Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
edited September 2019 in The Commons

A maintenance update with some fixes and improved stability just released as of tueday, 12 April 2016.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the initial thread reached 100 pages, here is a new beginning.

I'd like to share a spectacular render done in Vue by Luca ( if you are curious check his gallery, lot of fantastic dino images there: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=56904).
Luca styled the Deinonychus furs in Look at my Hair and exported those as .OBJ (260 mb each).
Render took 4 hours at 2560x1440, Global Illumination.

FREE PLAYER thread is here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17802/

attachment.jpg
1280 x 720 - 355K
Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on

Comments

• CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213
    edited December 1969

That's a wonderful render!! I have Vue but don't get around to using it very much, due to the long render times.

Just got your amazing plugin yesterday, and the image below is my first attempt with it. Really love the fur effect you can achieve within a few minutes of playing around with settings! Used your short fur preset for the Mil Cat, slightly tweaked, with increased no of hairs (500,000, if I remember correctly). Rendered in DS4.5 Pro, one UE2 light and two spotlights. No postwork. 'Tis a very simple render, but I was pleased with how it turned out. :) Thank you so much Alessandro for creating this must-have plugin!!

Siamese_cat_LAMH.jpg
    792 x 846 - 874K
  • Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

Hi Cymbidium, thanks to you for supporting our new toy, I'm happy to hear you're enjoying it!

And very nice render BTW, may I have the permission to post it in LAMH gallery?

Thanks,
    Alex

edited December 1969

Thank you Alex! By all means, please post it in the gallery - I'd be honoured!! I think I am going to enjoy it even more when I get up the courage to experiment a bit more.....:)

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

As Alex said in a previous post: Seeing our toy being used is the greatest reward.

BTW, that cat render made me do a double take. Very nicely laid out.

Kendall

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

When does the initial intro sale end?

edited December 1969

angusm said:
    When does the initial intro sale end?

Hi, it will run until the 18th January.

• kodarrkodarr Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

I exported the hair back into daz 3d and I get this error anytime I try to render the hair at the best quality. If I render it at 3,2, or 1 quality the hair looks like crap and just a few lines here and there. Am I doing something wrong? Or how do I fix this?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I shall merge your post with the main LaMH thread.

edited December 1969

njbst18 said:
    I exported the hair back into daz 3d and I get this error anytime I try to render the hair at the best quality. If I render it at 3,2, or 1 quality the hair looks like crap and just a few lines here and there. Am I doing something wrong? Or how do I fix this?

Can you give more information on your error?

below 4 (full software) the "renderman" curves will not work. Below the "full software" is OpenGL shading, which doesn't understand Renderman curves. If using the lower settings, you will need to export as an OBJ.

Kendall

• mark_193b7cb0e5mark_193b7cb0e5 Posts: 3
    edited January 2013

I'm having a weird problem. Yesterday I was able to load LAMH create some hair and save the scene. I was able to do this several times.
    Today, I start up DS4.5 and nothing. I click on "create->new 'look at my hair' object and nothing. There is nothing in the log file either. I tried starting up Infinito and it came up just fine as did Reality. Anywhere I can look for the reason why it is not starting?

MacPro 5.1 dual quad core/64GB/dual 5780s
    Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Found the LAMH log file ( Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyhairAM/logFile.txt) and all it has are entries from yesterday

Post edited by mark_193b7cb0e5 on
    edited December 1969

mvirtue said:
    I'm having a weird problem. Yesterday I was able to load LAMH create some hair and save the scene. I was able to do this several times.
    Today, I start up DS4.5 and nothing. I click on "create->new 'look at my hair' object and nothing. There is nothing in the log file either. I tried starting up Infinito and it came up just fine as did Reality. Anywhere I can look for the reason why it is not starting?

MacPro 5.1 dual quad core/64GB/dual 5780s
    Mountain Lion 10.8.2

That *IS* a weird problem. Which log file were you looking in? If you would, please send me the log files from the following locations:

/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyhairAM/logFile.txt
    /Documents and Settings//Application Data/DAZ 3D/Studio4/log.txt (XP)
    /Users//AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/log.txt (Vista/Win7)

Kendall

• StevieCStevieC Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Hi Alessandro! Just bought LAMH, but it`s asking me for an activation code....can`t find that in my account anywhere....any suggestions please? Thank you in advance.....

edited December 1969

StevieC said:
    Hi Alessandro! Just bought LAMH, but it`s asking me for an activation code....can`t find that in my account anywhere....any suggestions please? Thank you in advance.....

On the Activation Screen:

Leave the first line alone
    Enter the Number from DAZ in line 2
    connect to the web page listed on the activation screen and enter the 2 codes above (copy and paste will work)
    You will be given a 3rd code.

Put this code into the 3rd Line.

Click on Activate.

Kendall

• StevieCStevieC Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Thank you Kendall!

edited December 1969

StevieC said:
    Thank you Kendall!

Thank you for purchasing LAMH! Let's see some awesome renders... :-)

Kendall

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,486
    edited January 2013

njbst18 said:

What density was the hair set at? And what number of hair did you export?

Also, to other folks...

I am making some anime styled hair presets, and when when i change the head shape of genesis very much (as with Aiko or hitomi or mavka) it messes up the styling. Currently I was working with 50% Hitomi, 50% Satsuki but I could probably change it.

Keepin the shape relatively simple what base anime genesis shape would you prefer?

For folks not using genesis I could also do an Aiko 4 version. We'll see if anyone likes it I guess....

Keeping in mind that to change position, as its a long hair style, you'd have to manual restyle it- but that's teh awesomeness of LAMH anyway. :D And the way I set up the anime hair style is very easy to quickly restyle. :)

Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
    edited December 1969

As Alex said in a previous post: Seeing our toy being used is the greatest reward.

BTW, that cat render made me do a double take. Very nicely laid out.

Kendall

Thank you Kendall. Glad you both liked it! :) Couldn't have done it without LAMH..........;)

edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:

WOW that cat image, my 2 year old, who just learned to say cat (in English AND Chinese, ha) was THRILLED with it! he saw it on the screen as I'm reading the thread and he got all excited and kept saying "Cat! Mao Mao! Meow! Cat! Mao mao! Meow!" repeatedly and if I switch away he just says it more insistently/demandingly! Oh dear... :) he thinks it is pretty realistic. :P he seems to love cats currently though he hasn't ever seen one up close (I don't know anyone with a cat). Fantastic render btw!

edited December 1969

I'm so glad your little boy likes my cat!! That just made my day. :) Please feel free to download the picture for him as a gift from me. Cats are such beautiful creatures, though none of my family really agrees with me on that one.......lol. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Aw thanks Cymbidium! I just printed it out and gave it to him... he's sitting on the floor petting the picture and meowing..... HAHAHA. It's so adorable, wish you could see it!! I hope he doesn't ask me for a real cat, we can't have pets where we live... The picture will have to be enough for now!! :P

edited December 1969

You're so very welcome!! Aren't they adorable at that age - I remember well when my two boys were little and oh so cute! They're grown men now.....:)......no longer cute, but still nice to have around (most of the time, lol). Maybe you could get him a toy cat instead of a real one? ;)

edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:
    I'm so glad your little boy likes my cat!! That just made my day. :) Please feel free to download the picture for him as a gift from me. Cats are such beautiful creatures, though none of my family really agrees with me on that one.......lol. :coolsmile:

Hi Cymbidium, just posted your render on LAMH FB page: https://www.facebook.com/LookAtMyHair and soon will be posting it also on the blog! Thanks for sharing your image :)

• commorancycommorancy Posts: 39
    edited January 2013

And here's Steph. Renderer: 3Delight

Steph.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 180K
    Post edited by commorancy on
    edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:

Hi Cymbidium, just posted your render on LAMH FB page: https://www.facebook.com/LookAtMyHair and soon will be posting it also on the blog! Thanks for sharing your image :)

Thanks Alex! :) Looking forward to playing around with LAMH a lot in the future. ;)

• RhaleRhale Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

1. The OSD does not activate, when pressing space bar in styling mode when the comb function is active.

2. The OSD is activated if I hold down CTRL (scale) or Shift (Cut), but the OSD window obscures the brush, so if I adjust the size of the brush downwards, I can't see what size the brush is while adjusting it.

Can you confirm if these two are intended behaviours please?

(This is on Windows 64 bit Daz Studio)

edited December 1969

Rhale_2 said:
    1. The OSD does not activate, when pressing space bar in styling mode when the comb function is active.

2. The OSD is activated if I hold down CTRL (scale) or Shift (Cut), but the OSD window obscures the brush, so if I adjust the size of the brush downwards, I can't see what size the brush is while adjusting it.

Can you confirm if these two are intended behaviours please?

(This is on Windows 64 bit Daz Studio)

Hi, we are probably going to change the way the OSD works in upcoming update, however if you hold the space_bar it should indeed popup. Are you sure you don't have any keyboard/keystroke resident software that perhaps is interfering with that?

• RhaleRhale Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

Hi, we are probably going to change the way the OSD works in upcoming update, however if you hold the space_bar it should indeed popup. Are you sure you don't have any keyboard/keystroke resident software that perhaps is interfering with that?

Hi Alessandro, thanks for the response. There's definately no keystroke software etc. The OSD works ok on my Mac install, but not on the Windows one (64 bit Studio 4.5.1.6 and also 4.5.1.56)

Is it possible to have the brush size and intensity sliders placed in the right hand control panel so they are permanently visible?

edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:
    You're so very welcome!! Aren't they adorable at that age - I remember well when my two boys were little and oh so cute! They're grown men now.....:)......no longer cute, but still nice to have around (most of the time, lol). Maybe you could get him a toy cat instead of a real one? ;)

Oh he does have a toy cat, that sings :P It runs around on wheels... only one of the wheels broke recently so cat is no more. He loved that cat tho, its what got him walking :D He'd hug it and pet it. hehehe. Er I suppose i would be correct in saying he no longer has a pet cat. I should see what there is now for a 2 year old.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

When my youngest Grandson was born I found a place where you could buy a stuffed toy with a personalied "talk box" inside, so you could send a message with the toy. I had a Fluffy cat made for him, with a "Love from Grandma" message on the Squeak box, and he loved it, wouldn't be parted from it.

edited December 1969

Hi Rhale, even if you are the first user (and only, to my knowledge) to report such issue, me and Kendall will certainly address this in the upcoming update.