Project Dogwaffle Howler

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

Speaking of development, here's a cool tutorial by Dan Ritchie, himself, on using OpenOffice.org to make new Vector objects! Enjoy!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

good link Dart, thanks!

not to digress, but FYI in case the video doesn't mention it, open-office can read/convert the 'SVG' vector graphics formats from a variety of sources (coreldraw used it a lot a good while back). There large collections of svg vector files around that use it, but few-if-any media readers can deal with it. kind of like EPS, but even  less supported so far - irfanview can be made to work with an offsite plugin, but open-office works just fine!

--ms

Yes, and InkScape! I think he went with OpenOffice is because it's free (OpenSource) and many people use it ;)

I bought a cool software which can create incredible vector images for use in making RPG floor plans for table-top gaming: Fractal Mapper 8, by NBOS Software

I love it, but haven't used it since... well... I haven't used it in a  l o n g  time! 

It comes with a HUGE library of tiles and symbols to choose from for making campaign and adventure maps and table tiles, but what's even better is how we can customize any of those included vector images as well as make new ones from scratch!

For as cheap as it is, this is an excellent tool, even though it comes with a whole lot more if one is into roleplaying games! ;)

For those whom might now know, Vector maps are made using points connected by splines and then filled with color, and these things can be layered on top of each other to make up a complete image, icon, tile... whatever.

The result is that they never lose quality no matter how much they'e scaled up or down.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Now that fractal mapper *does* look interesting . . .

Now that fractal mapper *does* look interesting . . .

I got completely immersed into it when I first got it - and I don't even have a (RPG) group to play with... so I don't even play the games - just sculpt the miniatures, paint them, make board tiles, design adventures, read adventures, learn rules mechanics, etc.,   I really enjoy it - just don't play. Funny, eh?

The fractal drawing tools are totally fun though! They've put some effort into it.

I was thinking to use it for making town maps and area maps for the books I write. Partly for my benefit, remembering where everything is, but also to go in the book. I guess that'd be like a campaign map in the gaming world. I'm not really a gamer, although I did play Traveller a bit at uni (when I work at a computer all day, I find that to relax I need to be not at a computer!)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Not to be at a computer? I don't really understand...

Eyesight protection Program. They need walks in the countryside with a camera (always on the lookout for textures!), glasses of beer in the pub and stuff like that to stay on top efficiency, not to mention bookshop therapy.

And a tablet's not "really" a computer . . .

I love having real books made of paper. Mmmm... the smell of a book store. Bring home a new hard-bound tome. Open it! Ahhhhhh

• AutoRealm is also a good mapping software. I've used it for floor plans for my books, too. It's nice to not have to go searching through Pages and pages to find info! Going to check out the Fractal mapper, though.

AutoRealm is also a good mapping software. I've used it for floor plans for my books, too. It's nice to not have to go searching through Pages and pages to find info! Going to check out the Fractal mapper, though.

Cool! I'll have to check that out. Fractal Mapper hasn't seen an update in years... just FYI. Not sure it really needs one - I just know how a lot of people like regular updates. This one is so dated that the desktop shortcut is barely legible it's so pixelated ;)

Cool ware though!

edited December 2016

I can't help but notice that every screenshot I see of Project Dogwaffle utilizes the extra space afforded by the single-row tool bar - which is very cool.

I did that once. But perhaps it's because I'm still relatively a newbie to Howling and Waffling, I just love how the tools organize themselves in the two-row setup!

Old school Dartanbeck? Yeah... maybe.

I do LOVE the new flat look and all. But on my own workflow, I really enjoy this look. I'm pretty sure this interface style is called "The Bunt", which reminds me a lot of good ol' Carrara. I switch between this one and Hero.

Ever since Tiffanie showed us that there's an Alpha panel, as shown on the right side, I've opened it and left it open - I use these commands so often.

Yes, it looks like a busy interface. It works great for me. As we all know, I can always make more space if I need it. I just don't seem to need it. My left hand is always ready to Ctrl + Shift to pan around my work space, Shift to add to my selection, Alt to subtract. I select, select, and select some more. Working the Alpha... that's how I Howl!

Howler_2-row_Tools.jpg
    1367 x 703 - 541K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • I used to use the double row for the tools and it was hard to switch over, but I had a very small screen (10") so, the extra space was lovely. The way you have it, you could put your brush settings panel underneath the tool bar and have those at hand, as well.

I used to use the double row for the tools and it was hard to switch over, but I had a very small screen (10") so, the extra space was lovely. The way you have it, you could put your brush settings panel underneath the tool bar and have those at hand, as well.

That's how it is on my bigger Carrara machine, this one is my laptop and it (Brush Settings) doesn't fit very well. But I don't need that panel nearly as often as I do this Alpha panel... Thank you SO Much for turning me onto that (right-click either Geometric Selection icon - see image above) trick for turning it on! I never knew it was there.

welcome back, Dart!

Tiffanie, thanks for doing those videos! I'm poking at them now and then in my ADD workflow (squirrel!), but now I know better where I can go to review when I need the tibits you've been sharing!

cheers, and happy holidays,

--ms

• @Mindsong - You are very welcome, I'm glad people are still enjoying them. As always, if you all have questions or want something explained, please let me know.

My new harddrive is supposed to be back to me this week, so I hope that after I play the install game that I will be able to start the videos up again. Been doing 3D work and a few paintings in the meantime, as well as testing, I always get so behind when Dan Ritchie starts doing the Alpha updates for the next version! I never seem to find all the new goodies! lol. 

Winter clipboard.jpg
    1074 x 604 - 468K
  • Merry Christmas, Happy other Holidays! Peace to your hearts, Blessed Be.

AR- Not Quite Spring.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 173K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

...and to you (and to everyone really!)

tnx for everything Tiffanie!, wishes for a great year back to you and yours!

--ms

• Thanks! I'm hoping to have a working computer for Howler again, soon!

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Thank you for all the great videos.

edited December 2016

Merry Christmas, Happy other Holidays! Peace to your hearts, Blessed Be.

To all of you from me as well! I Love You All, My Carrara Family! ;)

Thanks! I'm hoping to have a working computer for Howler again, soon!

I wish I could help - because I would if I could! Truly! ;)

Wow... now This is some Beautiful Art!!!

Curious, do you (Tiffanie) use a tablet? I have a Wacom, but don't have a lot of hours on it yet.

My mouse is so surgically attached to my hand that I still haven't trained my hand to get good with it yet, although I have had some really nice sessions with it when I first got Howler.

A friend of mine who has become a lead artist for Sony was visiting from CA and he was astonished that I didn't have a tablet. Saying that he had several more in his luggage, he handed me his Wacom Graphire 3 and insisted I keep it. He had one of those AlienWare mobile workstations. Looks like a laptop - Not a laptop! LOL  Sounded like a Jet when it's industrial fans kicked on! Very sweet device!

I literally bought Howler 8.2 just before my wonderful Rosie and I left for a birthday getaway vacation (our birthdays are three days apart) 

I've been oogling the little Acer 10.1" laptops as a nice tiny device for carrying around when I'm on-the-fly, and Rosie got me one for my B-Day, so I brought Howler and my Wacom with me on our vacation and did some fun sketches - but spent the rest of my time with her... just as I should have! :)

I was blown away with how well Howler mimicked a hard, 4H sketch pencil when I asked it too, or a globby glop of oil when I asked for that. 

For the most part, I don't often just sit down and paint or draw much, but am focusing on using Howler for Visual Effects, and it's still blowing me away. 

Dan Ritchie really makes a fine art software! I'm a forever Dogwaffler! 

• @Dart - I do use a tablet for this kind of art, but use the mouse for most everything else! Even if I'm doing textures or photomanip or afterwork on a 3D image. Don't know why I don't use the tablet, other than I don't have a good workspace to leave it out all the time. I have a Huion Pro610, really love it. It's pretty inexpensive over all, but has great responsiveness. I also have a really old Wacom CT, but it still does a good job.

Glad that you are taking care of the Rosie, well!

@Everyone else:  You are welcome! I was enjoying making them, even though I was running out of ideas. So, it was good to have a break. I may just have to buckle down and do some on this computer, even if it doesn't work as well as my other.

Cool! Thanks ;)

edited January 2017

A lot going on under the hood since the release of Howler 10... a LOT!

...even a LOT more than what I'll mention here. For example, Howler is getting a brand new API to enable many more exciting features and possibilities as the future unfolds. But that's really geeky stuff and it can easily overload my head. I am no coder. Dan certainly is, and he loves our Dogwaffle and is always striving to keep it Waffling and Howling the best it can for us!

There are many new features, and we'll get to those soon. For right now, I just want to share something really cool, and something really fun!

One really exciting new feature coming is animated water, shown here in Puppy Ray

Looks cool, eh?

...and for those times when we just need some good ol' mayhem, allow me to introduce Howler's new retro shooty game:

Scorpion X7 Blaster - The Game!

It was really cool seeing Dan come up with some of the code for this - he was actually showing off parts of the new API, and how we can manipulate pixels with code and came up with these rocks! Could almost hear the gears turning in his head - and the next thing we know, he's giving us this cool game to try! Truly wonderful! And Fun!!!

Yikes is Howler 11 ever going to be Cool!!!

We're getting all kinds of new goodies!

Water and other additions and improvements to Puppy Ray

A really cool (and I mean COOL!!!) Adjustable Gradient!

Fantastic new additions to the rotoscope tools in the curve tool - which is what got me so excited to report this all!

Really nice new Vector Callouts! These things are Awesome!

A whole slew of new filters and effects!

Check out the latest newsletter for more of a sneak peek - very cool stuff - I'm so excited!

Water!

Callouts!

Painting from the Dogwaffler of the Month! Wow!!!

• I'm working on a new video, finally, will let folks know when it's up.

Also, Carrerra is on sale today....I already have Poser 11, DS, Blender, Hexagon, Bryce, and a couple of other things, do I really need Carerra, too? What does it do that the others don't?

Hey there Tiffanie Gray! What up, Girl?

Um... what does Carrara do that the others don't? Ummm... you've come to just the right forum!

Take a quick stroll through this thread:

► Learning CARRARA and need some help?

I think you might like a quick glance at this:

► Building Carrara Terrains Intro

and perhaps Post Your Renders - Let's Rock 2017!

Check these out:

Latest Carrara Promo Reel

Much more recent from our very own FifthElement - I Love this!

...and here's his first Carrara reel!!! Elements!

Not enough fun? Here's more

►►► Carrara Information Manual ◄◄◄

This discussion has been closed.