Jared for Michael 7 Question

barbultbarbult Posts: 23,121

Does anyone have Jared for Michael 7 yet? Does he render as orange as he looks in the promo images? He's cheap at 75% off with purchase today, but the orange skin  makes me hesitate.

Comments

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,301

In 3Delight he renders normal; with a fair, but not pale skin. I think the light in the promo pic is making him look orange, or maybe the ginger hair ('halo effect'). Jared is a nice character, but I'm going to change his chin. It is too poined for my taste, but this may be welcome for Elven/Fairy/Fantasy etc. renders. He has very nice eyebrows!

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,301
    edited December 2015
    caravelle said:

In 3Delight he renders normal; with a fair, but not pale skin. I think the light in the promo pic is making him look orange, or maybe the ginger hair ('halo effect'). Jared is a nice character, but I'm going to change his chin. It is too pointed for my taste, but this may be welcome for Elven/Fairy/Fantasy etc. renders. He has very nice eyebrows!

Uups, I quoted myself!

Post edited by caravelle on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited December 2015

He looks fine to me, rendered with the default HDRI....

EDIT: He gets a pale skin when you render him in 4.9. I'm just waiting for that picture to complete rendering and will post it then. That has probably to do with one of the parameter settings that got fixed in 4.8 and influences how skin looks.

Rendered in 4.8

Renderd in 4.9

jared.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 387K
    jared49.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 395K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,121
    Thanks, that looks much better than the promos!
  • Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750

Thanks for the images BeeMKay

Can anyone say if the Jared for M7 Default Skin Clean Shaven has stubble showing?

I'm using G3 for hunting, tramping, camping scenes and want a more outdoorsy, unpampered look for females.

With Genesis I sometimes use appropriate male skins and this looks like it will work the same for G3 but even close stubble kills the effect.

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited January 2016

Post edited by acanthis on
  • I'm currently not seeing any discount on Jared (just plain $17.95). I notice Abandoned District doesn't either. Is this a store error?

edited January 2016

I'm currently not seeing any discount on Jared (just plain $17.95). I notice Abandoned District doesn't either. Is this a store error?

• acanthis said:

I'm currently not seeing any discount on Jared (just plain $17.95). I notice Abandoned District doesn't either. Is this a store error?

You need to buy something else (at the same time) that is in the Holiday Sale and costs at least $1. Then you get 75% off.

Thank you! Fortunately there was a couple of sale things I wanted. $4.49—that's a bit better!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

Yeah he does look orange. I wish promo art used more neutral lighting so I could see what textures look like

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,303

As was discussed in another thread, if the promo used any emission shaders, these by default load with a temperature that turns anything in the render orange.

edited January 2016
    Havos said:

As was discussed in another thread, if the promo used any emission shaders, these by default load with a temperature that turns anything in the render orange.

acanthis said:
    Havos said:

Sorry, what other thread? Not all emissive shaders have a tungsten colour temperature by default.

Clearly, the temperature can be changed. What I am saying is, if someone double clicks on the Emissive shader in the DS default iRay shaders it loads with a temperature of 2900K, which has an orange color. This can then be changed, but if it is not, the render will go orange. Someone else mentioned that the orange skin color is probably down to other reasons, in the skin translucency settings, so this orange skin look can have a variety of causes. The thread is here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/67756/what-i-don-t-like-about-iray#latest

Havos said:
    acanthis said:
    Havos said:

Sorry, what other thread? Not all emissive shaders have a tungsten colour temperature by default.

Clearly, the temperature can be changed. What I am saying is, if someone double clicks on the Emissive shader in the DS default iRay shaders it loads with a temperature of 2900K, which has an orange color. This can then be changed, but if it is not, the render will go orange. Someone else mentioned that the orange skin color is probably down to other reasons, in the skin translucency settings, so this orange skin look can have a variety of causes. The thread is here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/67756/what-i-don-t-like-about-iray#latest

Thanks for the link, but I'm still not clear on this. There are examples above of the character being rendered in 4.8 and 4.9. The 4.9 render has a bluer tint, 4.8 more orange. I don't know if the OP used an emissive shader anywhere when doing those, but it is a documented fact that the behaviour of SSS in the iRay renderer is different between 4.8 and 4.9, with a cooler cast being given to skin tones in 4.8.

Or, is it the case that the DAZ developers have also changed the behaviour of the default emissive shader to have a higher default colour temperature? I'm confused about the two different explanations for this skin colour difference and I think it does need to be cleared up because, as I say, there are some people who are determined not to move to 4.9. I'm one of them.

I was only speculating about a possible explanation for the orange tint, but I believe it is a highly unlikely explanation in this case, which is more likely one of the other reasons given here, for the very facts that you stated (ie the differences in 4.8 and 4.9). I merely stated what would happen (as this happened to me), if someone makes a surface into a light by just selecting the Emissive Shader Preset available in the default presets. This loads at 2900K, and someone unaware of the effect would see their scene rendered more orange than expected. It is highly unlikely that the person who did these promos was unaware of this, if indeed they used emissive shaders at all.

• Using 4.9 would not force you to use Daz Connect, if that is your reason for staying with 4.8. it would give you updated versions of both 3Delight and Iray, including a fix for the issue that causes Iray to crash with certain models using the CPU.

• AllegraAllegra Posts: 405

Here's a quick iray render using basic lights Daz 4.8, he's not orange;)

jared01.jpg
    574 x 729 - 79K
    edited January 2016

Using 4.9 would not force you to use Daz Connect, if that is your reason for staying with 4.8. it would give you updated versions of both 3Delight and Iray, including a fix for the issue that causes Iray to crash with certain models using the CPU.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited December 2015

From the 4.9-thread, first post http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/67115/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-9-0-54-release-candidate/p1:

"IA Iray related

• Fixes made to the implementation of Sub Surface Scattering (SSS) in the NVIDIA Iray renderer affect materials which have "Translucency Weight" active—not set to 0. This manifests in skin tones appearing more blue than they do in 4.8. A quick adjustment that can be made during the BETA phase is to adjust the "SSS Reflectance Tint" from a light blue to a light yellow—R: 1.00, G: 0.88, B: 0.67. Adjust this value to your liking.
      • After the BETA phase, Daz 3D products will be updated to include this change."

Here's the parameter in question for Jared's skin:, which would explain why he looks more "bluish" in 4.9.

TLJared.JPG
    438 x 714 - 62K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,811
    acanthis said:

It has been made very clear to me that I am not allowed to state my reasons for not upgrading to version 4.9 on the forums. I'm just trying to understand what safeguards I need to take to continue safely rendering in 4.8 - if updates to products that I already own are issued that alter the shaders to match the version of iRay in 4.9.

Anyway, Shanina's render satisfies me that this issue is not one which affects the product in question. Thanks for that.

In general, if lighting isn't the issue, for materials designed for 4.9, try looking at the "Base Color Effect" toggle. If it's set to "Scatter and Transmit", try switching it to "Scatter Only" to see if that gives you something that looks better to you. I've been tinkering a bit, and it seems to pull down the orange/red effect without a strong blue shift.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

I sadly couldn't get a non-orange image out of him in iray. I have 4.8 I decided to stop trying. I'm not really an expert at Iray, and used predone light sets. But most made him orange.

I did get a decent one in 3delight which wasn't orange.

I sadly couldn't get a non-orange image out of him in iray. I have 4.8 I decided to stop trying. I'm not really an expert at Iray, and used predone light sets. But most made him orange.

Serene...I used out of the box iray lights too for the quick render.... the Club Noir Photometric Lights from Daz....

Club Noir lights seem to be heavily tinted environments. Perhaps you used one with a blue tint which counteracted the orange in the skin.

barbult said:

Club Noir lights seem to be heavily tinted environments. Perhaps you used one with a blue tint which counteracted the orange in the skin.

Could be barbult, I often go for neutral to blue tints;)

• Iray in DS 4.9 RC with the Tint fix.  Karen 7 behind him for reference.  Scene was lit only with the sun and default tone mapping.

j-test.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 595K
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,811

I don't have 4.9, either; I'm using 4.8. The shaders in 4.9 use "Scatter and Transmit"; the shaders in 4.8 frequently just use "Scatter Only". I'm doing a render now or I'd show what I mean.

That said, Jared seems to be particularly sensitive to the lighting that he's in. If it's got an even slightly yellow, pink or red tone, he goes to orange. White and blue tints do best.

edited December 2015

Well, I got him today when I finally found something else I wanted to buy. Here he is with Michael 7 for skin comparison. He is a little oranger, I think, but what really strikes me is how flat and lifeless his skin looks compared to Michael 7. Maybe some tweaking will help, but he is a bit of a disappointment out of the box, for me. Good thing he was so cheap.

Edited to add: His arm bend looks pretty strange, too. I don't know if that is inherited from G3M, M7 or is just Jared.

Edited again to add: This was rendered in DS 4.8 Iray.

Michael 7 and Jared clean shaven.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 835K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799

Helooks great, actually! He reminds me of FWArt's style! :)

Well, G2 style, anyway. I've noticed his G3 textures don't have that same smooth, clean, matte look... :(

Helooks great, actually! He reminds me of FWArt's style! :)

Well, G2 style, anyway. I've noticed his G3 textures don't have that same smooth, clean, matte look... :(

Wow, well I guess we are looking for different things. So there is something for everyone.
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

His specular is lacking, that's a large part of the difference between those two images.