Materials are inside out when importing obj

sacrtcsacrtc Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I created a box in 3ds max 2010 with 6 sides. Created a material to basically test the import. It is something of a die model with the numbers one through six on the sides. I save it out and then import it into Daz 4.6. Everything seems to be fine except the material appears inside out, or mirrored if you like. It is as if the material is facing the inside of the model instead of the outside. Does anyone have a fix for this, or know the settings I should use in 3ds max to get it right? I included a pic of the die so you can get a better idea of what i mean.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

That shows that the Normals are reversed, pointing in instead of out. Not sure of the fix but that is the cause.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,870
    edited December 1969

It isn't normals, the UVs just need mirroring (at least on the 1 face, the 3 looks OK as far as I can see).

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,513
    edited December 1969

I think it's one of the x/y/z that needs to be inverted (I think there is a checkbox for that and that the MAX importer sets that by default, or it is set but not needed.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,870
    edited December 1969

Ah, yes - would explain why the 3 looks OK. There are also invert checkboxes in the DS OBJ importer dialogue.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ah. I was thinking it was modeled bas ack wards... (BLUSH goes here.) I have done it before. One plane joined but rotated wrong so parts were pointing in and not out. Face direction was the next thing I learned.