Millennium Falcon for Poser

VanishingPointVanishingPoint Posts: 50
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I finally finished the Millennium Falcon for Poser. This version is from "The Empire Strikes Back" and was originally made by Andy Crook. It's available as a free download on ShareCG: Millennium Falcon for Poser.

I've actually had this model for a while, but I was waiting for the technology to catch up. :)
When I first worked on it back in 2010, Poser 6 gave me all kinds of errors about reducing the bucket size, etc, and it wouldn't render. Now I'm using 64bit Poser Pro 2012 and it renders without any problems at all.

Anyway, this model is a rigged Poser figure (as usual) and it's scaled to the size of the Poser people: about 34.74 meters/ 114 feet long.

Moving parts:
• Radar dish: up/ down and rotate
• Upper gun: up/ down and rotate
• Lower gun: up/ down and rotate
• Entry ramp: up/ down, with an ERC dial on the Body.
• Landing gear doors: open/ close, with an ERC dial on the Body.
• Landing gear: up/ down, with an ERC dial on the Body.

Notes:
This model is meant for exterior shots: there is no interior and a very basic cockpit.
This is a HUGE model, with over 528,544 polygons. We suggesting using a later version of Poser, such as Poser Pro 2010/ Poser 10 or above.
Textured with texture maps only: all of the surface detail is modelled and no Poser shaders are used on the model.
Texture maps range in size from 934x934 to 2000x2000, so you may need to adjust your render settings.

Original model by: Andy Crook
Mesh cleanup, including splitting multi-point polygons and removing double-sided polygons, and Poser rigging by: JHoagland.

Tested in Poser Pro 2012; has not been tested in DAZ Studio.

Comments

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

Wow. Since it doesn't have Poser shaders I'm hoping this renders well in Daz Studio as well!

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the model! I was using a lower poly game version, but it lacked the detail this one has.

Here is a test render to see how it does in luxrender, nice work!

wipsw.jpg
    1608 x 903 - 2M
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited April 2015

"what a piece of junk!" :D

ty ty ty

Post edited by LycanthropeX on
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

Looks pretty good 'straight out of the box' in DAZ Studio.

Falcon.png
    1000 x 750 - 1M
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

OMG! This is so excellent!

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited April 2015

ty ty ty

She may not look like much! But she's got it where it counts, Kid! :-)

Post edited by MN-150374 on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553
    edited December 1969

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

or

"Would it help if I got out and pushed?"

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,748
    edited December 1969

Just yesterday I had an idea for a star wars render with the falcon...but could not find a good model of it.
    Thanx

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Very nice,

Will there be an upgrade pack to reflect the Falcon from the new movie!?

CHEERS!

• king.bidzinskiking.bidzinski Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

Awesome are you doing any animated stuff with this?

• aldemps_65d152c25faldemps_65d152c25f Posts: 157
    edited April 2015

Just wanted to say thanks.
    My 8 year old computer running Poser 7 renders okay (although the display is slow to update when moving th model)

15-04-22_solo.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 1M
    15-04-22_Imperial_Entanglements.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 938K
    Post edited by aldemps_65d152c25f on
  • OrionPax09OrionPax09 Posts: 419
    edited December 1969

I hate to say this, but I have found a bug that occurs with this model in DAZ Studio. Some kind of glitch that effects the doors of the front landing gear.

For some reason, the bulk of Front Door 2 is stretched out and is in constant contact with the end of Front Door 1, with the end polygon of Front Door 2 floating in empty air. I've tried everything I can think of to correct this problem in DAZ Studio, but to no avail. And in all honesty, I have a great deal of trouble trying to work with Poser. So if there's any chance you or someone else here can address this issue and correct it, I would be deeply appreciative.

Millennium_Falcon_Glitch.png
    1002 x 885 - 356K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited December 1969

That means the geometry is welded in the OBJ file - DS doesn't unweld everything the way Poser does. The fix is to take it into a modeller, select the hatch, cut, paste back, save (making sure you have a copy of the original in case of problems).

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Sure the cut/paste is necessary? I've had good fixes to the welding problem simply importing and exporting the whole .obj using Hexagon.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

MN-150374 said:

ty ty ty

She may not look like much! But she's got it where it counts, Kid! :-)
    ...You know, that ship saved my life quite a few times. She's the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy

Many thanks.

• OrionPax09OrionPax09 Posts: 419
    edited December 1969

Oh, good grief. I just tried taking the OBJ to Hexagon and then sent into the proper file in DAZ Studio. And it works perfectly.

It never once occurred to me that it could be a welding problem. Thank you so much for helping me out on this. I was planning on doing a quick movie featuring the Falcon lifting off from Tatooine, but I didn't want to do it with the faulty hatch for reasons obvious.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Oh, good grief. I just tried taking the OBJ to Hexagon and then sent into the proper file in DAZ Studio. And it works perfectly.

It's not any particular brilliance on my part, it's just that over the last few months I've been doing a lot of converting from native Poser format into native D|S format. So that Hexagon trick, which I read about here on the forums a few years ago, is never far from the top of my mind when an attemped conversion goes all worng. ;-)
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

OrionPax09 said:

It's not any particular brilliance on my part, it's just that over the last few months I've been doing a lot of converting from native Poser format into native D|S format. So that Hexagon trick, which I read about here on the forums a few years ago, is never far from the top of my mind when an attemped conversion goes all worng. ;-)

Can this be described in detail for the ignorant among us?  Or can the corrected obj file be uploaded somewhere by VP?

• scathascatha Posts: 756

Or the corrected file be shared here for us DS users?

• Ostadan said:

Can this be described in detail for the ignorant among us?

It's fairly straightforward, all you need is Hexagon and a good working knowledge of where the bits and pieces of the Poser files in your Runtime are stored.

Note that this is one of the few times it's safe(ish) to mess around with the .obj files in your /Runtime/Geometries/ folder, without precise and in-depth knowledge of what you're doing.

First, look through your Geometries folder so you know where to find the glitching .obj file. Just in case Something Horrible™ happens, also know where the original installer is, so you can replace the .obj file with a good copy and try again.

Start Hexagon. It's best if you have the up-to-date version 2.5.1.79 but this should work with any version of Hexagon 2. Select File>Import and navigate to the .obj file. Note that you will have to change the File Type drop-down, the default setting is for native-format .hxn files.

The import options dialog is a bit daunting, but all you need to do is make sure all the options are turned off, or set to no change, with the Import Scale Factor at 1.0.

Note that you probably won't see the object in the Hexagon workspace. It is there, but the difference in native Poser and Hexagon default scales means it's so tiny it's invisible.

And now immediately export the object again. In the middle of the right side of the Hexagon screen you should see a "Scene" box. Make sure the object you've just imported is selected here. Go to File>Export>Wavefront OBJ and make sure the name you're about to use is exactly the same as the file you just loaded.

Click "Yes" to replace the file, and you'll see the Export Options dialog. This should be set the same way as the Import Options dialog was, except "Export UVs" and "Export Normals" should be selected.

And that's it. Close Hexagon, start D|S, and the object in your Content tab should now load properly.

Nice if you have Hexagon.

Could similar be done in Blender? I have that and it was free.

CHEERS!

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

If you have Split selected instead of Keep Vertex Order in Blender it should cut the model up at the vertex groups.

Ok, might give that a try sometime.

CHEERS!

• scathascatha Posts: 756

Hexagon always screws up the size of the export for me, no clue why ...

• Possibly can be fixed in DAZ studio itself using the geometry editing tool too, even if just by hiding then deleting the door and saving without as a support asset prop and doing opposite and saving that.

Not tried I admit on this model

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Any way to fix it with Carrara? I tried to Import to Carrara, export... but I ended up with a single un-rigged object.

• Hi Tim, I'll see if it loads in Carrara 7.2. If it does, it should load in 8.5, especially if you're using the 64 bit version.
  • I added the falcon to one of my Poser style runtimes and loaded it directly from Carrara's Content browser. Just dragged the icon from the browser and dropped it on the Instances tray. It took a long time to load, probably 10 to 20 minutes on my ancient machine, but it loaded in Carrara 7.2 Pro, which is 32 bit. It should load in C8.5 from the Content browser as well. Just give it time.

It's a big model, so load times will be long no matter what you do, but once it is loaded, save it to your Object browser where it will be saved as a .car file, and will load in Carrara much faster, as there won't be a need to convert it.

The sliders to control the landing gear, landing gear bay doors and gangway ramp all worked as expected.

The Assembly room responsiveness was sluggish on my system, but to speed things up, I lowered the displayed texture size, and turned of reflections and transparency in the Interactive Renderer (which is strictly for the display and has no effect on Render room settings). I also turned the display to wireframe for even more responsiveness.

I've attached some screen shots and a quick and dirty render using the default light, to show that it worked. I did add a glow to the engines.

Picture 2.png
    994 x 946 - 299K
    Picture 3.png
    991 x 963 - 209K
    Picture 4.png
    1066 x 357 - 62K
    Picture 5.png
    256 x 425 - 26K
    Falcon test.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 357K
    Falcon test.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 357K
    Falcon test.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 357K
  • yes I have tried it in Carrara as a Poser prop too and it worked fine

• Went into the figures section of the runtime for me.