problems with Go z since installing updated version of Zbrush 4 release 4

willstevenswillstevens Posts: 6
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I'm a bit disappointed to find that Go Z which worked fine with my earlier version of Zbrush and Daz pro 4 no longer seems to work with the latest Zbrush 4 release 4.. I've tried the obvious stuff like playing around in the preferences section of zbrush, reinstalling Go Z for Daz but to no avail and rooting around in c/users/public/piixologic/scripts also. If anyone else reading this has had a similar problem and can help I'd be really grateful
Many thanks!

Comments

• edited July 2012

I'm having the same problem - Daz seems to freeze when transferring back from Zbrush - but I left it running and came back quite a bit later - and the transfer was complete - however the Genesis figure (now back in Daz) could not be animated!!
    Am I right in thinking that the figure should still be rigged for animation on it's return to Daz? This would be a dream come true if it worked!!

Post edited by bluebuxton_95f55ef927 on
  • willstevenswillstevens Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

I can't even get that far. It just says error opening file. Total bummer! :( It worked a treat before though!

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

That's what happens when a company updates it's software, 3rd party plugins (GoZ in this case) no longer work, you'll just have to wait until DAZ recode it to work with the new version of Zbrush.

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 463
    edited December 1969

In Zbrush you need to re-initialias the Goz plugins...

They are still in the same Paths,But you need to re start the plugin thru Zbrush...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,216
    edited December 1969

mrduck said:
    I'm having the same problem - Daz seems to freeze when transferring back from Zbrush - but I left it running and came back quite a bit later - and the transfer was complete - however the Genesis figure (now back in Daz) could not be animated!!
    Am I right in thinking that the figure should still be rigged for animation on it's return to Daz? This would be a dream come true if it worked!!

That sounds as if you may have sent the subdivided mesh back to DS as a new OBJ, rather than as a morph for the original OBJ.

• edited December 1969

Hello, how do you send the changes done in Zbrush back to DS4 as a morph?

thanks

edited July 2012

If you click the GoZ button on the Tool pane in ZBrush that should send the mesh back to DS. As long as it iss till a valid morph target it should be applied automatically, but if not make sure you have Show Options enabled in Edit>Preferences>Interface in DS.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • edited August 2012

I managed to get the altered Genesis figure back into DS but there were 2 instances of the figure 1. the Genesis figure 2. the 'morph' which was taking up the same space. I tranfered the rigging from Genesis to the new figure and it became animatable. I saved/exported the file - it saved as a DSF but now I'm lost - I thought it would load as a stand alone figure but this was not the case.
    Any suggestions ? (By the way it still took quite a time to get it back from Zbrush)

Thanks for the help so far

Post edited by bluebuxton_95f55ef927 on
    edited December 1969

It sounds as if you changed the mesh in ZBrush, so that the vertices no longer matched the original and so it couldn't be applied as a morph. Try setting the division level in ZBrush down to 0 and see if that helps - I'm not sure if the Bridge is meant to compensate for that - if it doesn't then something you have done in ZBrush has added to, subtracted from or reordered the vertices of the mesh.

• edited December 1969

I thought the whole point was to change the figure in Zbrush - I increased the subdivision a couple of times - changed the figure a bit - then deleted the lower subdivisions - as I wanted to keep the detail - took it back to DS - but there was no morph option displayed - thanks for taking the time to reply I must sound like an idiot but - i know what I want to do and thought that this was going to be the solution.

edited December 1969

A morph can only move the existing vertices around, it can't add or remove points nor can it rearrange them (by cutting a hole, say). If you want a higher detail modification you need to use displacement - the usual technique would be to add your extra sub divisions (with smoothing off, otherwise some areas - such as the teeth - will get unwanted modifications), create your shape, then dial the smoothing right down and send the morph back to DS, then use the grouping tools in ZBrush to split the mesh into subtools by material groups (this is easiest using an OBJ exported from DS and modified in a modeller to group the material zones by uv map, rather than using the Bridge) and export displacement maps to give the finer detailing on top of the morph.