Importing Daz Content Into Maya

BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there was a way to import Daz content into Maya, and if so what functionality can I retain?

For instance, would I be able to retain bones for posing? What about textures? I know the shaders Maya uses are very different but a texture is a bitmap, so I don't know if I can simply move it across and have Maya know where to get the textures from without messing about too much.

I doubt very much that I'll be able to keep morph dials, I would assume Maya uses a very different system for that, but again I don't know that for sure.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.
Barry

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there was a way to import Daz content into Maya, and if so what functionality can I retain?

For instance, would I be able to retain bones for posing? What about textures? I know the shaders Maya uses are very different but a texture is a bitmap, so I don't know if I can simply move it across and have Maya know where to get the textures from without messing about too much.

I doubt very much that I'll be able to keep morph dials, I would assume Maya uses a very different system for that, but again I don't know that for sure.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.
    Barry

pain to do - did you buy Maya ?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822
    edited December 1969

nah, he has a work collegue who can license him to also use it, lucky blighter!
    ;-P pearls on a sow I say! %-P
    (no, not calling you a swine Barry :red: just such a shame when I could really have a lot of fun with that beast and make really attrociously sick YouTube videos! and you will prob just render sexy Vickies in pretty dresses!)
    yeah, Vicky is the sow!!!

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You can give studio's collada and/or FBX export a try. Import to maya and pray ;)

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

LOL... Me... Buy Maya... Not even if I had a really good job would I be able to afford such luxury. Truth is, I didn't even want Maya, I was just chatting to my friend who makes iPhone stuff, and I was talking to him about Sculptris, and he said something like "I don't use that, I use ZBrush and Maya... HEY I might be able to let you use some of my unused licenses, let me look into that" and a few days later he said it was perfectly legal to do so even though I don't work for his company. So I have ZBrush and Maya on my machines waiting for me to break them.

It was originally ZBrush that I was excited by, but to be honest I've looked and been blown away, and now I want to play with Maya. ZBrush is awesome but I want to make buildings at the moment, and I think ZBrush is the wrong tool.

But my friend wants me to learn to use these beasties and if I can get some decent results in a while (yeah, a while, not like a couple of weeks) he might be able to put some work my way.

As for what I want to do with Maya, well, I don't know. If it wasn't for the chance to work with it in the future, I'd have little use for it, but seriously, if I pass up on this opportunity I'd have to be completely Mentalray! See what I did there? Mentalray... yeah, I'll stop that now!

I'm trying to model in it, but there's obviously a lot more to Maya than just modelling, which is why I was thinking if I could take some things that I already know about into the software that I don't know about, maybe I can have some "Wow, that's cool" moments.

Frankly, I could pee my pants just at the thought that I've got this software, and this opportunity.

edited December 1969

Has he got any more to give away ?????

Have fun !

edited December 1969

bigh said:

Have fun !

You know, the sad thing is that he has got more unused licenses, but he's keeping them in unused state in case he takes on new staff. It does seem a shame to keep them under the table like that. He trusts me to relinquish mine if need be, but doesn't want to be in a situation where he has to upset people by taking back their license. I don't know whether he bought more than he needed just to get a discount or something, or whether he was planning ahead even then. Mind you, he did say that he had to downsize, so maybe he had more people using them.

As for fun, well, so far it's more a case of awe and frustration, because I know damn well this software is capable of wonders but I can't even get the most basic stuff done yet. It's like having an orchestra at your beck and call, but only knowing how to conduct Twinkle Twinkle Little Star!

edited December 1969

bigh said:

Have fun !

You know, the sad thing is that he has got more unused licenses, but he's keeping them in unused state in case he takes on new staff. It does seem a shame to keep them under the table like that. He trusts me to relinquish mine if need be, but doesn't want to be in a situation where he has to upset people by taking back their license. I don't know whether he bought more than he needed just to get a discount or something, or whether he was planning ahead even then. Mind you, he did say that he had to downsize, so maybe he had more people using them.

As for fun, well, so far it's more a case of awe and frustration, because I know damn well this software is capable of wonders but I can't even get the most basic stuff done yet. It's like having an orchestra at your beck and call, but only knowing how to conduct Twinkle Twinkle Little Star!

it will take about a month to do much of any thing in it .

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    bigh said:

Have fun !

it will take about a month to do much of any thing in it .

That's cool, I have time. And considering the amount of time I've actually spent in it, I think my modelling skills are pretty much steaming ahead. Though that's not really using Maya's features, the same features are more than likely available in Hexagon, which is currently free.

But every time I load it up, it's like I'm a beggar sat in a supercar! Loving it!

edited December 1969

ok - looking for a nice render by Sept. 1 now

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    ok - looking for a nice render by Sept. 1 now

*gulp*