Loading Zipfiles

spmwcspmwc Posts: 124
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hey, I hope this question applies. I have purchased content that comes in a zipfile instead of an exe. file. The exe. files always load very easy. I was hoping you could explain the difference between a zipfile and an exe. file. Also, what is the difference in how you load them. Could you explain in layman's terms how to load a zipfile from start to finish. Every time I ask this question I get directed to an old post, but I guess I am just not computer savy because I get lost in the computer jargon. Every one on this forum has been very kind and helpful with all my questions but I just can't seem to figure out this zipfile problem. I have DAZ3D 4 Pro version, operating system; Windows Vista Home Premium, 32bit with 4 gigs of memory. I appreciate you starting a class like this to help all of us newbies out. Thanks again for your help. I am really lost on this one!!!!!!!!:red::P:-)

Comments

• spmwcspmwc Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

Sorry, posted this in the wrong spot

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I could help you. I'm close to shutting down for the night but I have a couple of hours. I wrote a tutorial on installing content from Zip files. So I hope I'm the help you need.

Before I can be any help I need to know a few things. Please anwser these questions so I know just where we can start.
    What type of PC are you on? Is it a PC or a Mac?
    Which operating system do you have? Is it XP, Win7 or Lion ect ?
    Did you install DS as a default install with default options?
    Do you have a Zip file to work with?

Once I know these things we can get started.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited July 2012

In the mean time I will try to help you understand the differences between a Zip and Exe.

Exe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EXE In layman's terms it is a small program that helps you to install a program or in this case content for Daz Studio and therefore guides you through the process of installing the content to where you want it on your computer hard drive.

Zip: "A computer file whose contents of one or more files are compressed for storage or transmission, often carrying the extension .ZIP - a self-extracting zip file" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_file.

In layman's terms Zip is a format of a compressed file, compressed down to a smaller size. There are many other uses for Zip files like for saving space on Hard drives etc. Zipping a file up is done by piece of compression software like WinZip or 7Zip, two among many. Which is also needed to Unzip the Zip files so the content can be used.

Now we resume to your scheduled program. :coolcheese:

Post edited by Szark on