Looking for Metadata file specification

I’m looking for the file specification for the DAZ Studio metadata files, but haven’t been able to locate it anywhere. Has the file spec been published, or will I need to reverse engineer the it from examples?

I have gazillions of products from third party (non-DAZ) sources, and I’m looking at a way of quickly creating at least some basic metadata for these products.

Thanks.

Post edited by daz.3d_6d12b24f7e on

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

We have a metadata guru here in the forums. But from what I've read it is not fast or easy to do. I will see if he is on-line. If he is I'll get him to drop in.

They are not logged in right now. But I'm sure another user will drop in with some info before long.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Where were you hiding Cridget? Glad to see you. I wish Daz would write a simple editor for all users. Your Tut's are the best info we have on Metadata.

• edited July 2012

cridgit said:
    The link in my sig takes you to a tutorial for creating your own metadata, how to distribute metadata and there is also a toolkit you can download with some basic templates.

Hi Cridgit,

I’ve read your tutorials (very useful), and the WIP manual (not quite so useful).

About two-thirds of my runtime, some 4500 products, are from sources other than DAZ. While DAZ will, eventually, produce metadata for most of their products, I don’t expect to see metadata for many of the non-DAZ products anytime soon. The DAZ way of generating the metadata from within the product is, to put it politely, inefficient when you’re talking about large numbers of products. I certainly can’t sit and manually produce metadata for all of these products just to get them working in the CMS for myself, and I know my runtime pales into insignificance compared to many, so others are in the same or worse position.

I was hoping someone (preferably DAZ, but I wasn’t holding my breath) had actually published the file formats for the metadata. I’m thinking not so much of trying to generate a complete set of metadata for a product, but a minimal set of metadata sufficient to allow the CMS to function.

Having the file format would have been a significant jump start, but it looks like I’ll have to reverse engineer the file format.

Cheers,

Ælfric.
  • edited July 2012

If anyone (other than me) is interested, attached is a DTD for the metadata XML files (sorry it’s embedded in code tags, but the forum software won’t attach the file). I was derived from some 160 DAZ supplied metadata files, so should be correct given the large sample size. Reasonably well commented.

The only real question I have now is exactly what is a GlobalID, and how do I generate one.

&lt;?xml encoding="UTF-8"?&gt;&lt;!-- Root Element:  ContentDBInstall. Attributes:  VERSION: Should probably provide the version number for the metadata,  but the only value included in any of the DAZ supplied metadata is  "1.0". Contents:  Products: Mandatory--&gt;<!ELEMENT ContentDBInstall (Products)><!ATTLIST ContentDBInstall VERSION CDATA #REQUIRED>&lt;!-- Element:   Products: a list of installable products. Contents:  Product: Mandatory--&gt;<!ELEMENT Products (Product)><!ATTLIST Products>&lt;!-- Element:  Product Attributes:  VALUE: The name of the product. This should be as close as feasible to  the name within the store. Contents:  StoreID: Mandatory  GlobalID: Mandatory  ProductToken: Optional  Description: Optional  Artists: Mandatory  Assets: Mandatory  SupportAssets: Mandatory  ObjectCompatibilities: Optional--&gt;<!ELEMENT Product (  StoreID,  GlobalID,  ProductToken?,  Description?,  Artists,  Assets,  SupportAssets,  ObjectCompatibilities? )><!ATTLIST Product VALUE CDATA #REQUIRED>&lt;!-- Element:  StoreID: A reference to the source of the product. Attributes:  VALUE: The (short?) name of the store. The value "DAZ 3D" is defined for  DAZ store. Other values could be:     Content Paradise   Poser Addicts 2   Renderosity   Runtime DNA   ShareCG   …--&gt;<!ELEMENT StoreID EMPTY><!ATTLIST StoreID VALUE CDATA #REQUIRED>&lt;!-- Element:  GlobalID: A reference number. Attributes:  VALUE: A (long) hexadecimal number, formatted as as series of hyphen  separated parts HHHHHHHH-HHHH-HHHH-HHHH-HHHHHHHHHHHH. Haven't a clue  where this comes from or how it's generated.--&gt;<!ELEMENT GlobalID EMPTY><!ATTLIST GlobalID VALUE CDATA #REQUIRED>&lt;!-- Element:  ProductToken: Store product identifier. Attributes:  VALUE: The SKU or similar store identifier for the product. Numeric at  DAZ, RMP and most other stores, but not guaranteed to be so at all  stores.--&gt;<!ELEMENT ProductToken EMPTY><!ATTLIST ProductToken VALUE CDATA #REQUIRED>&lt;!-- Element:  Artists: a list of artists producing the work. Contents:  Artist: Mandatory, List--&gt;<!ELEMENT Artists (Artist)+><!ATTLIST Artists>&lt;!-- Element:  Artist: A single artist name. Attributes:  VALUE: The name of an artist. By default DAZ uses the nicknames for the  artists, rather than their proper names. This has the problem that an  artist can use different names at different stores (e.g., Magix101 at  DAZ is HMann at RMP). Also, an artist can change their name at the same  store (e.g., Harvey Mann became Magix101)--&gt;<!ELEMENT Artist EMPTY><!ATTLIST Artist VALUE CDATA #REQUIRED>&lt;!-- Element:  Assets: A list of assets included in the product. Contents:  Asset: Mandatory, List--&gt;<!ELEMENT Assets (Asset)+><!ATTLIST Assets>&lt;!-- Element:  Asset: An object that can be used within DAZ Studio. This may be a  figure, an object, a morph, a texture, a light, a camera, … Attributes:  VALUE: The relative path from the folder containing the runtime folder  to the asset file. Common file extensions inlude:     .cm2 Camera   .cr2 Character   .daz   .ds   .dsa   .dse   .dsf   .hd2 Hand   .hr2 Hair   .lt2 Light   .mc6 Material   .pp2 Prop   .pz2 Pose     Where both a DAZ Studio and a Poser file exist for the asset, the path  to the D|S file should be used. Contents:  ContentType: Optional  Audience: Mandatory  Categories: Optional  Tags: Optional  Description: Optional  Compatibilities: Optional  CompatibilityBase: Optional--&gt;<!ELEMENT Asset (  ContentType?,  Audience,  Categories?,  Tags?,  Description?,  Compatibilities?,  CompatibilityBase? )><!ATTLIST Asset VALUE CDATA #REQUIRED>&lt;!-- Element:  ContentType: The type of asset.  Attributes:  VALUE: DAZ defined values are:   Actor   Camera   Follower/Accessory/Arm   Follower/Accessory/Arm/Left/Hand   Follower/Accessory/Arm/Right/Hand   Follower/Accessory/Arms   Follower/Accessory/Arms/Hands   Follower/Accessory/Arms/Lower   Follower/Accessory/Arms/Upper   Follower/Accessory/Arms/Wrist   Follower/Accessory/Head   Follower/Accessory/Head/Ear/Left   Follower/Accessory/Head/Ear/Right   Follower/Accessory/Head/Ears   Follower/Accessory/Head/Eyes   Follower/Accessory/Legs/Feet   Follower/Accessory/Legs/Lower   Follower/Accessory/Legs/Upper   Follower/Accessory/Neck   Follower/Accessory/Torso   Follower/Accessory/Waist   Follower/Attachment/Head/Face   Follower/Attachment/Head/Skull   Follower/Attachment/Lower-Body/Legs/Lower   Follower/Attachment/Lower-Body/Legs/Upper   Follower/Attachment/Upper-Body/Arm/Left/Hand   Follower/Attachment/Upper-Body/Arm/Left/Lower   Follower/Attachment/Upper-Body/Arm/Right/Hand   Follower/Attachment/Upper-Body/Arms   Follower/Attachment/Upper-Body/Arms/Upper   Follower/Attachment/Upper-Body/Torso/Front   Follower/Hair   Follower/Wardrobe/Dress   Follower/Wardrobe/Full-Body   Follower/Wardrobe/Glove/Left   Follower/Wardrobe/Glove/Right   Follower/Wardrobe/Gloves   Follower/Wardrobe/Outerwear/Bottom   Follower/Wardrobe/Outerwear/Top   Follower/Wardrobe/Pant   Follower/Wardrobe/Shirt   Follower/Wardrobe/Shoe   Follower/Wardrobe/Shoes   Follower/Wardrobe/Socks   Follower/Wardrobe/Underwear/Bottom   Light   Preset/Camera   Preset/Camera/Position   Preset/Character   Preset/Light   Preset/Materials   Preset/Morph/Apply   Preset/Morph/Injection   Preset/Morph/Injection/Body   Preset/Morph/Remove   Preset/Morph/Remove/Body   Preset/Pose   Preset/Pose/Hand   Preset/Property-Link/Injection   Preset/Shader   Preset/Visibility   Prop   Prop/Arm/Left/Hand   Prop/Arm/Right/Hand   Prop/Arms/Hands   Prop/Hair   Prop/Head/Ear/Left   Prop/Head/Ear/Right   Prop/Waist   Scene   Set--&gt;<!ELEMENT ContentType EMPTY><!ATTLIST ContentType VALUE CDATA #REQUIRED>&lt;!-- Element:  Audience: The audience at which the asset is aimed. Attributes:  VALUE: DAZ defined values, with approximate cinema rating equivalences,  are:   Children: G, PG (US); U, PG (UK); G, PG (AU)   Teens: PG-13 (US); 12A, 12 (UK); M (AU)   Adults: R (US); 15, 18 (UK); MA 15+, R 18+ (AU)     The problem is that DAZ have defined "Adults" at something between an MA  and R rating, which means there is no way to distinguish between those  products and ones of a truly adult nature (roughly equating to NC-17  (US), R18 (UK), X18+ (AU) films).--&gt;<!ELEMENT Audience EMPTY><!ATTLIST Audience VALUE NMTOKEN #REQUIRED>&lt;!-- Element:  Categories: A list of categories into which the asset falls. Contents:  Category: Mandatory, List--&gt;<!ELEMENT Categories (Category)+><!ATTLIST Categories>&lt;!-- Element:  Category: An asset category. Attributes:  VALUE: The name of the category into which the asset falls. Examples of  values used by DAZ include the following:   /Default/Accessories   /Default/Accessories/Arms   /Default/Accessories/Arms/Hands   /Default/Accessories/Arms/Lower   /Default/Accessories/Arms/Upper   /Default/Accessories/Arms/Wrist   /Default/Accessories/Head   /Default/Accessories/Head/Ears   /Default/Accessories/Head/Eyes   /Default/Accessories/Head/Mouth   /Default/Accessories/Legs/Feet   /Default/Accessories/Legs/Knees   /Default/Accessories/Legs/Lower   /Default/Accessories/Legs/Upper   /Default/Accessories/Neck   /Default/Accessories/Torso   /Default/Accessories/Waist   /Default/Animals/Fantasy-SciFi   /Default/Animals/Fantasy-SciFi/Land   /Default/Animals/Real-World/Land   /Default/Creatures/Stylized/Land   /Default/Hair/Static   /Default/Presets   /Default/Presets/Cameras/Positions   /Default/Presets/Characters   /Default/Presets/Lights   /Default/Presets/Materials   /Default/Presets/Morphs/Injection/Body   /Default/Presets/Morphs/Removal/Body   /Default/Presets/Poses   /Default/Presets/Poses/Full Body   /Default/Presets/Poses/Hands   /Default/Props   /Default/Props/Architecture   /Default/Props/Furniture   /Default/Props/General   /Default/Props/Handheld   /Default/Props/Handheld/Left   /Default/Props/Handheld/Right   /Default/Props/Landscapes   /Default/Props/Vehicles   /Default/Props/Vehicles/Air   /Default/Props/Weapons   /Default/Scenes   /Default/Sets/Architecture   /Default/Sets/Architecture/Exteriors   /Default/Sets/Architecture/Interiors   /Default/Sets/Landscapes   /Default/Themes/Fairytale Collection   /Default/Wardrobe   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses   /Default/Wardrobe/Gloves   /Default/Wardrobe/Outerwear/Bottoms   /Default/Wardrobe/Outerwear/Tops   /Default/Wardrobe/Pants   /Default/Wardrobe/Shirts   /Default/Wardrobe/Shoes   /Default/Wardrobe/Skirt   /Default/Wardrobe/Socks   /Default/Wardrobe/Underwear/Bottoms   /Themes   /Themes/Carnival   /Themes/FairyTale Collection   /Themes/Fairytales collection   /Themes/Regency  There is a noticable inconsistency already within the DAZ defined  values, e.g., the following appear to be equivalent:     /Default/Props/Architecture   /Default/Sets/Architecture     There is also a noticable inconsistency within the DAZ metadata as to  whether the product name is part of the category:     /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/All That Jazz for V4   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Bunny Dazed Unimesh Fits   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Bunny Dazed   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Defiant for Genesis   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Everyday 1930 for V4   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Everyday 1930 V4 Unimesh Fits   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Expansion Pack for SP MFD   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Fortune Teller 1930 for V4   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Fortune Teller 1930 V4 Unimesh Fits   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Girl Morphing Fantasy Dress   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Hooded Cloak for the Girl   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/MFD for Genesis Expansion Pack 1   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/MFD for Genesis Expansion Pack 2   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/MFD for Genesis Wonderland Expansion   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Morphing Fantasy Dress for Genesis   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Morphing Fantasy Dress for Laura   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Morphing Fantasy Dress for Stephanie Petite   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Morphing Fantasy Dress Unimesh Fits   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Onyx for Genesis Female   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Performer for V4   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Performer V4 Unimesh Fits   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Pharaohs of the Sun for Genesis Female   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Regency Girl for Kids 4   /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/Wizard Robe for V3     but /Default/Wardrobe/Dresses/ is used by:     Fantasy Wrap for Genesis,   Marie Louise 18th Century Gown,   Moonlight Mage,   Morphing Fantasy Dress for Genesis,   Regency Girl for Kids 4, and   SteamPunk Xandra for Genesis.--&gt;<!ELEMENT Category EMPTY><!ATTLIST Category VALUE CDATA #REQUIRED>&lt;!-- Element:  Tags: A list of search tags for a asset. Contents:  Tag: Mandatory, List--&gt;<!ELEMENT Tags (Tag)+><!ATTLIST Tags>&lt;!-- Element:  Tag: A tag value for searching. Attributes:  VALUE: Tags can represent anything that could usefully be searched. Some  examples include:     Specific items of clothing:       boots    corset    dress    gown    hood    robe    skirt    slippers    tunic      Specific artists:    blondie9999    Bobbie25    Dreamlight    Stonemason      Types of hair:       braids    curls    updo      Themes:       African    Arabian    Egyptian    fantasy    gypsy    Indian    Japanese    medieval    Morrocan    Native American    regency    renaissance    wonderland   The value of the tags is compromised by inconsistencies in the tags,   e.g.:       Sci Fi    Sci-Fi    Science Fiction    scifi--&gt;<!ELEMENT Tag EMPTY><!ATTLIST Tag VALUE CDATA #REQUIRED>&lt;!-- Element:  Description: A text description of an asset or product. Contents:  Character data (surrounde by &lt;![CDATA[ and ]]>.    In the very rare cases where a product description is entered by DAZ  (one in a sampling of 160 products), it contains the descriptive text  from the product page.     &lt;![CDATA[This fantasy reptile is a meat eater, designed for use with   Poser and DAZ Studio. It's a small dinosaur-type creature designed   for powerful jumping attacks. It is fully posable, with a moving   jaw, tail, and fully articulated limbs. Options exist to shape the   body spines and head features, so you can give your Jumperia its own   unique look.]]>    In the rare cases where an asset description is entered by DAZ (eight in  the sampling of 160 products), it contains a list of the artists and the  product name.     &lt;![CDATA[Bobbie25, 3D Universe, Future Cop for Genesis]]>   &lt;![CDATA[Fisty, Jeweled Finery]]>   &lt;![CDATA[Ken Gilliland, The Hanging Gardens of Nimrud]]>   &lt;![CDATA[Lourdes, Bobbie25, Marauders]]>   &lt;![CDATA[Valandar, Cryo Chambers]]>   &lt;![CDATA[Valandar, Medical Tools]]>   &lt;![CDATA[Valandar, Retro and Junkyard JetPacks]]>   &lt;![CDATA[Valandar, Superhero Training Gear]]>--&gt;<!ELEMENT Description (#PCDATA)><!ATTLIST Description>&lt;!-- Element:  Compatibilities: A list of assets with which this asset may be used. To  use Crigit’s terminology, this is the list of horses for which this  asset is a saddle. Contents:  Compatability: Mandatory, List.--&gt;<!ELEMENT Compatibilities (Compatibility)+><!ATTLIST Compatibilities>&lt;!-- Element:  Compatibility: An asset with which this asset may be used. Attributes:  VALUE: An asset. Values are taken from the set of CompatibilityBase  values defined either in this, or some other, metadata file, or  implicitly defined with DAZ Studio 4+.    Common usages are the various figures:     /Generation2/Millennium Girls 2   /Generation3   /Generation3/Aiko 3   /Generation3/Michael 3   /Generation3/Preschoolers 3   /Generation3/Stephanie Petite 3   /Generation3/The Girl 3   /Generation3/Victoria 3   /Generation3/Young Teens 3   /Generation4   /Generation4/Michael 4   /Generation4/Michael 4#Hiro   /Generation4/Michael 4#The Freak   /Generation4/The Kids 4   /Generation4/Victoria 4   /Generation4/Victoria 4#Aiko   /Generation4/Victoria 4#Stephanie   /Generation4/Victoria 4#The Girl   /Genesis   /Genesis#Victoria 5--&gt;<!ELEMENT Compatibility EMPTY><!ATTLIST Compatibility VALUE CDATA #REQUIRED>&lt;!-- Element:  CompatibilityBase: Defines an asset as able to use compatible assets. In  Crigit’s terminology, this defines the asset as being a horse that can  use saddle assets. Attributes:  VALUE: A label that the asset may be referenced with.    Potential uses are the various parts of clothing sets:     /Performer for V4/BodySuit   /Performer for V4/Headband   /Performer for V4/LPlume   /Performer for V4/Pearls   /Performer for V4/Rplume   /Performer for V4/Stockings   /Performer for V4/Tutu  and the various objects within a set of props:     /Janitor Gear/Broomstick   /Janitor Gear/Bucket   /Janitor Gear/Dustpan   /Janitor Gear/Kitchenbroom   /Janitor Gear/Pushbroom   /Janitor Gear/Scrubbrush   /Janitor Gear/Spongemop--&gt;<!ELEMENT CompatibilityBase EMPTY><!ATTLIST CompatibilityBase VALUE CDATA #REQUIRED>&lt;!-- Element:  SupportAssets: Assets that support the funtioning of the product. Attributes:  VALUE: The relative path to the .dsx file containing the metadata for  the product. Contents:  SupportAsset: Optional, List--&gt;<!ELEMENT SupportAssets (SupportAsset)*><!ATTLIST SupportAssets VALUE CDATA #REQUIRED>&lt;!-- Element:  SupportAsset: A single asset to support use of the product. Attributes:  VALUE: Relative part to the support file.   I believe the intention is that any file not listed as an asset should be listed here, however in many cases it appears that all files are listed as support assets.--&gt;<!ELEMENT SupportAsset EMPTY><!ATTLIST SupportAsset VALUE CDATA #REQUIRED>&lt;!-- Element:  ObjectCompatibilities: Mappings from the object files to the compatibilities. Contents:  SupportAsset: Mandatory, List--&gt;<!ELEMENT ObjectCompatibilities (ObjectCompatibility)+><!ATTLIST ObjectCompatibilities>&lt;!-- Element:  ObjectCompatibility: A mapping from an .obj file or .dsf file to a  compatibility (a horse). Attributes:  VALUE: The .obj or .dsf file. There are two formats, one for each type  of file.    For .obj files, the format consists of the file name, without the  extension, with the number of verticies appended, and with spaces turned  into underscores.    For .dsf files, the format consists of the relative path to the file,  and the entry point within the file.  REF: The object compatibility, as discussed above.    Examples:     #TE-Rock1_1308" REF="/Tropical Elements/Rock   #TE-Rock2_1022" REF="/Tropical Elements/Rock   #TE-Rock3_1023" REF="/Tropical Elements/Rock   #TE-Rock4_1023" REF="/Tropical Elements/Rock   #TE-Rock5_1023" REF="/Tropical Elements/Rock   #TE-Rock6_1008" REF="/Tropical Elements/Rock   #TE-Rock7_1007" REF="/Tropical Elements/Rock   /data/Faveral/Opus Magnum/Herbs1/OM-Herbs1_523.dsf#OM-Herbs1_523" REF="/Opus Magnum/Herbs1   /data/Faveral/Opus Magnum/Herbs2/OM-Herbs2_523.dsf#OM-Herbs2_523" REF="/Opus Magnum/Herbs2   /data/Faveral/Opus Magnum/Herbs3/OM-Herbs3_523.dsf#OM-Herbs3_523" REF="/Opus Magnum/Herbs3   /data/Faveral/Opus Magnum/Herbs4/OM-Herbs4_523.dsf#OM-Herbs4_523" REF="/Opus Magnum/Herbs4   /data/Faveral/Opus Magnum/Herbs5/OM-Herbs5_523.dsf#OM-Herbs5_523" REF="/Opus Magnum/Herbs5   /data/Faveral/Opus Magnum/Herbs6/OM-Herbs6_523.dsf#OM-Herbs6_523" REF="/Opus Magnum/Herbs6   /data/Faveral/Opus Magnum/Herbs7/OM-Herbs7_523.dsf#OM-Herbs7_523" REF="/Opus Magnum/Herbs7   /data/Faveral/Opus Magnum/Herbs8/OM-Herbs8_523.dsf#OM-Herbs8_523" REF="/Opus Magnum/Herbs8    Note that multiple object files can refer to a single compatibilty.--&gt;<!ELEMENT ObjectCompatibility EMPTY><!ATTLIST ObjectCompatibility REF CDATA #REQUIRED VALUE CDATA #REQUIRED>
  • HaslorHaslor Posts: 402
    edited December 1969

Aelfric said:
    If anyone (other than me) is interested, attached is a DTD for the metadata XML files (sorry it’s embedded in code tags, but the forum software won’t attach the file). I was derived from some 160 DAZ supplied metadata files, so should be correct given the large sample size. Reasonably well commented.

The only real question I have now is exactly what is a GlobalID, and how do I generate one.

Yes I am interested in the DTD of the Metadata, if for no other reason then to use it to show some Blaring mistakes.
    Like themes, why is there a Themes both inside and outside of the Default folder.

A GlobalID is Unique Identifier generated when you enter the DB editor for a Product. (It is like the GUID for your Windows or MAC OS)
    I don't know of a way you could generate one unless that API is exposed.

I do know of a script to automate the creation of the Scene ID's.
    From what I understand it basically load up a scene with the only the Geometry for a single Product, you start the script, it asks you the name of the Product, and then it creates the Product and the Scene ID in the Compatibility Base. That is handed because it is a time consuming and very repetitive step.

It has been my experience, if you do the Scene ID step first you don't have to leaving DB Editor, once you reach that step.
    The reason is very simple, you are created the object you are going to associate to in the property in the Editor.

I have not heard of a script to do the Content DB Editor part. I would think this would be difficult, there are too many choices to be made.
    Also in 4.5 the Scene ID editor is a little more extensive, and you pick a type here, but when I went into the Content DB Editor, the Type for the items on was not set.

--

I have also noted a lot on inconstancies in the metadata, and most of them derive from the fact DAZ3D didn't have good documentation before enacting MetaData. They didn't seem to tell anyone what the various parts were used for or set a standard for where things should be placed.

One of these mysterious piece is Type; because it looks like a rehashed version of Category, but it isn't.
    At one time I thought Type was the Left hand column in the Smart Content window, because types do show up there and the Category was in the upper box. But I've since learned Type is use what you are placing an item. If you have ever seen the Dialogue box come up warning you about placing two of the same type of items, that is the Metadata Type at work. This the reason you want to take those out as far as you can and and just stop a Wardrobe.

For some reason in Types, a Prop is something you can hold or attach to a person.
    I thought the Couch in the corner was a Prop, or is that a Set Dressing. Wait that is missing from the Types too.
    But regardless everything should get a type.

I've been correcting some of the blaring issue with some of the Metadata: Like "Regency Girl for Kids 4" was splashed all over the place; Bewitching for Genesis didn't have its Token Set and never had Scene ID made (seeing they just updated that one I'm amazed it wasn't fixed) BTW that one is on it way); and others like that.

I Hope that helps

Haslor

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

There was one product which accidentally put a Theme category outside of Default -- it has since been updated.

edited August 2012

There was one product which accidentally put a Theme category outside of Default -- it has since been updated.

Only ONE, fixmypcmike? Hate to burst your bubble but there are actually several and I haven't seen updates to fix them.
    /Themes/ and at least three Subfolders
    Regency Girl for Kids 4

Themes/Carnival/
    Carousel Swing Ride
    Carnival Ride Poses
    Equilibrium

Then let's add Hampton Hair into, this with it's three additional folders; DAZ 3D, Hampton, and 3DCelebrity; and only put Black and Light Brown hair colors in them.

The following are spread all over the Themes folder and are proof the one must be careful when making Metadata files to check everything before you hit accept.
    /Themes/FairyTale Collection
    Fantasy Castle 2011-Castle Surround - (Real name is Fantasy Castle 2011 - Castle Surround)
    Fantasy Castle 2011 - Castle Keep 2

/Themes/Fairytales collection
    Fantasy Castle 20011-Castle Keep - (it is suppose to be Fantasy Castle 2011 - Castle Keep but some one added an extra Zero)
    Fantasy Castle 2011 - Glimmering Tales
    Fantasy Castle 2011 Castle Keep 2 Summer Tales - (Real name is Castle Keep 2 - Summer Tales)
    Castle Keep 2 Glimmering Tales - (Real name is Castle Keep 2 - Glimmering Tales; but for consistence it should be called "Fantasy Castle 2011 - Castle Keep 2 - Glimmering Tales" added. )

Out of the Fantasy Castle 2011 - Series only "Fantasy Castle 2011 - Summer Tales" is actually in the /Default/Scenes/ in a folder for itself.

Just to point out a few other things about these: Why are the Steps and Flag set as Actor, instead of Props or Sets. Why aren't some of the texture's Categories, Compatibility, or Types Set. Or why is a Scene Preload set to be compatible with the Keep? (Look for yourself in Fantasy Castle 2011 - Castle Keep 2)

Let's face the fact, the Metadata for some products is a just mess up, due to no clear standard or documentation when it started and people either build it incorrectly, only halfway, or worse declared everything to figure.
    Analeigh for V4/S4 and Genesis, everything is Declared as Victoria 4.2, but the product is for Victoria4 and Genesis. I found this while Building my own Victoria 4.2Metadata.
    "Everyday 1930", only come up for V4 because of a single posed for the Shoe, the Geometries weren't set to be compatible to anything.
    The each of the Staffs in Mystical Touch is in the Compatibility Base as a Root, and even though the standard is for Products to be Roots and Assets to be Sub-Roots.
    This list could go on for another Twenty lines without much searching on my part.
    (BTW: All Metdata errors I find are forwarded to the Metadata Team, and sometimes with corrected Metadata Files.)
    Yes, there is a Metadata Team at DAZ3D.

I think I said this before in the Old Forums, but If you are going to tell people to use "Smart Content" then the Metadata behind the Smart Content has to be Consistent and Accurate, so you are not trying to apply a Geometry as a texture or a Scene Preload as a Texture to a Keep. If the Metadata is Consistent and Accurate, the only time you will need to go to the Content Library is to build new Metadata.

By the way, could you please thank whoever thought up the idea of placing a visual tag on the Thumbnails, Based on the TYPE set in the Metadata. It is a nice double check you have Typed everything correct.
    Two simple Rules: Everything should have a TYPE! Nothing needs to be in more than ONE Base category and one Theme category. You should follow these, especially if you are building Metadata for distribution.

What is needed is a Document about how things should be Categorized and Typed.
    I know cridgit has been working on this and has several papers on how to Build and Distribute Metadata.
    I've been working on the problem and I have a rather extensive paper, which goes into how Metadata work inside DAZ Studio to make the "Smart Content" Smart, then it takes you through a quick and simple way to create Metadata, that should be consistent with any Metadata coming from DAZ3D. I have not release this due to an email conversation with the Metadata Team, in February of 2012, and my desire to have everyone on working in them same direction and using the same method.

I will say: in February I was asked for my opinion on a document and I sent back only one or two comments, and that is about all I can say about it. I had hopped that document would have been released by now, especially with 4.5 being released.

Due to the minor changes in the 4.5 interface, I will be updating my document and I hope cridgit is doing the same.

Haslor

Post edited by Haslor on
    edited December 1969

Aelfric said:
    I’m looking for the file specification for the DAZ Studio metadata files, but haven’t been able to locate it anywhere. Has the file spec been published, or will I need to reverse engineer the it from examples?

I have gazillions of products from third party (non-DAZ) sources, and I’m looking at a way of quickly creating at least some basic metadata for these products.

Thanks.

The one thing I have done is create a Base Folder, like Default (which should actually be called DAZ3D), for each publishing house, Rendo, RDNA, PoserAddicts, CGShare, and the like.
    I actually have the different houses in different content library folders, so there is no accidentally over writing something. It also makes it easy to know you are about to use a Freebie from someone rather than a Product you purchased. And as we all know, not all EULA's are written for the same level of usage.

I would be very interested helping you define a standard for such things.
    What is the difference between an Accessory and an Attachment.
    Why is that Couch a Set Dressing while the Lamp is a Prop.

The Model I used for my Metadata explanation, Studio as a Movie or Photo Studio. Then follow on is that the Content Library become the Property Department and each item in the Property department has and ID (the Scene ID); and the Model/Actors walk on and do their part, after the Set is built and the Props are set. It is a very good model and DAZ Studio does support that concept, especially now with they're calling the Figures Actors, and there a Set, Props, etc....

Haslor

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Ladies and Gentlemen......

We have a standard. :) I'd like to get with those of you who are working on Metadata and get the documents to you as well as cover what we have done, why. :)

Please PM me with your email/Skype so I can get with you on what we've set up. I'd LOVE for all of us to be on the same page.

(P.S. - We love the Type tags on the icons too! )

Kat

edited December 1969

Ladies and Gentlemen......

We have a standard. :) I'd like to get with those of you who are working on Metadata and get the documents to you as well as cover what we have done, why. :)

Please PM me with your email/Skype so I can get with you on what we've set up. I'd LOVE for all of us to be on the same page.

(P.S. - We love the Type tags on the icons too! )

Kat

Thank you, Kat, and I mean all of the members of the Metadata Team.

Haslor

• rjlrjl Posts: 3

Hi Folks,

I realize I'm waking up a 10-year-old thread, but I'd very much like to find a copy of the current metadata spec if it's circulating out there somewhere :) I've downloaded the SDK and can't find any reference docs about it in there either.  Are you still around, Kat? :)