Dynamic Clothes Useable Un-Dynamically?

IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
edited December 1969 in New Users

Can a dynamic clothing model be used on a model without the dynamics?

I've seen a couple of nice looking "garments" but they seem to be dynamic only.
There are problems for me about dynamic items, which may be my misunderstandings:

1. There seems to be two kinds, a DAZ and a Poser type, and neither version works in opposite program. I only have DAZ3 and 4.

2. Thee was a dynamic plugin in DAZ 3 that didnt work, and I couldnt get the one DAZ 4.0 to work.

I could never get the DAZ Dynamic Tablecloth to work, so I didnt pursue learning the technique or sccop up the opitex freebies in the old DAZ format. Both the 3 and 4 software versions were freebies. I did not purchase additions to them just use as they were installed.

But I still see some things that are very nice looking for my purposes. Will they work in the regular way, posing with the body? Would that be only DAZ/Optiex or will Poser dynamic cloths work too? I am interested in the DAZ Doorman in particular.

At this time I am not going to load DAZ 4.5 as I do not want to overwrite the existing version where I have many scenes I do not wish to convert to new file format.

Searching for information on this topic has been very diffcult to filter. Sorry if this has been asked and answered already.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Simple answer...no, they won't.

Most of the Poser format dynamic clothing available does not have a 'conforming' option too. It's basically just the 'shell' with no way of posing it. It would have to be rigged and morphs added to it to make it work.

The Daz/Optitex stuff works in Studio 3 and 4.x, with the basic control plugin (included) or the purchased one (more features). That's the only route to get dynamics at this point.

Now with some of the Poser only dynamics...I've posed the figure, exported the figure as an obj. Then imported it into Blender, imported the clothing item, then used Blender to run a cloth simulation on it. Then when I got it to look right, I exported the item from Blender and imported it back to Studio...way too much work for everyday use, btw (there's lots left out of that basic description...like the amount of time fiddling with the mesh to fit it to the figure, pinning parts and what not...)

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Simple answer...no, they won't.
    At least not without some work....and only if the item is suitable for conforming.

It is possible to use the transfer utility to conform items to genesis. Depending on the outfit you may need to do some tweaking.

This was recently done for the Mortella dress created by Arien. Which until recently only poser users could use as it was to difficult to rig. Someone has since rigged it for Genesis and it works beautifully. With the new smoothing features in DS it also has help with what previously was to hard to rig.

Of course this will not work with all dynamic items.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

@mjc1016

Your speedy and very cear explanation about the dynamic clothing is very helpful. You were able to answer all my questions. I agree the workaround seems like a lot of work, even with some left out, but nice to know there is one.
    Thank you for taking the time,
    IceScribe

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

@Pendraia

It's good to know that the Genesis transfer utility might work with some tweaking. I find I still have to tweak some V4 things with Genesis after posing anyway, so that is not too bad. But, you say too, it's not likely Poser or DAZ dynamic items will work as static "conforming:" clothes.
    Thank you,
    IceScribe

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

IceScribe said:
    @Pendraia

It's good to know that the Genesis transfer utility might work with some tweaking. I find I still have to tweak some V4 things with Genesis after posing anyway, so that is not too bad. But, you say too, it's not likely Poser or DAZ dynamic items will work as static "conforming:" clothes.
    Thank you,
    IceScribe

Just to clarify the dress I mentioned was dynamic to begin with...where you would how've problems with dynamic is when the overall shape of the item heavily relies on the dynamic draping and not so much the model led details...