question...aspect ratio of two different cameras

dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Can someone please tell me if they get the same results i do? i have two different cameras. if i change the aspect ratio of one camera the other camera changes to mimic the one i just changed. in essence i can not have two or more cameras with different aspect ratios in a scene. very annoying. i reported this but just curious if its just me. thank you. im using the beta .179 on a mac mini running 6.8.

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,839
    edited December 1969

Aspect ratio is a global setting for the whole scene

• Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,234
    edited July 2012

Your aspect ratio relates to your render size. Its not a camera setting.

Post edited by Design Anvil - Razor42 on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

As mentioned above, it's a global setting. There is a way around it, but it'll take a little work.

Go to the render room, set the scene's aspect for camera one, frame your shot. Go to the render room and change the aspect for camera two. Frame camera two's shot. Do not move camera one at all. Save your scene.

Go to the batch renderer and load your scene, change the aspect ratio to camera one's aspect. Make sure camera one is selected as the render camera.

Next, in the batch renderer, load your scene again. Change the aspect to camera two's aspect, select camera two as the render camera. You should now have your scene listed twice in the batch queue, each with different render settings. If you're saving to a named file, make sure you have different names for the two cameras you'll be rendering. Hit render, and you should be golden. I've done this before for multiple cameras in a scene. I haven't changed the aspect, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited July 2012

thanx evilproducer, that worked and thank you for the help! but its' still a pita. i find it much quicker to have a camera view a specific small area to spot render for precise positioning in the render room than use the x hot key to spot render in the assembly room. one aspect ratio is fine if your doing a animation but for print i need different views in one file, and wish the aspects were independent of each other, and only saw one production frame in the scene... the one i am viewing thru. thanx evilproducer this will work and save some time. i will go back to mantis and make this a request.
    Thank you Ascania and Castleworx for your response

i found a snag with your technique evilproducer, i can only render once in the batch que then have to go back and redo both aspects because im repositioning something. if its two independent cameras one to quickly spot render i only have to change the render camera in the render room and if i lke it i then save it. ah well you cant have everything. i will make this a feature request. thanx again for the suggestion

Post edited by dot_bat on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

My suggestion was meant for the "final" render. You would need two cameras. One framed for the first aspect, and the second framed for the second aspect.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

yes i realised that when going thru it. thanx

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

dot_bat said:
    i reported this but just curious if its just me. .

I'm not sure that there's anything to report...

Yeah, a case can be made that the software should be capable of any configuration, but if you step back a bit there's probably a reason why this particular configuration isn't a direct option.

If you consider how a professional team would use software like this, they are generally working on a particular project. And each scene is generally used for that particular project. And the product of that project is typically defined by someone other than the guy operating the software. The client needs a certain format for a TV spot, or the producer wants a certain format for digital projection, or whatever.

So from the perspective of the guy pushing software buttons, he generally doesn't want to be able to screw up his output settings. Can you imagine rendering a scene over a couple of days, then finding out you had the wrong aspect ratio for one of the cameras?

Yes, I know that this particular software isn't generally used by professional teams, but the concept is the same. The scene is generally used for a particular "project", and you generally don't want to mix aspect ratios for that project. And in the real world, when you have a set (such as a TV shoot with multiple cameras) they all have identical aspect ratios, and you can switch between them for the final output. The concept here is the same. Each camera is just a different view of the scene, and generally you don't want them to have different outputs.

So I'm curious, why do you want different aspect ratios for the different cameras?