Installing content on Mac Mountain Lion

I'm trying to install some old content on a new Mac running the latest version of OSX 10 Mountain Lion 10.8.1.

I've downloaded and installed Daz Studio 4.5 with no problems and added the Genesis starter items. I've also added Michael 4 from archived copies of original Daz installers.

However when I try to do the same for other content I have such as "Hiro 4" and "Ethnic faces" the installer fails with the message "can not finish installation as the file does not exist".

I have no option but to click "OK" to this and the installer then quits and nothing is installed.

How I can re-install all my original content when I only have the Daz installers?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Well, Hiro 4 and probably the Ethnic Faces too, need to be installed into the same runtime folder as M4 H4 is a morph of M4, and the installer looks for M4 before installing. That is all I can think of for the moment.

The same applies to V4, her morphs, A4, G4, SF4 etc, need to be installed into the same runtime folder as V4, including Morphs++ as well in both cases.

• edited December 1969

The problem I'm having is it doesn't matter what Directory I choose from the Installer it still refuses to instal. As it's the original Daz installer that worked on earlier versions of the Mac OS I can only assume that it's the Daz's Installer that is not compatible with Mountain Lion.

So I won't be buying any new content as I'm not going to know if it will work or not.

edited December 1969

Jon-3D said:
    The problem I'm having is it doesn't matter what Directory I choose from the Installer it still refuses to instal. As it's the original Daz installer that worked on earlier versions of the Mac OS I can only assume that it's the Daz's Installer that is not compatible with Mountain Lion.

So I won't be buying any new content as I'm not going to know if it will work or not.

As stated previously, you can't 'choose' a directory to install Hiro 4 into. It MUST be installed into the same runtime folder as Michael 4, or it wont install. Find out which folder M4 is installed into, and give the installer the path to the folder which 'holds' that runtime folder, and it should install OK. I can't see that it is a problem with Mountain Lion at this stage, since the other files installed correctly.

Are you sure that M4 installed correctly? Can you see a runtime folder structure that Michael is installed into. Can you load M4 on his own before you try to install anything else?

• edited December 1969

I installed Michael M4 first and the Runtime Folder was installed correctly and I could load Michael without problems.

When I tried to install Hiro4 the default setting seemed to be correct but it always failed whatever I did.

However, I've solved my problem, all-be-it by a rather roundabout route. I did exactly the same installation on an older Mac at work running OSX Leopard.

This time everything worked OK and I then copied the Runtime Folder and replaced the one on my Mac at home.

Studio 4.5 is now seeing all my content and is working fine.

edited December 1969

If this is a bug, and it looks very like it, you should report it through the Mantis Bug Tracker, so that the devs will at least know about the problem. I haven't heard of any other ones, but Hiro is not all that popular. Perhaps another Mac user could try this as well?

https://bugs.daz3d.com/main_page.php

Above is the link to the Bug Tracker, you have to open a new account there, your DAZ 3D login and password wont work. It only takes a few moments.

• WakakanadaWakakanada Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

I was wondering if the old installer issue was ever resolved or is Snow Leopard the last functioning OS? I hope not as I really need to upgrade to get on iCloud and I'd rather not have to learn Poser. Do the old installers work on Lion or Mountain Lion.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,884
    edited December 1969

Older content has been moved into zip files (actual zip archives, not just a zip wrapper for the installer) and so should work with any OS version.

• WakakanadaWakakanada Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Older content has been moved into zip files (actual zip archives, not just a zip wrapper for the installer) and so should work with any OS version.

WONDERFUL!!! :coolsmile:
    Thanks Richard, as always you are the light in the darkness. Downloading the upgrade from Snow Leopard now!