lights, gloss and shine on skin Iray

edited July 2015 in Daz Studio Discussion

Does anyone know what is the problem. Can it be cause environment intensity set to 25? Render settings is default. Irratiations process going numbers changing but always says that 0.0% converged of image.
 Everithing was good before I try increase environment intensity cause don't have enough light in scene.

Post edited by confiados_bea7a0dbf4 on

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,990

Yes, that might be the problem.

what kind of lights are you using in the scene? 

Check out the tonemapping settings. Start out with lowering the fstop setting to 1.4, the shutter speed to 100, and increase the iso to 200. 

• edited July 2015

I try both some spot lights pointed from top corners of the room and even on intensity 100% of 3 spot lights the scene was to dark and I must increase env intensity. Lights was on room I am sure.

Tryed also distant light pointed on models with high intensity and scene was too bright even on intensity of distant light 20%

Sometimes it looks cool with out much manipulation and sometimes I lost whole day and get nothing.

I can't make much of tests cause my Pc really slow and every scene prepare 20 minutes before irratiation process starts but with this scene it was really fast 3-4 minutes and I was able to see the process.

Tonemaping is on default 2.20

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

I doubt the issue is the level of enviroment so much as low light levels and not using photometric lights properly. If your loading photometric spots and adjusthing the intinsety it isn't doing anything at all really. Photometric lights are adjusted via the luminouse flux (lumen) for brightness. Try increasing the lumen to about 3500 for each of the spots and see if that does not help. A distance light is not really an Iray light type so it ma give you odd results (over bright) or increase the amount of render time.

Try this: http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Getting-Started-With-Iray-519725115

or 

the photometric lights are started separately in the tutorials, because they were made during the beta phase. In the current version, the upper part of the light controls is for 3Delight, the lower part for Iray.

• edited July 2015

I doubt the issue is the level of enviroment so much as low light levels and not using photometric lights properly. If your loading photometric spots and adjusthing the intinsety it isn't doing anything at all really. Photometric lights are adjusted via the luminouse flux (lumen) for brightness. Try increasing the lumen to about 3500 for each of the spots and see if that does not help. A distance light is not really an Iray light type so it ma give you odd results (over bright) or increase the amount of render time.

I know about luminouse option that it's more depends on iray but I must disagree in my case when I set intensity of distant light, the render become darker and when I set luminouse to 3500 it change nothing.

Can you please tell me guys what kind of environment you using dome, dome and scene, scene or sun light and what render settings,how much emmision intensity in sky dome surfaces?

Try this: http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Getting-Started-With-Iray-519725115

or 

the photometric lights are started separately in the tutorials, because they were made during the beta phase. In the current version, the upper part of the light controls is for 3Delight, the lower part for Iray.

Saw this video but can't get it anyway in example the she set intensity of emmision channel of skydome to 100000000 it's to much for my scenes, less not enough.

It would be helpfull if you can give some advices what settings you uses for environment (I mean dome, dome and scene or scene or sun light only)  in different cases outdoor, indoor etc and what render settings and how you set lights to them?

English isn't my first but I understand tutorial anyway she uses just sun sky only it's really complicated for me to get it also I think she post/say a lot of excess info which confused me.

If you can give me other tutorial this would be great. thnaks in advance.

A skydome in your scene will block out the light. That is why she made the skydome a light emitter.

In the Render Settings, check the "Environment" tab.

The "Dome and Scene" uses all lights: the HDRimage and any lights you have placed in the scene.

The "Dome only" uses just the HDR image.

The "Sun-Sky only" uses a "sun" and a blue, cloudless sky. You can control the sun settngs by the latitude/longitude and date/time settings. Also, there's something called a "sun-dial" in the Iray lights. If you load this, it will give you something to easily control the direction of your sun.

The "Scene Only" uses just the scene lights, not the sun or HDRimage light.

I'd recommend you start out with this setting: Set your Environment to "Scene Only".

Load a figure or prob.

Now, create a sphere primitive (diameter 1 meter is fine, less is also okay). Apply the Iray Default shader to it, and then the "emmissive Iray shader". When you apply the Iray shader, make sure you have selected the surface properly! ( bought "Real Lights" Iray shader, which helps quite a lot making the lights right)

Move the sphere above a bit, as if you were placing a regular light.

Now, make a test render. The render is probably dark.

Go to the surface settings of your sphere, and look for the lumiance setting. Increase it to around 45.000 - that should be a good starting point for this light globe.

Now, experient with the temperature. You will see that a temperature around 2000 will make your light more red, and higher temperature will make the light white to bluish.

Once you have a hang of this, you can delete the sphere and load a spot light. The default lumiance for it is 1500. If you render with the default tonemapping settings (and that is NOT just the Gamma correction 2.2), you will need around 45.000-50.000 lumiance to light up your prob. In some cases, even more.

Once you have experimented with this, reduce the lumiance to 1500 again.

Go to the Rendersettings, and select "Tonemapping". Now go to fstop. change fstop from 8.0 to 5.6 or 4.8.

Then, go to shutter speed, and change it from 125 to 100.

Now try to render. You will see that your dark picture will have more light in it.

Once you have experiented with this, let me know.

• edited July 2015

Wow this is so kind from you, thank you so much for your time in writing this. This is really informative. I will try and sure  tell you where I go with it.

Well I set environment to scene only. Load the sphere and add uber shader (which is first) in Iray materiaals and after that emmision shader.

There is orange circle on the render and nothing separate with light?

Is I must add also skydome or spot light?

On what channel in the surfaces I must change luminanse? Emission channel?

When I set luminanse of sphere 45000 it's become yelow but this is with out any lights and background.

What we are up to? I must change temperature before sphere become white? It woul be good for rendering models?

I ithnk 6500 is good remmeber it from lux render.

But if I delete sphere what I must render? My scene with models? I mean for tests,

edited July 2015

I made some screen shots for you, to help you start.

I created a "stage" from three planes.

6500 is a good temperature for white light.

Settings1.JPG
    1136 x 813 - 114K
    helles.JPG
    1336 x 918 - 133K
    Settings3.JPG
    543 x 529 - 48K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
    edited July 2015

And here is the sphere using default light settings.

To see the light, I have to change the tonemapping.

Tonemapping.JPG
    1368 x 837 - 141K
    Tonemapping2.JPG
    1115 x 917 - 121K
  • Looks like I get it before you make screenshot I found that with two spot lights on luminanse 150000.

Two models indoor. Lights one from the top front corner and 2nd from right top  corner. Scene in the environment but models looks the some like on the preview. The image looks like more screenshot than render.

I made some works with iray and them was way better than this one. I mean no depth of field or occlusion. maybe I must try other type of environment or add hdr map?

I made bath scene some days ago and it looks awesome just with one distant light and default hdr map.

I think I will show you screens so you can understand. Thanks so much for willing to help

You can do that. But it's late in my time zone, so it will be several hours before you get an answer.

• Ok than. Take your time. Check PM please when come back

edited August 2015

Okay... I've tried to simulate your setting, but as I don't have that set, I improvised.

I'm using the Dome & Scene setting, with the default HDR image.

It is important to remember that you will have to set up lights in a way that you would do in real life. Iray light sources decay over distance, like real light sources. Also, if you are in a room, light will enter from the Windows and any light source you have in thatr room (given that it is switched to "on"). This makes things easier and more difficult at the same time. If there are no light sources ion your room, and only windows, your image might look like my first one. I added ceiling lights (because that is where lights are most of the time).

First, this is the setting using just the HDRI. The light you see is shining through the windows of the set. I changed the windows to thin glass so they let the light through.

Then, I created a plane (about 20x20cm), and placed it on the ceiling. I turned it into a light emitter. Because I don't want the light to be send to the ceiling, I turned two-sided off. The lighht always shines in the direction of the green arrow. This is how you can easily manipulate the direction.

I then created several instances of my light. The surface settings are transferred from the source light to all other lights. You can change the position of the copy lights. I moved the copy lights so that they lined up nicely left and right, simulating a ceiling light row.

Then, I changed the light settings a bit.

In my render, I slightly tweaked the tone mapping setting of shutter speed during the render.

Thid is the same as above, but the light temperature&color is that of neon light.For this, I used http://www.daz3d.com/real-lights-for-daz-studio-iray

which is highly recommended.

hdri only.JPG
    1537 x 1003 - 338K
    Creating Plane.JPG
    993 x 841 - 123K
    Creating extra ceiling light nodes.JPG
    748 x 609 - 62K
    Lights setup and settings.JPG
    1916 x 838 - 161K
    slight tweaking tonemaps.JPG
    1449 x 943 - 199K
    Render with default tonemaps.JPG
    1291 x 993 - 197K
    edited July 2015

Here's an approach using a set of lights from this set:

http://www.daz3d.com/dramatic-iray-lights

It's using spot lights. Because the "light emitter" setting has been turned to "off" you will not see the spotlight, but it still gives light.

Render wasn't completed with this, so it' still a bit grainy, but you get the idea.

OOTLights.JPG
    1466 x 708 - 132K
    OOTresult.JPG
    697 x 834 - 71K
    edited July 2015

If you want to easily control the sun dial in the "Sun&Sky only" setting, you can use the Sun-Dial.

You can find it in the content library under Render Presets --> Iray

You can either control it by opening the sun dial bones (as seen in the image above) and select the Sun Chain bone. Then using the parameter tab, you can control the direction of the sun light easily.

sundial1.JPG
    1011 x 907 - 105K
    sun dial 2.JPG
    326 x 478 - 37K
  • edited July 2015

Thanks so much for making this tutorial I will try you advices but final image isn't what I was hoped. the room isn't have much light, skin tone really odd or this is just a test?

I then created several instances of my light. The surface settings are transferred from the source light to all other lights. You can change the position of the copy lights. I moved the copy lights so that they lined up nicely left and right, simulating a ceiling light row.

I just don't understand this what is the copy lights? How much lights in the scene 2?

edited July 2015

The skin tone in which image?

The skin tone depends on what light color you use. It is just like in real life- if you use a neon lamp, the same skin will have a different color than when using a lightbulb lamp, or a camp fire.

Also, please remember that this tries to simulate real life. A room is never as bright as the room you had in your example image, unless you set up really strong spotlights in real life.

If you need "more light" play around with the fstop, shutter speed and ISO settings in the ToneMapping during the render. I have attached an image where the arrow points at the slider that will give you the render settings during a render that can be changed.

Copy lights:

In the first example (Scene 1), I did used "Create Node Instances" to make 5 copies of the plane light I has set up.

In Scene 2, I used a vendor-pre-made lighting set, which is generally used for portrait renders. This was just to give you an idea that you can pose spot lights closer to a person and still make it invisible.

tonemaprender.JPG
    335 x 857 - 40K
    edited July 2015

Here are some screenshots for Illustration. I apologize for the bad quality. I stopped the renders at a very low number of iterations.

The scene in this test render is always the same. The only thing that changes are the lumiance/temperature of the lights, and the tonemapping settings.

The "camera" default values (the tonemapping settings) are perfect for a sunny day outdoors. My test scene is indoors and very dark.

First, this "firelight" at default setting.

This is Firelight at changed tonemapping settings.

Second, this replaces the firelight with a setting that emulates a 100 Watts light bulb.

Default tonemapping:

Changed tonemapping.

Third, this setting emulates a 400 Watt Metal Halide lamp.

Default tonemapping:

Changed tonemapping.

ddefault.JPG
    1381 x 847 - 97K
    dfstop2.JPG
    1378 x 872 - 225K
    d100w.JPG
    1035 x 877 - 74K
    d100w1.JPG
    1434 x 873 - 263K
    d400w.JPG
    1379 x 885 - 177K
    d400w5.JPG
    1387 x 884 - 237K
  • edited July 2015

Thanks so much for this tutoral. This is really helpfull.

Can you please tell me how to make shine (gloss) on skin especially legs?

I set glossy weight map on maximum but don't get any shines on skin of models.

edited July 2015

Glossy weight map is not doing anything in Iray; it has to be transferred to Top Coat Weight. A lot of people just leave it out altogether in skin..

I suggest you check this thread, which has a lot of thoughts about skin in Iray: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54239/

There are different ways to achieve glossiness.  You have to try which one works best for yor purposes, and experiment.

I have attached four  images with settings to give you an idea.

First is a slight shine by playing around with the metalicity slider:

Second, is a much lighter sheen through top coat settings change:

Third, is a combination of metallic flakes and Top Coat (two images):

lassa.JPG
    1319 x 852 - 150K
    lassb.JPG
    1284 x 829 - 148K
    lassc2.JPG
    1421 x 905 - 179K
    lassc1.JPG
    1426 x 874 - 186K
  • edited July 2015

Thank so much for this

I have some issues with g2f skin of one of my models. Its Karina HD for g2f and add her like character from character folder so she is separate character based on g2f

other is V6 also with g2f shader, she looks much better. i tryed much of diffrent skins for model in business suit but all skins become much darker after applying shader?

What is the matter?

with  iray shader (viewport)

with out iray shader (viewport)

with out shader (render)

with shader render

edited July 2015

Which shader are you applying? The DAZ Iray Ueber default shader, and then the G2F basic shader?

Skins in Iray need a lot of fiddling to look great. If you do not want to spend a lot of time fiddeling with the settings, you can use this product for better skin looks in Iray: http://www.daz3d.com/beautiful-skin-genesis-2-iray-bundle There's a video tutorial on the product page, so you can see if it's for you.

But as far as Karina is concerened, her skin looks about right, compared to the 3Delight rendered version. Please compare the pictures below. The lady in blue is the unchanged 3Delight skin version. The lady in purple is optimised for Iray. I first applied Iray Ueber Default shader, and then the Genesis 2 Female Skin shader.

The clothing is the original 3Delight materials in the 3Delight image. In the Iray Image, I slightly optimized it.

This picture is rendered in 3Delight. I used AOA Advanced Ambient light and AOA Advanced Distant light.

This picture is rendered in Iray, using Sun & Sky Only setting:

Please do not mind the preview window color of the character. I have several African-American characters in Iray, and in the preview, they look green. :-)

3Delight-Render.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 355K
    IrayREnder.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 325K
  • Iray version looks really cool much better. the girl in blue on 3dlight looks younger but on iray both much more realistic.Thanks ofr this samples. What models is it? I mean names?

i have this skin beautifull skin for Iray and also other called IG G2F Skin shader someting like that.

Tryed both also create new character v6 and apply to it g2f optimized and try also beautifull skin, after applying iray character become really darker and don't know what is the reason.

The model is the same as your model in suit, Karina HD.

The Karina HD character was created for 3Delight render. I used the skin that comes with the character. The lady in blue render is what she looks when you leave the skin untreated, and it looks the same when you only apply Iray Ueber shader.

The character will always turn "dark" in the viewport (before render) when Iray shader is applied. But remember that Karina is also a darker skinned character orininally. Her skin is meant to be darker than V6 skin.

As you can see, the character has the same skin color after render, compared with the Karina in your image.

Beautiful Skin shader can be used if you want a lighter skin.