Noob Question: What Path do I need to set on the Install Manager

edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Now that I (finally) got myself Bryce 7, I'm trying to install some of the content I bought ages ago for Bryce 6 which still shows up on the Install Manager.
Problem is what do I need to set the install path to?
I tried just setting it to the ...\Bryce7 folder, but all the install attempts failed.
What folder do I need to set it to so that I can install the old content to it (content like "Majestic Mountains", "The Tombs of Vlad Castle" and a few others)

Comments

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

hi swit...i have had the same problem in the past, my solution was to manually download my content and install them again manually, to get them your self, click on "My Account" then click "View Order" next to the item you want to install, there should be 2 options there 1. to download manually, 2. to install using the download manager...... i hope this helps :)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,123
    edited August 2014

@switt - I recommend to not using the install manager (DIM) because it doesn't know where Bryce stuff belongs. It works fine for Studio. Download the zip and install manually by copying the files to their appropriate folders. This document describes where Bryce stuff belongs.http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf. Hope it helps.

Post edited by Horo on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

In DIM you need to make sure you're setting the path to the Bryce application in the Settings > Applications tab; the "Install Location" doesn't apply for applications like Bryce, Carrara, Photoshop, etc.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I also just do a manual install myself. However if you were to use DIM to install wherever it puts it, you would do this:
    In the Settings > Applications tab, click the '+' button in the bottom left corner, then in the window that pops up change the Name dropdown to Bryce, click the "..." button and browse to and select the folder CONTAINING Bryce.exe (which In Windows XP by default is "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Bryce7", but may be elsewhere for you) and click on OK.
    Note that you can't install Bryce itself via DIM, install that first, then do the above, THEN install your Bryce content.

• edited December 1969

@Tim & Horo :( I was trying to avoid that, because I have literally thousands of items of content. Finding the orders that contain Bryce stuff will be tedious (and that is putting it mildly) but I guess if this is the only way.

@fixmypcmike & Sean that's what I did (I think); I installed the program manually (i.e. over the download files in my account not the DIM) then I set that location it installed to (Program Files (86)/DAZ3D/Bryce7 as an application paths on the DIM ... and now I'm here because that didn't work LOL

Well thanks for the help everyone. I guess I'll start sifting through old orders and install the stuff manually after all

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I never use default locations for my program installations. I have all my programs away from my C drive and I make folders for each and then install to that folder.

So my Bryce 7 Location is D / Bryce / Bryce 7

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,123
    edited December 1969

@switt - I'm not surprised it didn't work. Like chohole, I have my Bryce not on C, in fact, no program at all if I can prevent it. C is reserved for the system. If you install your applications on another drive - or at the very least in a folder that is not the Program Files - you can also have several versions installed. I have Bryce from 4 to 7.1 each version and when beta testing I had another 10 beta versions installed. Same for Studio, I have 2.3, 3 and 4.6 installed.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@switt, you might want to look at the DIM filter field in the upper right corner. For example, you can type "bryce" into the field, and see only products with "Bryce" in the title. That doesn't mean you will get all of them of course, however this is a super-quick way to at least locate some of them. I don't recall if there's a way to identify Bryce products without Bryce in the name here instead.
    Also, in the "Ready to Download" tab you can click on the "Download Filters" field then temporarily uncheck everything except Bryce, to see only Bryce downloads, although of course they have to be not yet downloaded, so unless you want to delete and redownload everything that won't work, but if you ever need to start fresh, you could try it out at that point to identify the Bryce stuff separately first.

• edited December 1969

@switt, you might want to look at the DIM filter field in the upper right corner. For example, you can type "bryce" into the field, and see only products with "Bryce" in the title. That doesn't mean you will get all of them of course, however this is a super-quick way to at least locate some of them. I don't recall if there's a way to identify Bryce products without Bryce in the name here instead.
    Also, in the "Ready to Download" tab you can click on the "Download Filters" field then temporarily uncheck everything except Bryce, to see only Bryce downloads, although of course they have to be not yet downloaded, so unless you want to delete and redownload everything that won't work, but if you ever need to start fresh, you could try it out at that point to identify the Bryce stuff separately first.

I found it does go reasonably quickly if I look at the DIM at the items that were not installed and then look for them in the product list. It is still inconvenient (and since I also have a bunch of Carrara items,as well I still need to determine which is which). But at least this way it is only inconvenient not impossible LOL. I think by now I found most of my Bryce stuff again... and installing them manually shouldn't take too long now either.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.