Difficulty using M4 Dynamic Clothing with Genesis

UltrascorchUltrascorch Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Most clothing for M4 seems to automatically adjust itself to fit Genesis' shape. Unfortuantely now that I have *finally* gotten dynamic cloth to work again after what feels like years, (using 4.5), the dynamic clothing I had for M4 does not adjust to Genesis. The midsection of all shirts is twisted almost completely around, I assume because the rigging is different (torso has more bones on Genesis). I am wondering if the fact that the old M4 dynamic clothes having alternate selectable geometries is why it doesnt fit, or if there is more to it.

In any case, there are no equivalent dynamic items for Genesis even available, so I would love to be able to get the old shirts, which as far as shape go should fit fine over genesis, to work with the new figure. Is it possible to work around this non-transferability?

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

The rigging for the old figures doesn't work properly on Genesis. They work fine if you do an time line drape however. In collision setting select genesis then deselect everything from the hip down. With some body shapes you may want to adjust the figures scale so that it is similar to the old figures size.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited July 2012

It is doable but it takes a lot of fiddling with the scaling. The first thing to remember is NOT to have Genesis selected when you load in the cloth. Then once loaded select the cloth and "Fit To" genesis and then off again. Genesis should them appear next to the clothing item in the Dynamic Control Panel.

But I agree with Khory that animated drape might be the best option with first scaling Genesis down and back up toward to end of the animated drape, so it can grow into the clothing. :)

Post edited by Szark on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I mostly use the v4 clothes so the scaling has to come at the start and stay.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Since you are using DC in DS4, you may want to look at this as well - http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=3365292#3365292

• SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    edited December 1969

I haven't installed Studio 4.5 yet but I imagine it still works the same. Here's how we used to do it, plus my youtube tutorial. The trick is to fit it to Genesis and then Fit it to none. When you unfit it will stay recorded in the dynamic clothes panel and will let you do an animated drape Poser style. See steps here: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=174408&highlight;=

• kevincullkevincull Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I've walked through the linked tutorial, and I've been able to properly fit the dynamic clothes to the Genesis figure, but I'm still not sure about something. Is it possible to have the clothes move with the figure if I tweak a single-frame pose after the clothes are already on there? Because I can't get that to happen.

I've tried the old method of fitting the clothes to the figure and then to "none," and then colliding with just Genesis. I've tried the new method of using keyframe animation. The end result is that the clothes fit, but if I move the figure at all, the clothes don't move with it.

Since all the (limited) posts I've seen talk about things like animation and posing the figure before adding clothes, am I right in assuming that if I'm just doing a single frame (i.e. no animation)I have to get my pose down pat before adding the dynamic clothing?

• SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    edited December 1969

kevincull said:
    I've walked through the linked tutorial, and I've been able to properly fit the dynamic clothes to the Genesis figure, but I'm still not sure about something. Is it possible to have the clothes move with the figure if I tweak a single-frame pose after the clothes are already on there? Because I can't get that to happen.

I've tried the old method of fitting the clothes to the figure and then to "none," and then colliding with just Genesis. I've tried the new method of using keyframe animation. The end result is that the clothes fit, but if I move the figure at all, the clothes don't move with it.

Since all the (limited) posts I've seen talk about things like animation and posing the figure before adding clothes, am I right in assuming that if I'm just doing a single frame (i.e. no animation)I have to get my pose down pat before adding the dynamic clothing?

Like khory said above, the rigging needs to be the same. To be able to do what you want the number of bones in the clothes need to match the number of bones in Genesis. Since the bones in Genesis are not the same as in M4 & V4 (I think Genesis has an extra pelvis bone) and those clothes were designed for generation 4 then they cannot be posed with the figure that way.