How to import show 2d photo images? which is best PSD PNG?

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I use to be able to import and show 2d photo images as objects/planes in DS version 3+ .... now I do not ... any suggestions? and to have the transparency of the PNG or PSD file not showing in DAZ, just the figure/image ...

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

How are you trying to load them.

You can still apply a 2D image to a Plane Primitive, in exactly the same way as in DS3, use the Duffuse channel in the Surfaces pane.

You can also use Edit > Backdrop.to import an image which is displayed in the background. DAZ Studio does not open PSD files, and if you don't want a transparent background, then don't use PNG, convert it to JPG.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio could never handle PSD files AFAIK. If you make a mask of the image (black & white image) and put that into the opacity channel; it should work fine.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

PNG format has an automatic alpha, is basically lossless and is the format I always use in Bryce. so should work in a similar manner in DS.

• edited December 1969

How are you trying to load them.

You can still apply a 2D image to a Plane Primitive, in exactly the same way as in DS3, use the Duffuse channel in the Surfaces pane.

You can also use Edit > Backdrop.to import an image which is displayed in the background. DAZ Studio does not open PSD files, and if you don't want a transparent background, then don't use PNG, convert it to JPG.

Sounds familiar ... I'll give it a go ... thanks ...

• edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    DAZ Studio could never handle PSD files AFAIK. If you make a mask of the image (black & white image) and put that into the opacity channel; it should work fine.

uh huh, hmm ... masks"? ... hmm ... anyway, I am sure you know how that is done ;) ...thanks ... ;)

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    PNG format has an automatic alpha, is basically lossless and is the format I always use in Bryce. so should work in a similar manner in DS.

yep, I get that, in Bryce... handy little import widget thingo ... in DS ... load into a primitive plane, by the sounds of it ;) thanks

• edited December 1969

You're right. Was just looking to pull in a backdrop, and it's not in version 4.7 or higher anymore...why is it missing, I wonder?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You're right. Was just looking to pull in a backdrop, and it's not in version 4.7 or higher anymore...why is it missing, I wonder?

It has been moved since 4.7.

Go to Window > Panes (Tabs) > Environment and load it from that pane now.
  • edited December 1969

I'm just curious why someone would make it so impossible to find, after the fact...? Engineers, right? LOL!

• bsettbsett Posts: 74
    edited December 1969

Along these lines if I have a beach photo that I wish to use for my backdrop is there anyway to add an image plane for the sand (ground layer) that would only be used for showing shadows and allow the background to still show through?

I other words the plane is a transparent object but still shows shadows?

• edited December 1969

I've done some work in film, just finished it this year, and premiered it in April. I did a couple of shots where I would animate something in 3D inside DAZ Studio, and then export it. How I got the shadows to be there was, I'd set up a ground plane, make it green, like a green screened floor, then light the subject, check the shadow for sharpness, of diffusion, then do the animation with nothing behind it, and export. Once exported, I'd bring it into Hitfilm 3 Pro and remove the green screen, and tweak the parameters to look right, and bam, character, with shadow showing, walking in a scene. If you were doing a still image, it might work to set up your backdrop image, then position your floor plane to match the shot, and then once you have your character in the shot where you want it, remove everything else, create the ground floor as a green screen plane, and just key out the green later, and composite both images together after the fact.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

bsett said:
    Along these lines if I have a beach photo that I wish to use for my backdrop is there anyway to add an image plane for the sand (ground layer) that would only be used for showing shadows and allow the background to still show through?

I other words the plane is a transparent object but still shows shadows?

Yes, Iray calls them 'matte objects'.

I have no idea how to set an object to that status in DAZ Studio. :-)

-- Morgan

• bsettbsett Posts: 74
    edited December 1969

I've done some work in film, just finished it this year, and premiered it in April. I did a couple of shots where I would animate something in 3D inside DAZ Studio, and then export it. How I got the shadows to be there was, I'd set up a ground plane, make it green, like a green screened floor, then light the subject, check the shadow for sharpness, of diffusion, then do the animation with nothing behind it, and export. Once exported, I'd bring it into Hitfilm 3 Pro and remove the green screen, and tweak the parameters to look right, and bam, character, with shadow showing, walking in a scene. If you were doing a still image, it might work to set up your backdrop image, then position your floor plane to match the shot, and then once you have your character in the shot where you want it, remove everything else, create the ground floor as a green screen plane, and just key out the green later, and composite both images together after the fact.

Thanks for the reply and tips. The an extra render on a green ground plane just for the shadows should work nicely on single still images and would be easy to layer and work with in photoshop.

I've noticed that iray will cast shadows on an invisible ground plane when using the sun dial light. I've played a little bit with it but am still figuring out how to set the tone mapping exposure and adjust the shadow intensity properly. But it all looks doable just need more practice.