►►► ....and, all links lead to the EULA!

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited February 2013

It does affect us today, I cant reset or get any old downloads untill I am forced to accept this new EULA, so they are withholding my purchases which I have paid for to me that is blackmail, sign this or you can't get things you have paid for, I would have said extortion but think that was a bit too much.

What sort of people do they have at Daz if, a version of the EULA was supposed to have things removed from it and yet that version was the one that went live?

A decade or so ago I was frustrated by DAZ's lack of professionalism and called them a mom & pop organization but gave them some slack because of it. However, I think mom and pop have died or gone senile letting the inmates run the asylum, or sold out to the sleazy uncle.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • cimairacimaira Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Why is my issue being ignored in this thread? I have already mentioned several times MY issue is NOT with the new EULA.... I am having a problem with not being able to access my account for purchases I have already made under the policies that were in place at the time of my purchase. We have not been given any notice of any policy changes that were going to take place and we were not given an option to opt out... this is NOT right. I don't care how you try to paint it. There is no excuse for locking me out of my account and I have asked nicely several times now...

I will try again...

Please grant me access to my account.

Thank you.

I think they are hoping if they ignore us long enough we will go away! I want access to my itemized order history also, without having to click accept. IF indeed this new EULA is less restrictive, what is the big deal in allowing that??
    And a .zip CAN have an EULA included, you CAN include the accept button as part of the purchase process, PRIOR to paying. Or at least every other content site I shop at does this. So why CAN'T DAZ?

And I really wish they would stop using the software as a reason, if it stinks so badly that it can't do what other content stores software can do, I'd say you got robbed and should try to get your money back. It's amazing that a brand new software cannot do what a store that was supposedly held together with chewing gum and string could do. Bring back the chewing gum and string , please.

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

I still see a EULA brick wall.
    Change it.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    DanaTA said:
    Kattey said:
    cimaira said:

Why all the resistance to putting this new EULA in the purchase process, I mean we keep being told that the changes in the new EULA "if anything give you MORE freedom". If that's true, why make us agree to new terms to access old purchases?

The explanation given to us is that because old purchases will be remade into new installers and the format of new installers requires new EULA. And if sort of make sense when they will be repackaged (currently they aren't).
    But BS part of it is to demand to delete perfectly workable backups of old _exe_ installers _with EULA in them_.

Actually, whether it is in an .EXE installer or a .ZIP file, it doesn't matter. The agreement is for the use of the product, not the packaging. If you have already purchased the product in the past, which came with its own EULA, then that EULA should not be replaced...the original EULA should be packaged in the new zip file at best.

Dana
    I don't think they'd be able to put old EULA into new zips, because as you said, EULA is tied up to the time of purchase. So basically they will have to keep a separate version of the zip for _all_ EULAs that were in action since that product went live for _each product_ and then link that specific zip to the specific purchase for _all_ their customers. And this is a TON of work, even if they automate that process somehow which I don't think is possible (because they can't even put end sale dates into store yet).

For example, if I bought V3 three years ago under old EULA I'll have to get a zip to V3 with old EULA. If I bought V3 right now, I"ll have to get the same V3 zip but with new EULA. Which would be correct thing to do but extremely man-hours expensive from DAZ3D side.

I don't think it would be hard at all. The old EULA was embedded in the installer...so it's there. The installers were just glorified zip files packaged with a self running installer. So the document was there. When converting these to zip files, they are simply putting the files inside the installer into a new zip file, without the installer executable. So no, not difficult at all...the files are already there. It's not that they can't, it's that they don't want to.

I have saved all my installers, in case I need to reinstall things, so I don't have this issue.

Dana

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

I obediently accepted the new EULA without reading because I am submissive and enjoy being told to do stuff. But I do think they should have the wall during the checkout new purchase dialogue... not a signin wall.

edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    I might have accepted the new agreement if I still trusted DAZ to do the right thing. Maybe once upon a time I did, but after the blatant threats in this latest EULA... no.

Edit: Kevin, I trust you mean well, but you must admit that it would be rather foolish to take legal advice from the opposing party in a legal dispute.

(Please excuse me if the terminology isn't entirely correct. English is not my native language, and I am not a lawyer.)

Legaleese is another language altogether...and I think they do that on purpose! :lol:

Dana

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited February 2013

Actually, I have to admit that this whole issue is kinda reassuring to me. After the run-in I had with one of DAZ's admins the other day -- and the snarky email I got from them about it afterwards -- the next time I pulled up the site and got hit with that EULA page, I thought DAZ was trying to intimidate me. The fact that EVERYONE got hit with it means I should probably try to keep my paranoia in check.

Post edited by Morpheon on
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited February 2013

They have not changed their policies regarding downloading nor have they given any notice that were going to. The poilcies that are in effect and have been in effect since I signed up, are still posted here:

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/123812

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/123804-Resetting-Download-Links

The bottom line is...

1. They have not blocked EVERYONE from their downloads
    2. They did not give notice to policy changes
    3. They have put up a barrier to my account.

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Actually I know that I am going to find clicking once on site to accept the EULA is much easier than having to click umpteen times when installing a bunch of installers, having to accept the EULA on each one separately. I can't wait for the rest of the store to be converted to Zips, personally.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Actually I know that I am going to find clicking once on site to accept the EULA is much easier than having to click umpteen times when installing a bunch of installers, having to accept the EULA on each one separately. I can't wait for the rest of the store to be converted to Zips, personally.

Perhaps it will be, but that is not my issue and I know they are not stupid and they fully understand what I am saying....

And honestly, I can not believe that the PA's and various staff members are going along with this ABUSE!

You know... I have loved you, Daz. I have stood by you and defended you and been a cheer leader for you, even when all of my friends abandoned you... Then you dumped me out cold.... and I still forgave you...

...but this is...

just WRONG!

And you know it.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Well I came back and went to see about downloading that nice free dragon and cave people skins .... and carefully read over the newest end user license agreement ... and they fixed it! Makes much more legal sense now as far as I can tell ... thank you. :-)

You know; for all the companies with all the necessary-in-this-day-and-age legalese paperwork ... there's a very short, succinct way to say very much.

Thou shalt not steal

Mind boggling penalty clause on that one too but it is still written.

edited February 2013

Well I came back and went to see about downloading that nice free dragon and cave people skins .... and carefully read over the newest end user license agreement ... and they fixed it! Makes much more legal sense now as far as I can tell ... thank you. :-)

You know; for all the companies with all the necessary-in-this-day-and-age legalese paperwork ... there's a very short, succinct way to say very much.

Thou shalt not steal

Yes, and as Kevin has said in the thread somewhere, it is actually a more lenient in some parts, because it now specifiacally states that you can install the content on a laptop or other mobile device. THe only really new addition is the part about 3D printing, and that is of course a New thing itself anyway.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ServantServant Posts: 756
    edited February 2013

While I agreed to the terms of the EULA (after the ridiculous "delete the contents if you don't agree" clause was removed), I can see Jasmine's point that the EULA shouldn't prevent anyone from accessing something they paid for in a previous agreement. It's not the EULA itself, but the act of forcing anyone to agree to it by withholding access to prior transactions bought and agreed on that is iffy to say the least. Perhaps if it wasn't so blunt in how it's implemented. Maybe if there was an option to "do it later" (like some other sites) and then allow the user access regardless of the choice would have been a good idea. Or just have it show up when the User decides to purchase something (as pointed out before). Just my two cents (which is probably worth less than that) :P

Post edited by Servant on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Yeah, I agree.

Except I've accepted the EULA twice now. Once when I got the DIM, and now when I decided to grab a download that I didn't think the DIM had noted (the DIM had and I saw it later). Hope that's all now because the EULA interferes with updating taozen's item history utility which I still use to double-check the sometimes inconsistent 'purchased' note on the product page.

edited December 1969

I found Kevin's post

DAZ_Kevin said:
    Considering the NEW one is less restrictive, I would think you would want to fall under that one. I don't know why anyone would want to stay with the older, more restrictive EULA instead. It just doesn't make sense. So unless you want to be restricted by the old one instead, you can just agree to the new one, and then that will apply and move on.

Byrdie said:
    And what of us who bought products just hours before the new EULA was announced but hadn't downloaded yet only to suddenly find the terms had changed? Which version of the license do we fall under? This is really confusing, not to mention a right pain.
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Thou shalt not steal

Yes, and as Kevin has said in the thread somewhere, it is actually a more lenient in some parts, because it now specifiacally states that you can install the content on a laptop or other mobile device. THe only really new addition is the part about 3D printing, and that is of course a New thing itself anyway.

Agreed. Good to have something in writing about the 3D printing because that is becoming much more affordable these days. Don't know how he did it, but one person built his own printer for like, $500.

by the way ... how does one get those Daz badges to appear in the signatures? I pasted the code but it didn't work.

edited December 1969

Spit said:
    chohole said:

Yeah, I agree.

Except I've accepted the EULA twice now. Once when I got the DIM, and now when I decided to grab a download that I didn't think the DIM had noted (the DIM had and I saw it later). Hope that's all now because the EULA interferes with updating taozen's item history utility which I still use to double-check the sometimes inconsistent 'purchased' note on the product page.

Well obviously every time you go to the download page you will need to accept the EULA, but it is still going to be far less of a bother thatn having to click to accept the EULA every single time you install a product.

OK I accept, that while we are still in the transition period it may seem annoying, but once the whole store is converted, and everything is in zips, it will be easier for everyone, whether you choose to use the Install manager or not.

One click to accept, whether you are downloading 1 or 100 product files.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Thou shalt not steal

Agreed. Good to have something in writing about the 3D printing because that is becoming much more affordable these days. Don't know how he did it, but one person built his own printer for like, $500.

by the way ... how does one get those Daz badges to appear in the signatures? I pasted the code but it didn't work.

At the moment we can't, although DAZ_BHowell has said they will get it sorted out. Just now you can't change your Avatar or add an image to your signature.

edited December 1969

Okay, thank you ... have to also put big sentence in here ... lol ...

edited December 1969

OK, Well...

If this is not resolved to my satisfaction within 24 hours I will be reporting this to the BBB as well as seeing into whatever other action I can take.

Thank you

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Spit said:
    chohole said:

Yeah, I agree.

Well obviously every time you go to the download page you will need to accept the EULA, but it is still going to be far less of a bother thatn having to click to accept the EULA every single time you install a product.

OK I accept, that while we are still in the transition period it may seem annoying, but once the whole store is converted, and everything is in zips, it will be easier for everyone, whether you choose to use the Install manager or not.

One click to accept, whether you are downloading 1 or 100 product files.

Every time? Eek. That's going to make it hard to use Taozen's utility until we can totally rely on the new 'purchased' notice.

Hang on...let me check something......

Good. I accepted the EULA a bit ago but I guess my session is still good. I had my account up in another tab. Just went over and clicked on Itemized list and it let me in. Opened up taozen's history manager and was able to log in. It's now pulling down my current history.

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

OK, Well...

If this is not resolved to my satisfaction within 24 hours I will be reporting this to the BBB as well as seeing into whatever other action I can take.

Thank you

Between that and trigger happy MODS I have contacted DAZ to discuss them as well as cancelling my account.
    I have my products. They are backed up in numerous ways.
    Enjoy.

edited February 2013

Jasmine, just what is it that is worrying you. I am not really understanding.

We have a less restrictive EULA than we had before, and people are still not wanting to accept it. The Clause that people were worrying about has been removed, as was mentioned some time back in the thread. What else is the problem.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

You have to accept the EULA 8-O

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I found Kevin's post

DAZ_Kevin said:
    Considering the NEW one is less restrictive, I would think you would want to fall under that one. I don't know why anyone would want to stay with the older, more restrictive EULA instead. It just doesn't make sense. So unless you want to be restricted by the old one instead, you can just agree to the new one, and then that will apply and move on.

Byrdie said:
    And what of us who bought products just hours before the new EULA was announced but hadn't downloaded yet only to suddenly find the terms had changed? Which version of the license do we fall under? This is really confusing, not to mention a right pain.

Yay!

Why would we want to stay with the old one for older products? Because that is a legally binding agreement, and we have already agreed to it. The fact that you want us to let you change the agreement retroactively backwards is suspicious and dangerous. I remember a certain very popular movie and villain:
    "I have altered our agreement...pray that I do not alter it further!"

This is setting a precedent...and that is something that lawyers also should understand.

Dana

edited February 2013

chohole said:

We have a less restrictive EULA than we had before, and people are still not wanting to accept it. The Clause that people were worrying about has been removed, as was mentioned some time back in the thread. What else is the problem.

nm

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited February 2013

chohole said:

Chohole you just don't get it do you? The contents of the EULA are not so much the issue anymore. Jasmine's issue is the implementation of the blockade imposed by the EULA where it shouldn't be applied. Getting access to your records of past purchases (not the download page) or your account page being blocked by a EULA. Incorrect implementation perhaps brought on by inflexible store software or unknowlegable programmers, or corporate decree. It's not right and she has every right to complain vehemently as do I.

It's like your bank having you sign a disclaimer to get one of your checks cashed. It's like a car dealership having you sign a disclaimer to use the toilet.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 1969

You have to accept the EULA 8-O

lol ... [whisper] but it wasn't offered there ... shhhh ... let's keep that one quiet 'k. [/whisper]

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Kevin said:
    On this note, I think you will find us just as willing for these specific types of exceptions when asked as we have always been. This Eula Change is to open things up more and address some changes in the world. It is overall less restrictive than our old one. It is surprising that there have been objections to accepting a less restrictive EULA in favor of keeping the older more restrictive one.

I have nothing bad to say about the main part of new EULA. What was my deep and loud objection is that dumb (sorry) part which demanded us to delete our previously installed/backuped content if we don't comply; this, combined with blocked access to the downloads did feel very bad.

If I'm to believe to DAZ_Jon words "The section about the deleting content and non-acceptance was marked to be removed from it a few revisions back, but a mistake was made along the way and it got skipped over and accidentally got pushed up to the store. That has since been revised and removed."

And if there is nothing as dumb as that previous section been added instead, I have no objections to switch to the new one although the retroactive approach is still probably illegal in our local laws but as long as DAZ3D won't block/delete my previous content I don't think it will be a problem. After all "7 days limited warranty" is the same I started to agree at least 2 years ago, and you rightfully corrected me about "household" license.

BTW, the EULA from helpdesk section probably need to be changed too if you haven't done that already.

Please understand me too, the demand to delete 6 years of content was just very-very unacceptable and it eclipsed for a while all good changes that new EULA might have brought to us.

What I'm still finding very much improper is that that users who don't wish to accept new EULA (for whatever reasons) can't access their previous purchases due to account/downloads being blocked. Can DAZ3D find another technical solution to that problem other than forcing new EULA down on those people?

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    chohole said:
    I found Kevin's post

DAZ_Kevin said:

Byrdie said:

Yay!

Why would we want to stay with the old one for older products? Because that is a legally binding agreement, and we have already agreed to it. The fact that you want us to let you change the agreement retroactively backwards is suspicious and dangerous. I remember a certain very popular movie and villain:
    "I have altered our agreement...pray that I do not alter it further!"

This is setting a precedent...and that is something that lawyers also should understand.

Dana

But it's changed in our favour ... that wasn't the case with the fictitious villain.

This discussion has been closed.