph clothing and put in creases. And also morph depressions onto beds, pillows and chairs etc.

+1 yes

+1 for me too.

• AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 791
    Taozen said:

I'd like the Scene tab's selection to be fixed. It often selects tons of items my mouse wasn't even near. Not sure why it does that.

Have you check if ClickLock is turned on? You can find the option under Mouse Properties > Buttons. Otherwise you may have a problem with a hanging mouse button. 

Doubleclicking when you single click is another problem with some mice/trackballs, caused by bad or worn-out microswitches, dirt, or other things. There are long threads about it in the Logitech forums. The M570 trackball is often affected by it. 

No no. This is a longstanding and well known issue. DAZ will likely never fix it. I hope they do. But considering the number of years it's been like that, not keeping my hopes up, hence my joking about it being a feature I'd like to see fixed.

• ColemanRughColemanRugh Posts: 511

1 - Make the Surfaces and shader mixer all one window. Make one entire window so users can see what all is going on. Make the shader mixer mess understandable to the newbies. Dump the Poser way of the labrinth of nodes and craziness and make it digestable. It's made way way more difficult than it really is. If you release a PRO version of something... make it PRO and not for tech geeks only.

2 - If I hit 'copy' on a material zone... COPY IT. Right now if I copy it, it only seems to copy the last parameter I had highlighted. So, I have to save the zone as ashader preset to actually make it work... when I thought 'copy' as going to actually 'copy' the entire zone... and not just one setting. DAZ's ability to select multiples elements on the fly is the absolute badass bomb... if it could with whole material zone sets and transfer them over in single clicks... a thousand yummies!!

3 - If DAZ is committed to IRAY full board but still supporting 3DL... then support both. I want to buy fabulous DAZ content, not thousand dollar graphics cards. If IRAY becomes the sole texture/shader my store buying will dump hard. Unless DAZ comes up with a script to make IRAY shaders 3DL ready. If you created this and it worked 100% I'd be a DAZ Connect junky and loudly praise it in the forums. Support 3DL 100% and your customers will back you.

4 - Create a V4 DUF ready base shader/material like the HSS/UBER... that is VERY easy for Vicki4 users to make all their Poser textures work in DAZ as a basic template. It doesn't have to be kickass quality... just a basic material that makes all old textures ready for a basic 3DL render... instead V4 users having to do it manually... and you will win even more customers. Ease of use is Daz Studio's badassery... make it even more easy to use for oldtimers who spent all that money on your previous Vickis.

5 - Give Fixmypcmike and Richard Haseltine a raise!! They rock beyond belief

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687

1 - Make the Surfaces and shader mixer all one window. Make one entire window so users can see what all is going on. Make the shader mixer mess understandable to the newbies. Dump the Poser way of the labrinth of nodes and craziness and make it digestable. It's made way way more difficult than it really is. If you release a PRO version of something... make it PRO and not for tech geeks only.

2 - If I hit 'copy' on a material zone... COPY IT. Right now if I copy it, it only seems to copy the last parameter I had highlighted. So, I have to save the zone as ashader preset to actually make it work... when I thought 'copy' as going to actually 'copy' the entire zone... and not just one setting. DAZ's ability to select multiples elements on the fly is the absolute badass bomb... if it could with whole material zone sets and transfer them over in single clicks... a thousand yummies!!

3 - If DAZ is committed to IRAY full board but still supporting 3DL... then support both. I want to buy fabulous DAZ content, not thousand dollar graphics cards. If IRAY becomes the sole texture/shader my store buying will dump hard. Unless DAZ comes up with a script to make IRAY shaders 3DL ready. If you created this and it worked 100% I'd be a DAZ Connect junky and loudly praise it in the forums. Support 3DL 100% and your customers will back you.

4 - Create a V4 DUF ready base shader/material like the HSS/UBER... that is VERY easy for Vicki4 users to make all their Poser textures work in DAZ as a basic template. It doesn't have to be kickass quality... just a basic material that makes all old textures ready for a basic 3DL render... instead V4 users having to do it manually... and you will win even more customers. Ease of use is Daz Studio's badassery... make it even more easy to use for oldtimers who spent all that money on your previous Vickis.

I wouldn't want Shader Mixer up on the surface tab:  the surface adjustments to a shaders' settings need to be readily available as I work with the object, but the gears and pipes of the shader itself are independent of my mesh, and of my viewport.  It would, however, help to know which shaders (Iray Uber, Daz Default, others?) build their node-trees internally and which do not--- AoA's SSS, for instance, works from a S/M node tree, an so do my Noir shaders, but the omUberSurface/UberLight/UberVolume don't even pull up anything in S/M, et cetera...

Ready-made V4 base material settings, map independent, for Iray or for 3DL, are easy enough to make and readily available on SCG or dA if you dig a bit.

Some vendors only support one renderer and some only support another.  I wouldn't make it a requirement to support both except in DOs.

+ 10 on copying materials:  we should be able to select all (as in every single one of the) parameters of a selected material, or only these four, or whichever as needed, when we want to copy material settings from one surface to another.  For that matter, a dialogue that says "The target surface shader does not match the source material.  Do you want to apply the source shader?" would be helpful as well.  Some times you don't want to copy shader and all, but some times you do.

I've put in a Feature Request for Hierarchical Material Presets not to apply to every material in the mesh automatically.

• fred9803 said:

+32,294

This is one thing from Poser that I absolutely, truly miss in Studio, and am frustrated by the lack of many times.

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    Morana said:
    fred9803 said:

+32,294

This is one thing from Poser that I absolutely, truly miss in Studio, and am frustrated by the lack of many times.

Totally agree with this. There are so many times when you want to adjust just one little bit of geometry, which would be natural as anything in any modeller, but there's no magic morph that you've bought that covers that one area. It would solve so many problems with conforming items and weird figure morph issues.

edited August 2016

5 - Give Fixmypcmike and Richard Haseltine a raise!! They rock beyond belief

THIS! 

To add to the first point.... A friend over at Hivewire was trying to recreate some effects from Poser for DAZ Studio and found that the Shader Mixer when showing the previews would crash out DAZ Studio each and every time.  So there is horrible bugs in this area that need to be addressed and yea please make this a bit more streamlined.  It's a mess.  Ken had to hook up 3 times the nodes in Shader Mixer to achieve the same effect he got from Poser's nodes.  Ridiculous! 

To add to the second point.... I couldn't agree more.  Why can't we just right click on one sub surface area and copy and paste that?  Should be more ease of use abilities in this area. 

To add to the third point.... I agree.  In the new Poser 11 the shaders and material settings are compatible (within reason) for both Firefly and Superfly.  I know that for a fact because my Equipment pack for Hivewire had allot of metals and they looked great under BOTH rendering engines.  Sure there were small differeces but imagine being able to set up skin, metal, cloth and all the rest in DAZ Studio and have them all render beautifully under both rendering engines?  That would rock so hard!  Seriously! 

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,565

I'd like light to be in one location for Iray. I realize there is a utility to do this but having the lights in multiple areas is counter intuitive.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    2 - If I hit 'copy' on a material zone... COPY IT. Right now if I copy it, it only seems to copy the last parameter I had highlighted.

Material copy/paste in DAZ|Studio has always had a few wrinkles that sometimes trip people up. The copy picks up parameter names, and the paste affects those parameters with names that match the copy material. The shader type isn't involved. This becomes a problem when you try to copy/paste two materials with different shaders — it's common for different 3Delight shaders, e.g. UberSurface, AoA SSS, HSS and D|S Default to have parameters that do the same thing but have different names. The whole thing is more complicated if you want to toss Iray into the mix; it has very few parameter names in common with the standard 3Delight shaders. Change the base shader type of your paste material first, then you can do the copy/paste.

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    2 - If I hit 'copy' on a material zone... COPY IT. Right now if I copy it, it only seems to copy the last parameter I had highlighted.

Material copy/paste in DAZ|Studio has always had a few wrinkles that sometimes trip people up. The copy picks up parameter names, and the paste affects those parameters with names that match the copy material. The shader type isn't involved. This becomes a problem when you try to copy/paste two materials with different shaders — it's common for different 3Delight shaders, e.g. UberSurface, AoA SSS, HSS and D|S Default to have parameters that do the same thing but have different names. The whole thing is more complicated if you want to toss Iray into the mix; it has very few parameter names in common with the standard 3Delight shaders. Change the base shader type of your paste material first, then you can do the copy/paste.

Why doesn't it just copy the entire base shader as part of the copy function though?

• lx said:

Why doesn't it just copy the entire base shader as part of the copy function though?

I think it's for consistency - if you copy from a bone to another bone it copies the settings, not the joint parameters; if you copy from a surface to another surface it copies the settings, not the shader.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687

Including the option to copy the shader base as well would be very welcome.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    Morana said:
    fred9803 said:

+32,294

Absolutely agree. +32,295!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

an export or transfer g3m to carrara

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Render resolution can be scene or Camera specific, unlike now where it applies everywhere.

And also more than one Auxillary Viewport.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Carrara has to be updated to use the Genesis 3s, an exporter/importer would just be stripping out features that make the Genesis 3s new and improved.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    Taozen said:

I'd like the Scene tab's selection to be fixed. It often selects tons of items my mouse wasn't even near. Not sure why it does that.

Have you check if ClickLock is turned on? You can find the option under Mouse Properties > Buttons. Otherwise you may have a problem with a hanging mouse button. 

Doubleclicking when you single click is another problem with some mice/trackballs, caused by bad or worn-out microswitches, dirt, or other things. There are long threads about it in the Logitech forums. The M570 trackball is often affected by it. 

No no. This is a longstanding and well known issue. DAZ will likely never fix it. I hope they do. But considering the number of years it's been like that, not keeping my hopes up, hence my joking about it being a feature I'd like to see fixed.

I don't know about it.

What is the ticket number? 

• Petercat said:

A few things:

1. The 'Gray Box of Doom' (a.k.a. DS whining: 'I-I can't FIND it!): Could we have a button option on the gray box to FIND the Items that DS can't find? Please?
    2. Related to above: A 'Search selected folder' button/option. Point DS in the direction of where the missing items are, and let it search/locate.
    3. If certain items (say, something 'data' related) has been moved out of the correct folder, DS could give us a head's up after the Find...and suggest where it SHOULD be. "Do you want to move this here?" If the User says YES, it copies the misplaced item/folder to the CORRECT spot & then DELETES the copy in the wrong spot.
    4. As stated earlier, fix the drag/drop function in DS...would make it easier to organize content.

That's all that comes to mind for the moment. :)

Greg

It is so frustrating to see the grey boxes of doom without a search option. Then I minimize Studio, and there are the files in an open folder on my desktop. I want to scream, "They're right there, you electronic idiot!" But my cat wouldn't like the noise.

Just one thing I noticed last night:

It MAY be a bug in DS.

If I open up a Poser-format file with a broken link, DS DOES call up a 'Find It' alert box...so you CAN surf your system and locate the files.

IF my assessment of this is correct...if it IS a bug...hopefully we COULD see a fixed 'Grey Box' that allows link finding in v5.0? PUH-LLLEEESEEEE?! winklaugh

Be well, all.

Greg

One thing I would like... Is there a way to tweak expressions without having the guides show up over the face? I can't see often what the expression looks like, when I choose the head and dial something in. I'd like not to see the navigation/arrow box.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Switch to node select.

That's what I do is change expressins in node select

Thanks guys! I will try that.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    nicstt said:

Render resolution can be scene or Camera specific, unlike now where it applies everywhere.

You can do this! create a camera > select the camera in the parameters tab and camera there is a section labled dimensions,  select that and then hit "use local dimensions"

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    j cade said:
    nicstt said:

You can do this! create a camera > select the camera in the parameters tab and camera there is a section labled dimensions,  select that and then hit "use local dimensions"

Correct.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,158
    edited August 2016

Please change color of ani blocks in daz 4.9 back to dark blue with dark style like they are in daz 4.8

Capture.JPG
    1867 x 939 - 257K
    Post edited by Ivy on