New installation error message

MarcuseMarcuse Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm still having endless problems trying to get my purchases installed into the right files and in the end decided to lose the lot and re-install a new DS only to have this go wrong too as per the pic below....! It is so hard and frustrating having spent all this money to be back almost where I started after 2 months especially as I'm more or less ok with all the scene and Victoria 4 stuff. The big big problem is trying to find any up to date written or video information about this filing process successfully without having to keep asking on here where there's always a risk of misunderstanding....

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I don't know why the installer is looking in the Resources folder. My uninstallers are located in C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Uninstallers.

You could look for that folder, and run the uninstaller yourself before trying to re-install DS4.

Are you running Windows XP?

There really should not be any problem installing content. EVERYTHING is installed to the My Library folder in Documents. The path is

C:\Users\\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library.

The DAZ Studio content will go into the correct folders inside My Library, and the Poser format installers will install to the Runtime folder that is inside the My Library folder. In ALL cases, the path should end with My Library, and not any folder below it.

• MarcuseMarcuse Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

Deleted

Post edited by Marcuse on
    edited August 2012

Thanks removed the old resources file ok but no idea what to do next....? Yes Windows XP 32 bit.

Installation_error_1.JPG
    789 x 486 - 64K
    Post edited by Marcuse on
    edited December 1969

Do you have a folder called Uninstallers in the DAZStudio4 folder, if so, you should run these files to remove the old installation first? If there is an uninstaller file in the old Resources folder, you should run it instead.

You will have to edit the path for both the program AND the content directories if the installer still comes up with the Resources folder, but uninstalling the previous version should fix that.. I don't know why it is coming up with the Resources folder as the install path, but that is wrong.

edited December 1969

Do you have a folder called Uninstallers in the DAZStudio4 folder, if so, you should run these files to remove the old installation first? If there is an uninstaller file in the old Resources folder, you should run it instead.

You will have to edit the path for both the program AND the content directories if the installer still comes up with the Resources folder, but uninstalling the previous version should fix that.. I don't know why it is coming up with the Resources folder as the install path, but that is wrong.

Really out of my depth in all this. Whilst everything's gone (I hope !) in the original installation including the installers, unfortunately I've no idea what to enter in after C:\ in the destination and content directory, nor what User and Your Username is referring to.

edited December 1969

Since you are using Win XP, you can install everything to the Program Files folder for now. Just remove everything after 'DAZ 3D' in the installation path.

I have no idea how it all got in such a mess. The place to install content for Windows 7 or Vista is in the Documents area, but Program Files is not a protected area under Win XP, so it will be OK for now.

edited December 1969

Hi thanks for the last info but been away for a few days. Still no luck yet I'm afraid but at least I have a clearer idea of what seems to be going wrong.

After 2 or 3 more install and uninstalls of Studio 4 pro when the same error message kept on and on re-appearing I finally removed all Daz files completely from my computer last night. I downloaded a new file again about half an hour ago but when asked which files to put them into I first wrote down what files were being suggested. I didn't click on the Content Management box as advised so that it would remain automatic. Then in the top box it said C\Program and then I think Owner, and in the bottom box C\ Documents and Settings\ Daz 3D....etc. I then altered the top box to match the bottom and it had nearly finished when up came the error message again ! I had taken a screen pic but as nothing was responding I had to switch off at the mains plug so lost the pic unfortunately.

Or to put it another way not once have I ever seen your - C:\Users\\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library - appear anywhere so something's seriously wrong somewhere I think.

So what happens next ? I'm running Windows XP Home edition 32 bit....

Thanks

edited December 1969

The path that I gave you to C:\Users\\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library, is for Win 7, and not XP.

In windows XP, applications (Programs) are stored in the Program Files folder, that should be the path in your top box. The Content can be stored anywhere in XP, but it is a good idea to put it into the Documents and Settings folder as the installer suggested. The program should also work from there without a problem as far as I know, although it should be put into Program Files normally.

What was the error message that you got?

Can you try to reinstall using the information I have given you. Put the program into Program Files (top box), and the content into Documents and Settings, (bottom box.)

edited December 1969

Well I've no idea why it worked as I'd changed nothing from the previous failed settings but it's the first time I've seen these 2 destinations in the box....

The only thing I can think of for it all is that running a full Search for the words Daz 3D to remove any odd files I didn't know existed did reveal some strange places for them, and even then I had to reboot everything to discover that the 2 that just wouldn't disappear whatsoever did after the re-boot !

Thanks for all your help !!

Correct_installation_possibly.JPG
    658 x 414 - 49K