Is Gen 4 on its way out?

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Pendraia said:
    I recently read a tutorial from Blondie where she discusses how to design a mesh to work with Genesis. There are some differences. So any vendor who just makes clothing for Gen4 and converts to Genesis is likely to run into problems unless they have designed their mesh to take the factors she mentions into account. I can tell you which vendors are likely to get my money and which aren't...; )

Using the variables she describes she makes products that fit a variety of shapes with no or minimal distortion.

Some of these variables she mentions are what I would call good modelling practice anyway and you can see them in items that autofit well. That's the reason why some items transfer better from Gen4 than others.

Personally I do not use any of the older human figures. Genesis is my figure of choice for a lot of reasons.

I understand that for many people they still prefer Gen4 or even Gen3 that is their choice just like using Genesis is mine.

Whichever figure people use I'm sure that people tend to buy from those vendors who provide a quality product.

...doesn't she also have a utility to assist with this?I don't know about utilities as she doesn't mention that in her tutorial but I can comment on what I've read in her product. I've been very careful though not to give away what those things are as I don't think that would be fair to blondie. If people want to know they should buy the tutorial.
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited April 2013

Faerydae said:

Genesis items at DAZ sell better than M4 and V4 items anywhere. That's my experience to date (and believe me, I have a big catalog of Gen 4 items elsewhere).

This may very well be true as far as your product sales go, but I seriously doubt it's the same with other vendors, especially outside of Daz. I don't doubt that vendors make more $ here with Genesis products than they do with Gen 4 products because a lot of people that can't/won't use Genesis don't shop here as much as they used to since the changes, but there's no way Genesis products sell better than Gen 4 products as a whole at the other stores. There's still far too many Poser and DS users not using Genesis at this point.

I won't be done with Gen 4 or Gen 3 figures anytime soon. Even with the importer a lot of Genesis stuff does not work right in Poser.

Again, based on sales, I will politely disagree. I also sell Genesis content at Renderosity. It outsells my Gen 4 catalog there as well. It's certainly possible for this to be true only in my own little niche (mostly androgynous to male, mostly everyday outfits) since I'm 90 degrees off from the "main" sector of the market in terms of content types. I have not yet been silly enough to try and sell Genesis content at RDNA.

It's not that more people are switching. Dedicated Poser users aren't going to leave Poser. It's that our market has a lot of turnover, and Genesis in DS4.5 is more attractive to more new customers than P9/PP2012.

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

Again, based on sales, I will politely disagree. I also sell Genesis content at Renderosity. It outsells my Gen 4 catalog there as well. It's certainly possible for this to be true only in my own little niche (mostly androgynous to male, mostly everyday outfits) since I'm 90 degrees off from the "main" sector of the market in terms of content types. I have not yet been silly enough to try and sell Genesis content at RDNA.

Also add in that Sickle takes a lot time to put in extra morphs and stuff, people know that they are getting a quality product...; )

Definitely one of the vendors that I like to buy from!

Bolded quote is mine not Sickle's

This definitely gave me a chuckle Sickle...

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited April 2013

Pendraia said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Pendraia said:
    I recently read a tutorial from Blondie where she discusses how to design a mesh to work with Genesis. There are some differences. So any vendor who just makes clothing for Gen4 and converts to Genesis is likely to run into problems unless they have designed their mesh to take the factors she mentions into account. I can tell you which vendors are likely to get my money and which aren't...; )

Using the variables she describes she makes products that fit a variety of shapes with no or minimal distortion.

Some of these variables she mentions are what I would call good modelling practice anyway and you can see them in items that autofit well. That's the reason why some items transfer better from Gen4 than others.

Personally I do not use any of the older human figures. Genesis is my figure of choice for a lot of reasons.

I understand that for many people they still prefer Gen4 or even Gen3 that is their choice just like using Genesis is mine.

Whichever figure people use I'm sure that people tend to buy from those vendors who provide a quality product.

...doesn't she also have a utility to assist with this?
    I don't know about utilities as she doesn't mention that in her tutorial but I can comment on what I've read in her product. I've been very careful though not to give away what those things are as I don't think that would be fair to blondie. If people want to know they should buy the tutorial.
    ...ahh here is the tutorial I believe you are speaking of (which I mistook as a utility). From the read it sure sounds incredibly valuable resource for those who have an interest in creating custom characters, shapes, and clothing for Genesis. Thought I was through with MM but just might have to pick this up.

http://www.daz3d.com/rigging-original-figures-in-ds4-pro

...[update] In the cart and downloading now.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited April 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    Pendraia said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Pendraia said:

...doesn't she also have a utility to assist with this?
    I don't know about utilities as she doesn't mention that in her tutorial but I can comment on what I've read in her product. I've been very careful though not to give away what those things are as I don't think that would be fair to blondie. If people want to know they should buy the tutorial.
    ...ahh here is the tutorial I believe you are speaking of (which I mistook as a utility). From the read it sure sounds incredibly valuable resource for those who have an interest in creating custom characters, shapes, and clothing for Genesis. Thought I was through with MM but just might have to pick this up.

http://www.daz3d.com/rigging-original-figures-in-ds4-pro

Actually the one I'm talking about is her second tutorial on Advanced Rigging. But both are well worth the cost. It's the clearest explanation I've seen so far from anyone. It is as you say an incredibly valuable resource. : )

edited to add: You need to read the one you linked to first before reading the advanced.

Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

Also add in that Sickle takes a lot time to put in extra morphs and stuff, people know that they are getting a quality product...; )

Definitely one of the vendors that I like to buy from!

Bolded quote is mine not Sickle's

This definitely gave me a chuckle Sickle...

Thank you. :) You are one of the people who got me into DAZ/Poser to begin with, and I never forget that.

edited April 2013

...well I feel best to start with the basics as I have done so little rigging (a little with the FSTs in 3Advanced), Now that I finally have a system with ample memory, processing and graphics power to support 4.5Pro, I can start getting more serious with this whole 3D thing.

edited December 1969

Thank you. :) You are one of the people who got me into DAZ/Poser to begin with, and I never forget that.

We all helped each other : ) ; ) and I remember how much you used to do in the ES modding arena. You have always been good at 3D.
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,156
    edited April 2013

I edited this post because I was just beating a dead horse

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited April 2013

Deleted as it was a response to Ivy's post

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited April 2013

icprncss said:
    Taking a V4 product and fitting it to Genesis in DS is no different from my taking a V3 item and converting it in WW to V4.

That's not even close to true. It shows a lot of ignorance on your part about Genesis. I'm not trying to insult you, I'm simply stating a fact, Modelling for Genesis then making an item backwards compatible will result in a better item for genesis then going the opposite direction with little or no difference for the previous generation figure.

I can model an item of clothing based on the Genesis androgenous base shape and, if I want to support any Gen4 or Gen3 figure, I can do that by shaping it to the figure in question and export that mesh with that morph. I could probably create all of the shaping morphs for it as well natively in D|S without having to do a whole lot of alteration in Poser. Mesh density is the biggest issue. A low poly mesh will be of more value in D|S than a high poly mesh. It renders faster and is far easier for which to create custom morphs. A high poly mesh is a beotch to deal with in any software.

In fact, for someone who understands Genesis and how it works, I believe it would actually be easier to create final morphs for the Gen4/3 figures using genesis than trying to do them in a modeler... At most all that would be needed for the resulting morphs would be some slight fixes here and there...

Download this: http://www.sharecg.com/v/68154/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/WC-Belle-Ball-Gown

You'll see what I'm talking about.

Post edited by wancow on
  • Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

I just wanted to throw in my two cents as a consumer and someone new to DAZ and new to 3D art in general. I started only back in November and the big reason I jumped on using DAZ was Genesis.

I love loading up a figure, playing with some morphs and throwing on clothes, hair, etc. Or to put this in terms that might relate to MAC users and why Apple is so successful...I like building scenes with clothes, figures, and morphs...that just work. No tweaking, no hassle.

I love all the content that has been created for Gen 4 stuff and have gotten a bunch of stuff from Renderosity over the last several months. There are so many amazing characters, clothes, materials, etc. for Gen 4 but the problem I always have is figuring out how the heck to get things to work. As I stated earlier, I am a novice user. I know that some people might be able to grab Gen 4 stuff and intuitively know what to do to get things to work and fit right but I often end up spending easily twice the amount of time to build a scene using the Gen 4 stuff vs. Genesis.

I would also add, that I jump at the chance to buy anything that has been made to work properly with Genesis and hold off on the Gen 4 stuff for this reason. I know that the stuff I get for Genesis will allow me to make a new scene really quick and the Gen 4 stuff is going to require me to experiment a lot and usually ask for assistance on how to fix things I am having trouble with.

So to all the talented content creators out there, I would say that taking the plunge to build/update your content for Genesis will not be a wasted effort. I think more and more users like me will love to support it and use it in DS 4.5

Thanks.

• ChristenChristen Posts: 240
    edited December 1969

Faerydae said:

Genesis items at DAZ sell better than M4 and V4 items anywhere. That's my experience to date (and believe me, I have a big catalog of Gen 4 items elsewhere).

This may very well be true as far as your product sales go, but I seriously doubt it's the same with other vendors, especially outside of Daz. I don't doubt that vendors make more $ here with Genesis products than they do with Gen 4 products because a lot of people that can't/won't use Genesis don't shop here as much as they used to since the changes, but there's no way Genesis products sell better than Gen 4 products as a whole at the other stores. There's still far too many Poser and DS users not using Genesis at this point.

I won't be done with Gen 4 or Gen 3 figures anytime soon. Even with the importer a lot of Genesis stuff does not work right in Poser.

It's not that more people are switching. Dedicated Poser users aren't going to leave Poser. It's that our market has a lot of turnover, and Genesis in DS4.5 is more attractive to more new customers than P9/PP2012.

Yes, based on your sales. Maybe I read your post wrong. To me it sounded like you were saying Genesis content sells more than Gen 4 content at every store, for every vendor. That I disagreed with, not your own sales.

edited December 1969

No, I said Genesis items at DAZ sell better than Gen 4 items anywhere. I'm still convinced that this is accurate for all except the very elite of Gen 4 vendors, such as ironman13 and OutOfTouch at Rendo and possibly Alfaseed at RDNA.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,156
    edited December 1969

No, I said Genesis items at DAZ sell better than Gen 4 items anywhere. I'm still convinced that this is accurate for all except the very elite of Gen 4 vendors, such as ironman13 and OutOfTouch at Rendo and possibly Alfaseed at RDNA.

I'm going out on a limb here But i bet Pretty3d does pretty well with their gen4 products. here at Daz and at Rendo,
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,046
    edited April 2013

Gen4 will be around for a long time no doubt, but the Genesis wave is growing at a more rapid pace. More and more people are realizing what it is and its potential and are making the switch or including it to their figure list. New users are jumping straight into Genesis as well, because Daz Studio is free and so is Genesis and is a more attractive offer than Purchasing the latest version of Poser or using it via DSON. Also I can confirm that Genesis products can sell better than Gen4 products. At Rendo I had a few Genesis items that were on top of the whats hot charts above V4 items. So in the end, this whole idea that there are WAY more gen4 users than Genesis is incorrect. Based on sales, that statement holds no real grounds. Also remember that a lot of the older users hardly buy Gen4 content anymore as they already have a big library. Most new content are just revisions of products that exist already. New users (and there are a lot) are only starting out, and Genesis seems to be the preferred figure of choice, so they are buying a lot of Genesis content over Gen4. I might be incorrect, but based on sale figures, this seems to be the pattern. So gen4 will be around for a while, but its user base is not growing, it is shrinking, but won't disappear completely. It happened to v3, and will happen to v4, but not anytime soon:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

...I still keep an eye out for new Gen4 items (like the Anabelle Dress) that I'll still buy because I like the way they look and see them fitting well with the types of pics I like to do.

edited April 2013

Same here. If there is a outfit for V4 I like, I buy it. But with a Genesis item, I know it has more flexability and know it will be of more use. Basically it all comes down to the clothing item itself. If I know there is no Genesis version and will only be for V4 or M4, I won't mind purchasing it, because it can still be used to some degree. And with Sickleyields new rigging toy, it gives me a reason to keep buying it:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • ChristenChristen Posts: 240
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Gen4 will be around for a long time no doubt, but the Genesis wave is growing at a more rapid pace. More and more people are realizing what it is and its potential and are making the switch or including it to their figure list. New users are jumping straight into Genesis as well, because Daz Studio is free and so is Genesis and is a more attractive offer than Purchasing the latest version of Poser or using it via DSON. Also I can confirm that Genesis products can sell better than Gen4 products. At Rendo I had a few Genesis items that were on top of the whats hot charts above V4 items. So in the end, this whole idea that there are WAY more gen4 users than Genesis is incorrect. Based on sales, that statement holds no real grounds. Also remember that a lot of the older users hardly buy Gen4 content anymore as they already have a big library. Most new content are just revisions of products that exist already. New users (and there are a lot) are only starting out, and Genesis seems to be the preferred figure of choice, so they are buying a lot of Genesis content over Gen4. I might be incorrect, but based on sale figures, this seems to be the pattern. So gen4 will be around for a while, but its user base is not growing, it is shrinking, but won't disappear completely. It happened to v3, and will happen to v4..

It will happen to V4 when/if Genesis ever works as it should in Poser. V4 worked in Poser out of the box, no waiting a year or whatever for an importer that only works some of the time. No matter how many downloaded DS because it's free (just like I did all those years ago) it does not mean they are all spending $. I don't know what vendors you all have contact with, but there's still plenty of them making pretty good money with their V4 content, new and old, and have no intentions of switching thankfully :)

edited April 2013

Zev0 said:
    Same here. If there is a outfit for V4 I like, I buy it. But with a Genesis item, I know it has more flexability and know it will be of more use. Basically it all comes down to the clothing item itself. If I know there is no Genesis version and will only be for V4 or M4, I won't mind purchasing it, because it can still be used to some degree. And with Sickleyields new rigging toy, it gives me a reason to keep buying it:)

...however, I do tend to shy away from something that I know will have fitting issues (like long skirts, wide sleeves, or long coats).

Still waiting for a classic fitted Kimono set for Genesis (with adjustment and movement morphs) as the dynamic one does not like to be scaled (without having to purchase a 50$ plugin).

edited April 2013

Like I said Faerydae, my statement was based on sales. And based on that, Genesis sales are quite high:) I didn't say everybody will switch, I said more and more people are doing so:) and I am speaking more about users not vendors. Most vendors will continue to make content for V4, others will try to make for both:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited April 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    Zev0 said:

...however, I do tend to shy away from something that I know will have fitting issues (like long skirts, wide sleeves, or long coats).

Still waiting for a classic fitted Kimono set for Genesis (with adjustment and movement morphs) as the dynamic one does not like to be scaled (without having to purchase a 50$ plugin).

Yep, no long dresses and shoes, but I will look at everything else:) This one isn't Dynamic http://www.daz3d.com/catalog/product/view/id/15781/s/princess-asia/category/1436/ Don't know if its the same style as a classic Komono, but its freaking nice:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,540
    edited December 1969

Faerydae said:
    Zev0 said:
    Gen4 will be around for a long time no doubt, but the Genesis wave is growing at a more rapid pace. More and more people are realizing what it is and its potential and are making the switch or including it to their figure list. New users are jumping straight into Genesis as well, because Daz Studio is free and so is Genesis and is a more attractive offer than Purchasing the latest version of Poser or using it via DSON. Also I can confirm that Genesis products can sell better than Gen4 products. At Rendo I had a few Genesis items that were on top of the whats hot charts above V4 items. So in the end, this whole idea that there are WAY more gen4 users than Genesis is incorrect. Based on sales, that statement holds no real grounds. Also remember that a lot of the older users hardly buy Gen4 content anymore as they already have a big library. Most new content are just revisions of products that exist already. New users (and there are a lot) are only starting out, and Genesis seems to be the preferred figure of choice, so they are buying a lot of Genesis content over Gen4. I might be incorrect, but based on sale figures, this seems to be the pattern. So gen4 will be around for a while, but its user base is not growing, it is shrinking, but won't disappear completely. It happened to v3, and will happen to v4..

It will happen to V4 when/if Genesis ever works as it should in Poser. V4 worked in Poser out of the box, no waiting a year or whatever for an importer that only works some of the time. No matter how many downloaded DS because it's free (just like I did all those years ago) it does not mean they are all spending $. I don't know what vendors you all have contact with, but there's still plenty of them making pretty good money with their V4 content, new and old, and have no intentions of switching thankfully :)

I'm betting that if DAZ ever supports poser again, it will skip Genesis & Gen5 completely.

edited April 2013

I don't think that's their plan. They are trying to get Genesis and Dson to work with Poser. I'm sure in time it will come right and it will work better. If they planned on skipping Genesis support they wouldn't have invested so much in this Dson system and bothered with Dson support for Genesis content.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Yep, no long dresses and shoes, but I will look at everything else:) This one isn't Dynamic http://www.daz3d.com/catalog/product/view/id/15781/s/princess-asia/category/1436/ Don't know if its the same style as a classic Komono, but its freaking nice:)
    ...looked at that and even considered it but it is more "Imperial China" in style rather than Traditional Japanese. I don't know why, especially with 4.5 which allows for layered garments, nobody has created a fitted set for Genesis.

edited April 2013

What you can do is load up the dynamic clothing one, fit\drape to genesis, export it as obj, import again and use transfer utility and make it conforming. If you want to make morphs, you can export the dress with different wind\pose settings and import via morph loader, if you have the dynamic cloth plugin. I do it all the time:) Sometimes I am too lazy to use dynamics so I convert them to conforming lol.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    What you can do is load up the dynamic clothing one, fit\drape to genesis, export it as obj, import again and use transfer utility and make it conforming. If you want to make morphs, you can export the dress with different wind\pose settings and import via morph loader, if you have the dynamic cloth plugin. I do it all the time:) Sometimes I am too lazy to use dynamics so I convert them to conforming lol.
    Thanks for the tip...
    edited December 1969

No Problem:)

• ChromaDrakeChromaDrake Posts: 288
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    We already know where the market is going - Vendors know that if they build for Gen4 and Poser 4 comparability, they can reach all three groups - Poser9/2012 - DS4 - legacy users (DS3 & Poser 8/2010 and earlier). The folks that won't/can't upgrade can use their products and those of us who have left the 20th century behind can easily adjust those products for use in either DS4 and/or P9/2012.

There will never be another figure that dominates the market like V4.

I hope that remains true. I continue to use Gen4 and I'm glad to see they continue to be supported.
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

Okay my opinion on a trend I see....Alot of Genesis conforming clothes comes with far fewer adjustment/movement morphs than the Gen4 clothes did.... to me it seems like some venders are cutting corners and there is less control for the user when posing than for Gen4 clothes.... I know there are tools in Daz Studio 4.5 to help but still you get far fewer sliders with some of the new Genesis clothing.