Question on glossiness and specular strength

cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
edited September 2015 in The Commons

Maybe someone can help me with this new AoA Shader related to glossiness and specular strength.

I can try and try and try either I get a result where everthing is without gloss or it is totally glossy but I want some glossiness, highlights if you want, my english is not so good that I can clear explain what I mean but maybe it is understandable.

What does specular noise density and specular noise strength?

Post edited by cosmo71 on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Glossiness parameter controls the size of the highlight...low number is wide/spread out; high number is small/tight.

Speculart strength is how strong the highlight is.

Specular noise density and strength are a procedural noise to add an unevenness to the highlight.  Density is how much 'noise'/unevenness there is and strength is how prominent it will be...a very high strength with a mid to high density will almost, but not quite, make a sparkly surface.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited September 2015
    mjc1016 said:

Glossiness parameter controls the size of the highlight...low number is wide/spread out; high number is small/tight.

Speculart strength is how strong the highlight is.

Specular noise density and strength are a procedural noise to add an unevenness to the highlight.  Density is how much 'noise'/unevenness there is and strength is how prominent it will be...a very high strength with a mid to high density will almost, but not quite, make a sparkly surface.

Well it seemed to me that the values are contrariwise than normal that is why I was asking, maybe I have a kink in the optics surprise

Post edited by cosmo71 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

In 3Delight, 100 % glossy means just a tiny pin-prick of a highlight.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    mjc1016 said:

In 3Delight, 100 % glossy means just a tiny pin-prick of a highlight.

okay, then it is as it was :) as I said "knik in the optics" laugh