Luxus for Carrara released! Intro sale price at 30% off.

Comments

• rk66rk66 Posts: 433
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    short test with simple spline and metaball shapes.

rk.

lux_spline+metaball.jpg
    1024 x 678 - 129K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

I'm impressed with how much is covered - splines, terrains, plants, ocean primitive all work - ok, the materials may need adjusting but the models are all translated well. For me the major omission is hair, but I can see why! I hope it will be possible in the future as and when Luxrender adds a hair type - I believe it is being developed. The fact that it handles replicators as proper instanced objects is a major plus.

• The Pencil NeckThe Pencil Neck Posts: 163
    edited December 1969

I started on the Odysseon Computer Center model but last night, I retreated to the old Kazonica Security Station.

I'm working on getting textures right and learning how the luxrender textures work.

I've attached a few pictures. I've hit what I think are two different bugs... one of which I've already talked about when I was working on Odysseon CC.

That first error involves making a texture illuminate. If you look at the mostly rendered picture, the computer terminals in the background are illuminated. That's the effect I'm going for. And it looks kinda cool when the other lights are down... except that other surfaces appear to pick up the area light. If you'll notice, the "bolts" are lighting up with the green of the computer screens. I see that a lot where one texture lights up other textures.

I performed an experiment where I created a cube and put a texture on each face of the cube. Then I took one of the textures and made it an area light...and it worked perfectly. Then I took another texture and made it an area light... and it lit up the whole cube. I have no idea why this is happening. I don't see any connections. But I'm getting it to happen in lots of different instances.

I attached another example of this where the lights on the key-pad in the corridor seem to light up a whole bunch of other textures.

I've shot Spheric Labs a PM. But... hey... it's the weekend. :)

The second issue is with bulb lights. I don't know but it might be happening with other kinds of lights, too. But in one of the attached pictures, you'll see some small white dots. You can see them in the fully rendered picture, too, if you look. Those are the bulbs. They're showing up in the pictures. I don't think that should be happening.

bulbHighlight.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 151K
    toneMaps-Model_0.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 48K
    basepicture.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 458K
    edited June 2013

Been working more on a portrait / human shaders. This is my latest example, unretouched out of Luxrender.

V4MyMorphsImproved_Eyes.jpg
    600 x 600 - 43K
    Post edited by PhilW on
    edited December 1969

Sorry, yet another question - is it possible to change the default screen refresh from 12 sec to 3 sec?

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Sorry, yet another question - is it possible to change the default screen refresh from 12 sec to 3 sec?

Hmm. I need to add that too.

You can do that in the extra settings Paste the following line into the Extra Settings:

"integer displayinterval" [3]
    edited December 1969

Oh yeah, and awesome portrait.

edited December 1969

exphotonmap looks problematic to me.

I get the error "Unable to store enough photons in the indirect photonmap. Unable to render the image.", but it's not true. The image continues to render and I see an image and caustics. I am assume one part of the algorithm is not working. After reading some more stuff, it looks like certain criteria in the scene has to be there.

So I am guessing that the error should be interpreted as "Some aspects of exphotonmap are not helping you"

You may want to check out the refine brush
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Refine_Brush

• edited December 1969

I get the error "Unable to store enough photons in the indirect photonmap. Unable to render the image.", but it's not true. The image continues to render and I see an image and caustics. I am assume one part of the algorithm is not working. After reading some more stuff, it looks like certain criteria in the scene has to be there.

So I am guessing that the error should be interpreted as "Some aspects of exphotonmap are not helping you"

I'll give it a try - but since I have no dialog to enter photons - I can't limit them to keep the error from happening. Mine keeps rendering but the caustics never show up since the photon map bombed.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

...That first error involves making a texture illuminate. If you look at the mostly rendered picture, the computer terminals in the background are illuminated. That's the effect I'm going for. And it looks kinda cool when the other lights are down... except that other surfaces appear to pick up the area light. If you'll notice, the "bolts" are lighting up with the green of the computer screens. I see that a lot where one texture lights up other textures.

I have to cut up a lot of my architectural models to extract the polys I want for AnythingGlows... It's a pain.
    edited December 1969

I'll give it a try - but since I have no dialog to enter photons - I can't limit them to keep the error from happening. Mine keeps rendering but the caustics never show up since the photon map bombed.

The parameters of exphotonmap is entirely undocumented in the LuxRender spec, yet it was in LuxRender back in 2009, so I am thinking they don't care much for it. I had to read the LuxRender source code:
    -> http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Scene_file_format_1.0

You can paste the following into the Extra Settings and it will override the SurfaceIntegrator, you will then be able to increase the number of photons by editing the values.

SurfaceIntegrator "exphotonmap"
     "integer directphotons" [200000]
     "integer causticphotons" [20000]
     "integer indirectphotons" [200000]
     "integer radiancephotons" [200000]

edited December 1969

...That first error involves making a texture illuminate. If you look at the mostly rendered picture, the computer terminals in the background are illuminated. That's the effect I'm going for. And it looks kinda cool when the other lights are down... except that other surfaces appear to pick up the area light. If you'll notice, the "bolts" are lighting up with the green of the computer screens. I see that a lot where one texture lights up other textures.

I have to cut up a lot of my architectural models to extract the polys I want for AnythingGlows... It's a pain.

Apparently, that's what I'll have to do. At least for now. I have to find the polygons associated with that shading domain and I have to detach them and create a separate model for them. Is that going to hopelessly screw up the UV maps?

As a test, I created a 3x3 vertex grid. I assigned a Shading Domain to each polygon. I set up some random Matte, Metal, Cloth, and Glossy textures for those Shading Domains. THEN I selected the middle Shading Domain and set it up as an Area Light. Then I turned up the volume on that area light and the 3 polygons above and one polygon beside it all lit up.

THEN, as a test, I removed the area light from the middle texture and applied it to the upper left texture instead. It lit up the two textures to the right (topmiddle and topright).

It's very weird.

Like you said, I only made it work when I pulled my "light" shading domain out of the model and created a separate model for it. That sucks. If it happens with the Anything Glows, too, is it a Carrara issue instead of a Luxus/Luxrender issue?

gridLightTopLeft.png
    640 x 480 - 43K
    gridLightsUp.png
    640 x 480 - 41K
    gridLightsDown.png
    640 x 480 - 76K
    edited December 1969

That sucks. If it happens with the Anything Glows, too, is it a Carrara issue instead of a Luxus/Luxrender issue?

I was assuming it is an IBL/shader domain issue since there are issues with both renderers.... Carrara does not emit enough light from a shader domain, LuxRender seems to emit too much light from the shader domain.... In both engines the issue is in treating the domain as truly a separate object from the rest of the mesh.... but each is having different issues because of it.

For Carrara's GI there is a plugin SHADERS PLUS at digitalcarversguild.com that adds a brightness control to the top of the shader tree so you can boost an emissive glow shader....

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 516
    edited December 1969

You can paste the following into the Extra Settings and it will override the SurfaceIntegrator, you will then be able to increase the number of photons by editing the values.

I tried that the other day. It does not work as your exporter adds the extra info to the end of the render setting, so you get 2 entries for exphotonmap, the first is from your exporter, which is used.

edited June 2013

pencilneck,

Could you pm me that test scene?

Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited December 1969

I tried that the other day. It does not work as your exporter adds the extra info to the end of the render setting, so you get 2 entries for exphotonmap, the first is from your exporter, which is used.

No, the last one overrides the first. Try this, copy and paste exactly:

"integer directphotons" [1000000]
     "integer causticphotons" [1000000]
     "integer indirectphotons" [1000000]
     "integer radiancephotons" [1000000]  

edited December 1969

Hi Spheric

Error when using sampler and exphotonmap:

[2013-06-01 23:33:57 Info: 0] Shooting photons (target: 220000)...
    [2013-06-01 23:33:59 Error: 43] Unable to store enough photons in the indirect photonmap. Unable to render the image.

Check what lights you have in scene. I normally use mesh(area) lights or sun, and do not see that error.

edited December 1969

No, the last one overrides the first. Try this, copy and paste exactly:

"integer causticphotons" [1000000]
     "integer indirectphotons" [1000000]
     "integer radiancephotons" [1000000]  

I already have a list of settings.
    I tried again, and this time Lux did use the extra settings. So looking good for that.

These are the default settings for exphotonmap:-

"integer maxdepth" [48]
     "integer maxphotondepth" [16]
     "integer nphotonsused" [50]
     "float maxphotondist" [0.100000001490116]
     "bool finalgather" ["true"]
     "integer finalgathersamples" [32]
     "string renderingmode" ["directlighting"]
     "float gatherangle" [10.000000000000000]
     "string rrstrategy" ["efficiency"]
     "float rrcontinueprob" [0.649999976158142]
     "string lightstrategy" ["auto"]
    edited December 1969

pencilneck,

Could you pm me that test scene?

I sent you two PMs: one with the luxout and one with the car file.

Since I hadn't saved the thing at the various steps, I killed the object I had detached and made separate. Then I copied one of the other polygons, moved it to the old Middle spot, and textured it with the Middle texture (which is the one with the Light applied.)

It exhibits the same behavior I had been talking about earlier. So it should be a good test.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Also, did you see my previous e-mail about the Bulbs leaving some sort of little circle artifact? Could it be because they were duplicated bulbs? I created a spot light and it didn't have the error.

edited December 1969

I sent 2 pms back, the forums software won't let me download them. I also emailed you, so you may want to check your spam.

edited December 1969

Carrara cafe forums allows for forum attachments (.zip) if you need...

edited December 1969

I sent 2 pms back, the forums software won't let me download them. I also emailed you, so you may want to check your spam.

Got your PMs. Don't see any e-mail responses anywhere.

I've sent you an e-mail. Let me know if you get it.

edited December 1969

I was looking at adding an HDRI for light source, but I cannot see an option to add map type. ( "String mapping" ["type"] )

edited December 1969

I was looking at adding an HDRI for light source, but I cannot see an option to add map type. ( "String mapping" ["type"] )

In the Asembly room, create an Lux Infinite and put an exr file into the Map parameter.

edited December 1969

In the Asembly room, create an Lux Infinite and put an exr file into the Map parameter.

But I do not see any option to add map type:- Vertical cross, Angular or Equirectangular.

edited December 1969

Luxus just leaves it at the default of latlong. I have never seen an image other than that.

Do you have an hdr image meant for lighting that is not latlong?

edited December 1969

Luxus just leaves it at the default of latlong.That is Equirectangular.

I have never seen an image other than that.
    There are other types, Angular(light probe) and Vertical cross(skybox), and horizontal cross

Do you have an hdr image meant for lighting that is not latlong?I have a large number of Angular(light probes) that I would normally use.

If you are sure that without the map type entry, Lux will default to lat_long, then I will find/use those for now.(I have some on a disk somewhere)

• edited December 1969

Hi Spheric

Error when using sampler and exphotonmap:

[2013-06-01 23:33:57 Info: 0] Shooting photons (target: 220000)...
    [2013-06-01 23:33:59 Error: 43] Unable to store enough photons in the indirect photonmap. Unable to render the image.

Check what lights you have in scene. I normally use mesh(area) lights or sun, and do not see that error.

I'll try that - I did notice in the scene file 1.0 spec that Lux doesn't like bulb or spot lights and I've got both generating caustics in that scene. Is there a lower limit on the detail of the mesh for it to be an effective area light? I also have a Lux infinite projecting an HDRI probe.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    SphericLabs (or anyone!) - I have been having a look at the documentation for Luxrender and trying to put commands in the "Extra Settings" box to try to use the Depth of Field effect, but I am clearly getting something wrong as Lux is reporting a parsing error and not not understanding what I am putting, so it then aborts.

Could you please give an example of the syntax that would be required?

Just bumping this one as I didn't get any replies.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Hi,

does someone know how to create a Colorgradient like this one?

GradientColor.jpg
    676 x 547 - 53K