Commerical Products forum gone?

Comments

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

So, where are the threads that were once in commercial forum? Are they deleted or have they been moved somewhere?

• edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    So, where are the threads that were once in commercial forum? Are they deleted or have they been moved somewhere?

They have been removed.
    From http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16350_508/
    "What will happen to existing threads for products available at other sites?
    The forum section that contained these threads will simply be closed and will no longer be available."
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited February 2013

As far as I'm aware they were just being closed, not deleted.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:

I think I read that threads aren't deleted but moved somewhere that we can't see.

On another note it's disappointing that Daz also moved the Mec4D 15 years in business sale thread - which was about the sale of her products here and the Garibaldi beta testing thread - I believe the intention was to sell the product here.

edited December 1969

That is such a shame. Fair enough that the decision to restrict the commercial forum to daz vendors... But I think its a disappointment that all those threads were removed and not simply moved to daz discussion or Commons. Especially the WIP product threads. Some of us really shared a lot of work with each other there. It was really fun and we learned heaps there. :(

• mrsparkymrsparky Posts: 248
    edited December 1969

Yea I can understand why the economic situ and commercial rationale has bought this decision. Same with the recent change in freebie policy. However by removing a big element of the community, it's also taking away a big chunk of what helps the big sites.

Usually the career path for most artists is get into poser/studio via freebies, make some freebies, then products. Much of which isn't mainstream stuff, so if those artists can't showcase their stuff, it means long term the big boys get less original material. Less innovation also gives the elitist morons more ammo as well, so really this is seriously counter productive for everyone involved.

So why just have one small forum that does allow debate of the little guys stuff and ban it totally elsewhere on site? Everyone wins then.

• edited February 2013

In my opinion, I don't think it will be too long before we see a "baby DAZ" emerging from one of the smaller 3d content sites. As Daz evolves more away from what people were used too, someone else is going to have to fill that need with a community for sharing DS/Poser market alerts, WIPS, tutorials, WCIF, and a relaxed social structure that is less commercial, more community. It's a great way for a store front to attract new customers and start picking up stray or 'homeless' vendors, and to begin building a business model much the same as DAZ used to be and not strongly affiliated with the larger content providers (Rendo, Daz, CP, RDNA, The site that shall not be named, etc). Not sure who will fill the void, though, so unfortunately it's just a wait and see. :/

Post edited by e-bahr_b0b4c77606 on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited February 2013

If there are to be no linking to other commercial sites, how will this effect the linking of free stuff on sites that are commercial. For example I know that for the freebie challenge you have to post links to where you got the item, if its a commercial site will this still be allowed?

Post edited by scorpio on
  • edited December 1969

If there are to be no linking to other commercial sites, how will this effect the linking of free stuff on sites that are commercial. For example I know that for the freebie challenge you have to post links to where you got the item, if its a commercial site will this still be allowed?

Very good question (I wish we had a +like here, LOL). Another question that may come up is: What about freebies that compete with DAZ / PA products, such as morph and clothing packages hosted at sites like ShareCG? It would seem reasonable that these also effect the promotion and sales of Daz store products.

• mrsparkymrsparky Posts: 248
    edited February 2013

In my opinion, I don’t think it will be too long before we see a “baby DAZ” emerging.

There was, it was called 3dCommune and theres also PA2. The "Guild" idea is also something that been around a while.
    Last serious attempt was SMART with the likes of Meshbox, ontarget and philc.

Thing is while most folks want to support the indies, unfortunately because of time constraints and simplicity everyone communicates and shops at the big sites. It's roughly similar with sellers as well, it's very time consuming to adapt a product for each store. Different licences, promo sizes etc. Upload times.

It's the same with advertising on twatter and facb*llox, folks don't have time to visit all these places.
    Which is precisely why you're right that we need a 'one stop shop' - which already exists here now.

Edited to add..

"..how will this effect the linking of free stuff on sites that are commercial."

Well hopefully daz will be more community minded than the other place.
    If your site sells anything you can't link to any freebies held there.
    You can only link to a totally free site.

Also what happens if the other site is ad supported like sharecg. Which will show products from other stores.

Post edited by mrsparky on
    edited December 1969

Anyone know what will happen to Garibaldi Hair now? We had so much learning and tips, tricks and discussion on that thread. Not to mention our shared renders. All of that is vaulted now (If they didn't delete all that). Not sure how the beta testing will work now that we dont have a working thread. So much lost :(

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

One of the active Garibaldi stylists (Mangey?) created a new thread in the Commons but it seems to have vanished.

edited December 1969

Really? So even a render/discussion thread for a WIP product is not allowed? That really sucks :(

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Anyone know what will happen to Garibaldi Hair now? We had so much learning and tips, tricks and discussion on that thread. Not to mention our shared renders. All of that is vaulted now (If they didn't delete all that). Not sure how the beta testing will work now that we dont have a working thread. So much lost :(

If the creator is not a PA, the threads have gone the way of all other non-PA commercial threads. Depending upon another commercial site is not the best of ideas. About the only thing you can do now is get the creator to add a forum to his own site and try to recreate what has been removed.

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

This sucks big time, so anyone new to the business and has maybe just come up with an idea for a product now has no sounding board to see if its something the community would like or want, now we can't compare products existing and products ie, plugins for Studio that are a work in progress and may be just as good or better than another plug in that is already available in the Daz Market Place. If its a new vendor who hasn't published a product anywhere yet and doesn't have a finished product to submit to the store to see if Daz would be interested in selling it, can't even show the customers of Daz to get an idea if it is something they would like to purchase, talk about tunnel vision, may be time for me purchase Poser and move off in another direction.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

What does this mean for third party products that actually require DAZ products like Reality, the Octane Render pligin for DA that is being developed, and all the plugins for Carrara? Those products typically fill a void that the base product from DAZ does not address, and actually increase sales of DAZ products. For example, many of the plugin,s or extensions, for Carrara provide extended functionality that Carrara does not have. If this functionality is very important to a prospective new users workflow, how will they know it is available?? They won't, so this means they will purchase the product that seems to better meets their needs, and lost revenue for DAZ.

I understand the logic behind their decision, and can support it in a general sense. Unfortunately, they tend to run their plugin developers off due to their total lack of understanding how the rest of the software development world works, and the loss of control/ability to serve their customers the developers feel when selling here . I'm afraid this is yet another case of DAZ putting a bullet in the chamber, cocking the hammer, aiming squarely at the foot, and pulling the trigger. They have shot themselves in the foot sooooo many times over the past couple of years, one has to wonder if they have any feet left?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

are sig line links still allowed?

honestly, i never looked at the commercial forum. but, i've occasionally clicked a sig link / attractive banner.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    They have shot themselves in the foot sooooo many times over the past couple of years, one has to wonder if they have any feet left?

They make changes, and their profits keep falling, so obviously they need to make more changes....
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

What about gallery links are they allowed?

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    They have shot themselves in the foot sooooo many times over the past couple of years, one has to wonder if they have any feet left?

They make changes, and their profits keep falling, so obviously they need to make more changes.... By the time they see the writing on the wall it will be too late. Progressively going down hill since they changed hands, they need to step back and see what it was that made this place great and get back to the roots of what it was.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822
    edited December 1969

yes banners
    just hope they can indeed stay as I too click on them.
    I have even searched a user's name to find their last post so I could use their sigline link.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Another question: what about contests? Are we allowed to a) use b) mention c) reference (by link) items in contests that aren't sold on DAZ3D when such items aren't a main focus of the contest?

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

I feel absolutely SICK hearing this. Daz forums was not just a place to buy daz items but also a place to FIND nearly EVERYTHING, including links to elsewhere.

that's it.

I'm sorry, but the way the Daz is killing non pc member freebies, making the PC club WORSE instead of better....

I am NOT renewing my membership. I'm fed up with the new site, the terrible membership errors, the lack of welcome for the entire 3D community. I'm t ired of changing policy, lack to follow through on promises, and a decreasing value in staying around at Daz.

I'm out. My wishlist is mostly only for the PAs these days, and vouchers don't work on them. There's no galleries and now Daz is chasing away vendors. Daz already assimiliated artzone and poserpros, and now they're gone. Galleries are gone. Now the Commercial forum is gone.

Daz clearly has the idea that "less is better".

I get it, loud and clear.

The place that has been my 3D home for the last 10 years.... has resoundingly made me feel unwelcome. Time to find a new home.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

I can sort of see Daz' point on this. I know the change is uncomfortable and will make many unhappy, but from my perspective, this is much the same as other digital vendors.

edited December 1969

it's more than uncomfortable. I shopped here because it was the best "place" to be. I could come here and find everything. But it gets worse and worse. more holes appear, more ugly patches thrown over it.

I love genesis, I do.

But if I need to get poser so i can stop dealing with negative changes at Daz, maybe I should... While Daz PC club just keeps getting worse, other places with a membership have nowhere to go but up.

I'll put my money where it's a more welcoming place. And there are plenty of welcoming places with plenty of excellent quality items.
    This is pretty much the second store that went downhill and completely cut off and alienated its customer base.

That last store hasn't seen a penny from me. Daz is rapidly going that way too.

I can't help feeling sad for the fantastic vendors here who will be 'punished' by Daz's newfound outside vendor banning. I'd be begging for links to all the vendors private stores, if they have them, but oh wait, links are banned now, right? Okay, so vendors please PM me. Many of my favorite vendors, I know where to find you... others, I hope you put up links at other store and forum places and let people know how to still buy from you in a FREE environment with less restriction.

Sigh. Seriously??? I've given my loyalty to Daz and sent dozens of new people here, for what???? A place that has lost my respect.

Sorry for the rant. I' just feel like every announcement Daz makes is another link in the chain that drags them under the water.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited February 2013

Killing off threads that focused on plugins that Daz doesn't sell is over the top. The whole point of DS supporting plugins is so the void that Daz leaves can be filled by others. Now there is the potential for a post talking about Octane or Reality will get removed by the mods because they aren't sold here.

But of course we can talk about Poser all day :sick:

I don't have a huge issue with stopping commercial threads for off-site product. But killing existing threads that people used for learning and disallowing new threads that people have put up regarding 3rd party plugins is absurd.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

. . . I guess the other part that is incredibly disturbing is that the threads that were just deleted without ANY notice were things that contained information that many of us would have liked to have had a chance to take note of. Couldn't you have given us time to get information from those threads before just deleting them?
    anikad said:
    It would have been nice if there had been some warning before the blanket deletions . . .
    A couple of useful resources (which are not competing products so hopefully these links will stay up): printpages2pdf is a Firefox plugin that will convert one or all of your tabs into a pdf file with selectable text & live links, and (unlike the previous converter I was using) works on this site. Lightscreen Portable is an automatic screenshot-saving utility. For years I've routinely saved copies of topics or posts here that seemed at risk of deletion, or just because they'd be interesting references. But it simply never occurred to me there could be a deliberate mass no-warning sweep of the Commercial folder, sorry. In retrospect . . . no. No, not even looking back at all the ridiculous stunts DAZ has pulled over the years, and all the ranting I've done? This I didn't see coming.
  • Wiccan1Wiccan1 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

The loss of the Garibaldi hair thread is tragic. The product was being offered to Daqz to sel as well, geez. There was a huge amount of information in it. I truly enjoyed Beta testing the product myself. As a long term PC member, not only is it an affront to the vendors, but an affront to all Daz customers who were participating in the thread!

I am very disappointed that we were not given a change to get the information from the threads we were interested in... :(

edited December 1969

next think we know they'll close all the forum like another place did.... and I stopped shopping there too. :/

Seems like Daz is out to make us shop elsewhere.... sheesh.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I will be very surprised if Garibaldi Hair's developer will be willing to sell through DAZ3D after that treatment.

This discussion has been closed.