SOLVED Kind of a noob question about texture conversion to gen 6

Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Okay, like most people into aliens/sci-fi I have a number of Dariofish's alien textures from rendo for genesis 1.

I can apply the texture to Genesis 1, save the texture as a material preset and then apply to Gen 2 female and have them look fine. But the texture does not apply or work on Gen 2 male, without showing black parts of the texture background. Does this mean the UV is for females even though it was originally made for genesis which had no gender?

Is there a way to apply this to genesis 2 male so I can have both a male and female alien?

Below is an example...

Post edited by Serene Night on

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Genesis had no gender, but it still depended on UV maps for the materials. If they're able to look fine on G2F, that means Dario's mats are either using V4 (providing you have the V4 for G2F product), or V5 UVs, neither of which G2M has.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited March 2014

(this will only work if the texture is not UV specific to V4)
    Easy fix if you have M4 for G2M, use the M4 UV on Genesis when you apply the Texture. If it loads save as DUF and use that version on G2M.

If the texture is UV specific you can try the texture converter and convert it to M6 or G2M.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys! Will test it out later.

I just want aliens of both genders. =-)

edited December 1969

Yeah, does look like it uses V4 mats. I tried Jaderail's suggestion, but still got the black marks. Bummer.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

I just updated my UVSetterGen2 freebie today to include Olympia and Stephanie 6, and also to include the Generation 5 UVs for Genesis 2, which will be released in the DAZ Store later this week (subject to change). These UVs include Aiko 5, Stephanie 5, Hiro 5, Freak 5 and David 5. The Generation 5 UV presets will only change UVs on Genesis 2 and will do nothing when used on Genesis. You must own any of the figures listed for the UV presets to change anything. So, for example, if you do not own Victoria 6, then the V6_UV preset will do nothing and may even give you an error that the Victoria 6.dsf can't be found.

I hope you all find these useful, I know I use them a lot. The presets will apply the selected UV set to either Genesis 2 Male or Genesis 2 Female, regardless of the intended gender of the UV set. So you can put S6 textures on M6 or Jayden, and vice versa.

Please note that the textures for Creature Creator skins for Genesis 2 Female use the Basic Female UVs, so you would want to use the BF_UV preset on Gen2Male to use the Creature Creator textures.

Here is a link to ShareCG where the freebie is housed, but you can also find it following the Freebies link in my signature:

UV Setter for Genesis 2

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited December 1969

Yeah, does look like it uses V4 mats. I tried Jaderail's suggestion, but still got the black marks. Bummer.

If you have the V4 for G2F product (and I think you must, or the textures wouldn't work on G2F), you can make the textures work on G2M by copying the UV sets folder from its place in your G2F hierarchy to your G2M hierarchy. For example, if the UV sets for your G2F installation are at

My DAZ3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\UV Sets\DAZ 3D (or whatever directory you may be using instead of "My DAZ3D Library")

Copy all of the files and folders in there, and paste to the equivalent male directory at

My DAZ3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Male\UV Sets\DAZ 3D

Assuming you're using Windows; I don't know how the directories are laid out with a Mac, but it should at least be similar.

Once you do that, any of the textures that work on G2F will work on G2M. And, of course, you can do the same thing in reverse, copying UV sets from G2F to G2M, should you so desire.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

vwrangler said:

If you have the V4 for G2F product (and I think you must, or the textures wouldn't work on G2F), you can make the textures work on G2M by copying the UV sets folder from its place in your G2F hierarchy to your G2M hierarchy. For example, if the UV sets for your G2F installation are at

My DAZ3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\UV Sets\DAZ 3D (or whatever directory you may be using instead of "My DAZ3D Library")

Copy all of the files and folders in there, and paste to the equivalent male directory at

My DAZ3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Male\UV Sets\DAZ 3D

Assuming you're using Windows; I don't know how the directories are laid out with a Mac, but it should at least be similar.

Once you do that, any of the textures that work on G2F will work on G2M. And, of course, you can do the same thing in reverse, copying UV sets from G2F to G2M, should you so desire.

Your technique will work, vwrangler, but will cause duplicate files on your computer, which will not get updated if updates are released. I really recommend trying the freebie shown above. It works. :)

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited March 2014

Slosh said:
    Your technique will work, vwrangler, but will cause duplicate files on your computer, which will not get updated if updates are released. I really recommend trying the freebie shown above. It works. :)

I hadn't realized that this is how your freebie product works. My impression from what you'd said about it in the forum before was that it was purely a way of setting the UVs with presets outside the surface tab, and that the UV had to be available in the underlying figure's directories. I hadn't tried it because it seemed as though if you were already working in the surfaces tab, why would you go out to use a preset to do what you were already doing? If it keeps you from needing to do the copying and thus picks up any updates, that seems very worthwhile. (Also, possibly worth stating explicitly in the product info on ShareCG to keep others from making the same erroneous assumption that I did.)

I am glad to see that you've finished your Gen5 product. It'll be nice to be able to use the D5 textures and a couple of others on Genesis2.

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    I just updated my UVSetterGen2 freebie today to include Olympia and Stephanie 6, and also to include the Generation 5 UVs for Genesis 2, which will be released in the DAZ Store later this week (subject to change). These UVs include Aiko 5, Stephanie 5, Hiro 5, Freak 5 and David 5. The Generation 5 UV presets will only change UVs on Genesis 2 and will do nothing when used on Genesis. You must own any of the figures listed for the UV presets to change anything. So, for example, if you do not own Victoria 6, then the V6_UV preset will do nothing and may even give you an error that the Victoria 6.dsf can't be found.

I hope you all find these useful, I know I use them a lot. The presets will apply the selected UV set to either Genesis 2 Male or Genesis 2 Female, regardless of the intended gender of the UV set. So you can put S6 textures on M6 or Jayden, and vice versa.

Please note that the textures for Creature Creator skins for Genesis 2 Female use the Basic Female UVs, so you would want to use the BF_UV preset on Gen2Male to use the Creature Creator textures.

Here is a link to ShareCG where the freebie is housed, but you can also find it following the Freebies link in my signature:

UV Setter for Genesis 2

Thanks! I of course will buy your new product but this is a great freebie, and I will check it out!

edited March 2014

I followed VW wrangler's suggestion and easily added V4 textures to Gen2 males.

Thanks to you both!

Post edited by Serene Night on