Subsurface Shaders... WOW!

Comments

• Laticis ImageryLaticis Imagery Posts: 439
    edited May 2013

quick test...before bed.

I x UE2 Light / 1 x Distant Light

Low res settings, within reason. AoA Presets then slightly tweaked.

Presets applied to The Hair / The Lips / The Body / The Suit ( No mouth or Eyes )

Edit: NOTE: Did not replace maps...held down Ctrl and Ignored.

AoA_SSS_Test.jpg
    370 x 600 - 110K
    Post edited by Laticis Imagery on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,874
    edited December 1969

I guess my render also suffer from this blackish parts ...

ToonScientist10pic01.jpg
    750 x 970 - 230K
  • SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited May 2013

I am doing my experiments with the Nichole Skin.

Something which makes me wonder: if I render at a smaller image size I get a pattern at the skin, which isn't visible when I render with a higher resolution - I've attached two images, both use exact the same setting but are rendered at different dimensions.

Edit: You have to view them at fullsize to see it.

2013-05-19_Susan_SSS_2.2_Bikini_med_.jpg
    1125 x 1500 - 264K
    2013-05-19_Susan_SSS_2.2_Bikini_small_.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 131K
    Post edited by Sedor on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    I guess my render also suffer from this blackish parts ...

This is something I'm seeing a lot of.

I tried using the Ears and tail from Bobby25's scifi bunny suit with the pink Gummy applied, it rendered completely black.
    Lights my usual 1 distant and 1UE with a HDRI map, I also tried the 3DUniverse Toon light set.

edited May 2013

kyu2130 I'm sorry but I can't reply to your PM apparently your user name isn't valid or something, ie one of the forum quirks is effecting you.
    The diffuse colour is already white increasing its strength has some effect but I haven't managed to get the same colour as the icon.
    As the whole point of presets is to save the user from fiddling to get certain colours and effects I'm seeing little use to these.

Post edited by scorpio on
  • SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

kyu2130 I'm sorry but I can't reply to your PM apparently your user name isn't valid or something, ie one of the forum quirks is effecting you.

Same happened here, I've send you - kyu2130 - at deviantart the answer.

• Kyu2130Kyu2130 Posts: 97
    edited December 1969

one thing i have noticed is that the presets colors do effect each other. For example I applied gummy textures to the Bot-Genesis head, specifically white on the ear piece and it literally absorbed the colors of the surrounding metal texture behind it.

edited December 1969

kyu2130 said:
    one thing i have noticed is that the presets colors do effect each other. For example I applied gummy textures to the Bot-Genesis head, specifically white on the ear piece and it literally absorbed the colors of the surrounding metal texture behind it.

Yes I agree it seems to have something to do with the colour bleed but I haven't got a clue how to prevent it, I'd be very interested if anyone has found a way or if Age of Armour could perhaps give some advice.

• Kyu2130Kyu2130 Posts: 97
    edited December 1969

My fault i meant to say change the Ambience.Im upload a side by side with ambient adjustments to an image

http://kyu2130.deviantart.com/art/Ambience-372773828?ga_submit_new=10%3A1369069933 that should help get you going.

• KinichKinich Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

Colour tests using SSS Gummy Shaders

Getting rid of the Black Colour Cast

Using 3D Universes free Jasmin Bikini

All items started with the default shaders loaded with no adjustments made then I changed some settings for each bikini as described below. All setting are standard apart from those listed below.

Working Left to Right

1. Default Gummy Shaders:- Material White, Trim-Red
    2. Changed default ID Groups (all default to 4) - Changed 'Material' to Group 1, 'Trim' to Group 2
    3. Changes default Scale to Small
    4. ID Groups to 5 (Material) & 6 & (Trim) Scale set to Small

It would seem that in order for items such as this to show the correct colour you need a unique ID Group (or at least one not common to an other item with the same shader type in the scene) & to change the scale to something appropriate to the size of the item.

If you set the ID Group for both the material & trim to the same unique number (5 or 6 in this case) then you will get the colour bleed seen elsewhere in this thread between the two material zones.

Hope this is some help to those of you having problems :)

Bikini_Colour_Test.jpg
    800 x 450 - 59K
  • Slide3DSlide3D Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

my test Luxus,Reality, Octane for export DS scene (without setup mats for Luxrender or Octane)
    http://slide3d.deviantart.com/art/Render-Test-Export-from-Daz-Studio-4-6-372789084?ga_submit_new=10%3A1369076026

• Age of ArmourAge of Armour Posts: 437
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone,

I'm putting together some renders and info to help answer some of these questions. I'll try to post a little bit about each subject throughout the day as I have the examples done.

I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know I wasn't ignoring the questions. Every time I started typing a response I was being super long winded so I thought maybe pictures would be a better option hehe.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

MarcCCTx said:
    Oooh, even creepier, with the normal (grayscale)map instead of the Diffuse color map.

That is the most interesting render I've seen with these shaders yet. :) I don't have that Cthulu figure, but I'd be very interested to see how your method looks on another creature.

So you applied the gummy preset, then loaded the Normal map into the Diffuse channel? Why is the texture colored then? Or did you put the normal map into the SSS channel? Would a bump or displacement map in the same place give the same results? I want to know this stuff! ;)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited May 2013

I'm getting the black problem as well - kinda given up on it to be honest, I prefer Ubersurface 2.
    Skin is also coming out much too pink or orange tinted for my preferences.

..in one pic I applied a white plastic shader to the spigot handles of a faucet to make them look like the old style ceramic ones. They originally rendered black as well. I went into the surfaces tab and discovered that the slider for the Diffuse channel was at 0%. I simply moved it up and then they rendered with the proper colour.

As to the "extreme pinkness" of skin using the SSS skin shaders, it can be offset by adding a very light blue tint to the Diffuse channel.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the tips, Kinich. Changing the ID Groups numbers for items with multiple material zones
    stops this black color cast. Also changing Scale to Small for clothing details helps as well.
    In the render below I have used Subsurface Shaders Gummy and Plastic.

SWhelmet05pic01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 367K
    edited December 1969

And a close up...

SWhelmet05pic02.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 283K
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone,

I'm putting together some renders and info to help answer some of these questions. I'll try to post a little bit about each subject throughout the day as I have the examples done.

I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know I wasn't ignoring the questions. Every time I started typing a response I was being super long winded so I thought maybe pictures would be a better option hehe.

Cool, looking forward to it :)

In the meantime, here's some more messing around (light set up was 1 spotlight for backlight, 1 linear pointlight for front fill-in and Uberenvironment2 base)...

Kitty.jpg
    656 x 1080 - 294K
    edited May 2013

Here is a sheet showing the light settings used for many of the promo images. Other promos used similar, 2 light , setups but I was running out of room on the sheet for all of them hehe.

When setting up natural lighting or for testing things, I almost always make a plane primitive or load a backdrop prop to serve as a floor then load a skydome to provide reflections.

After that I almost always load an ambient light, such as UberEnvironment, set it to 40% strength then create either a distant or spot light (Distant for exterior scenes, spot for interiors), turn on ray traced shadows and angle the light it so it is coming from the top-front-right. That gives good general lighting to build off of.

For exterior scenes I usually set the distant to a pale yellow and the ambient to pale blue. Even though the blue and yellow would normally cancel each other out, except in shadows, the renders generally turn out warm because the distant light is set to be brighter than the blue ambient light.

In many cases, the lower the angle of the distant light the more I will saturate the distant light and shift it towards orange or red. This gives a nice sunset effect. For high noon renders or for cold days I will lower the saturation to white or near white.

For interior renders I usually keep both lights set to white. With portrait lighting I will start with the basic 2 lights then will often add a strong rim spotlight behind the subject and a specular only spotlight coming from the same angle as the camera. This specular only light helps brighten the eyes and accentuate some of the curves of the face.

An easy way to get this "eye light" at the same angle as the camera is to select the camera, hit CTL-C to copy its position, create a spotlight, select the light and hit CTL-V to paste the settings to the light. Now you can drag and drop the light onto the camera and the light will follow along if you change your camera angle.

These setups give a good starting point. You can always adjust or move around the lights or add some subtle accent lights. My suggestion is get the best look you can with just 2 or 3 lights before you start adding more. Fewer lights = faster renders and less things to adjust or keep track of.

2_LightSetups.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 586K
    Post edited by Age of Armour on
  • lface8lface8 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

What's that last morph (the superhero guy?) It looks like it'd be perfect for a Pixar Style render or even for a Bruce Timm Batman or Superman style render.

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    edited May 2013

Started playing around with this shader (after having it since it was released). Tested on Michael 5, and I must say if this is how they're supposed to turn out I am quite pleased. Used a light preset from Lantios's Core lighting pack (core pack 3 I believe it was from) for both images.

Also deciding if I want the toon shaders or not.

sss_comparison.png
    1280 x 720 - 547K
    Post edited by Sorel on
    edited December 1969

lface8 said:
    What's that last morph (the superhero guy?) It looks like it'd be perfect for a Pixar Style render or even for a Bruce Timm Batman or Superman style render.

That is a mix of a whole lot of different morphs including 3 or 4 I added. It uses Body Builder, Hiro 5, Genesis Creature Bundle, Brennan for Genesis and others. I thought about putting the shape preset up as a little freebie but he requires so many different morph sets I am not sure how many people would have them all.

edited May 2013

Like others I'm getting things rendering out very dark or black, also I'm trying to find a way to tone down the pinky orange tint in the skin that I'm getting with the Toon presets.

With the toon presets are you using just the presets as they are by default or are you using them along with other textures?

If just the straight presets, apply one that is the closest to what you are after then shift-click all the materials from 1_Lip to 3_toenail and adjust either the diffuse color, the subsurface color or both. You should be able to lower the saturation or use the color picker to set the tone to any thing you like.

Because the intent of the toon presets was to be over the top the SSS has a stronger influence to the color than the diffuse color does. Because of this you might want to try adjusting the SSS color first. In realistic skin it would probably be best to weight the diffuse more heavily.

If you are using the toon presets but with other skin textures, like Victoria 5 or something, then set the diffuse color to white. You can then adjust the SSS color also give your desired tone.

If that doesn't help, post a render and I will see if I can't figure out what is causing the issue.

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909
    edited December 1969

MarcCCTx said:
    Oooh, even creepier, with the normal (grayscale)map instead of the Diffuse color map.

That is the most interesting render I've seen with these shaders yet. :) I don't have that Cthulu figure, but I'd be very interested to see how your method looks on another creature.

So you applied the gummy preset, then loaded the Normal map into the Diffuse channel? Why is the texture colored then? Or did you put the normal map into the SSS channel? Would a bump or displacement map in the same place give the same results? I want to know this stuff! ;)

OK, I'm looking at it again, and there is a red color but no map in the subsurface color. There's a blue (with white highlights file in the Normal map slot, There's a gray with green highlights map ---AMB.jpg in the Diffuse Color channel (I thought it was gray only but I opened it up and its got the green in it too) and there don't seem to be any other maps.

ctulhu_wing.jpg
    500 x 500 - 107K
    edited May 2013

Very sorry, I JUST sent you a PM a few seconds ago and didn't see this post.

Post edited by SnowSultan on
    edited May 2013

The thing is, I'm not sure what all the maps are for in the original figure. The original (left) uses six different maps in the head and five in the body. AMB, DIF, DIS, NOR, SPC (+BMP in the head)

Edit: I can see what they're for, but most the figure I use have two or three maps.

ctulhu_compare.jpg
    500 x 500 - 132K
    Post edited by MarcCCTx on
    edited December 1969

I'd assume that those maps are (in order), Ambient (for glows), Diffuse, Displacement, Normal map, Specular, and a Bump map (although having displacements, bump, and normal maps all together is fairly rare; it shows Luthbel is a very skilled content creator). :)

Could you tell me what your Subsurface and Diffuse values are for the right render? I still have no idea why simply putting a backlight on a strong red gummy preset would give you such interesting results.

edited December 1969

I'd assume that those maps are (in order), Ambient (for glows), Diffuse, Displacement, Normal map, Specular, and a Bump map (although having displacements, bump, and normal maps all together is fairly rare; it shows Luthbel is a very skilled content creator). :)

Could you tell me what your Subsurface and Diffuse values are for the right render? I still have no idea why simply putting a backlight on a strong red gummy preset would give you such interesting results.

OK, Diffuse Color is white with the AMB map and a strength of 75. (these are the only changes I made from the red gummy shader)

Subsurface is Red (255,0,0); On is 1 and Strength is 100

I'm not sure why the normal map didn't get erased when I applied the gel/

ctulhu_fly.jpg
    620 x 620 - 302K
    edited May 2013

While my goal was to make the shader user friendly I also wanted it to have a lot of flexibility. Subsurface scattering is fairly complex but my hope is that the shader can allow for a great variety of different looks yet not be too overwhelming.

Here are some images showing the effects that various scale and group ID settings have.

Remember it is important to use the same SSS shading rate and scale settings across all surfaces that share the same group ID.

EffectsOfScaleAndGroupSettings.jpg
    2000 x 650 - 191K
    edited December 1969

Marc: Thank you for the extra information. I think you putting the Ambient map in the Diffuse channel was the key; ambient maps are actually quite rare in DAZ products, and I can only assume that whatever it looks like, it let in just enough Diffuse color to give that really unique look.

Much appreciated!

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

Endrance said:
    Started playing around with this shader (after having it since it was released). Tested on Michael 5, and I must say if this is how they're supposed to turn out I am quite pleased. Used a light preset from Lantios's Core lighting pack (core pack 3 I believe it was from) for both images.

Also deciding if I want the toon shaders or not.

I havent messed with it yet. Are you applying a preset to m5 there? Tinkering with sliders? Or is this the setting right out of the box if you installed SSS?