Has anybody cracked the secret of even-width outlines in Shader Mixer yet?

TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I remember hearing whispers on the forums that the release candidate for Daz Studio 4.5 included a new feature that could potentially allow for even-width outlines, I believe it was something along the lines of support for scripted rendering within Shader Mixer.

I am just wondering if anybody has any more information about such a thing? Considering the limitations of edge-blend based outlines (especially with sharp objects like cubes and swords), I was hoping that such a thing would be possible to achieve.

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

I remember hearing whispers on the forums that the release candidate for Daz Studio 4.5 included a new feature that could potentially allow for even-width outlines, I believe it was something along the lines of support for scripted rendering within Shader Mixer.

I am just wondering if anybody has any more information about such a thing? Considering the limitations of edge-blend based outlines (especially with sharp objects like cubes and swords), I was hoping that such a thing would be possible to achieve.

I haven't installed the latest release candidate for DS yet...I would imagine many people are holding off until plug-ins are released or until they know for sure how stable it is. Sorry I can't help...

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited August 2012

Scripted renderer is not "within Shader Mixer", and I'm not sure if the two can play well together. Anyway, in the Render Settings, select Scripted 3Delight Engine instead of 3Delight and you will see a selection of scripts among which is Outline. I haven't managed to get anything out of it on Win 32 bits other than flat shaded and no outline renders. OTOH I don't know what I'm doing. In the example below I set all the widths to 10.6, Thresholds to both 0.5 and 0.01 (I'm showing just one render since both gave the same results) and colours to something bright and different from each other for all three components (Normal, Outline ID, etc.). The scene is just a grey Genesis in a dark green box and this is the result no matter what I do:

Actually in another render with V4, she comes out light blue and has an interesting effect on the eyelashes, but that's all the outline I can get out of it.

Genesis_Outline_Multicolore.png
    900 x 675 - 21K
    Post edited by ReDave on
  • TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

Well, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Unfortunately I can't get it to work either. =/