Carrara Challenge VIII - "The Great Race" or "Don't Fence Me In" - WIP Thread is Open

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited December 1969

This is my final collection of random pics. The WIP thread will be opening in three hours. I hope these pics have been motivational.

1d_escape-420x0.jpg
    420 x 272 - 65K
    3_ostriches20n-2-web.jpg
    635 x 425 - 52K
    5_a98058_pf6.jpg
    450 x 260 - 58K
    images_(1).jpg
    277 x 182 - 11K
    sheep_1.gif
    300 x 351 - 28K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751
    edited December 1969

great motivational pics diomede64

one of them started me off to do a render..

not an entry as it doesn't fit the requirements but I had some time to fill in and thought I'd share

Not sure what approach I will do with this challenge... one of them I'm thinking maybe along the lines of a steampunk race... may be hard to get two in but will try ;-)

at least there are lots of motivational pics to get the juices flowing :-)

Big_Race.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 1M
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

I might actually have an idea for this one, but I do have one question. For a terrain, can we use Ground Control from DCG instead of the native Carrara terrain tool? I have a terrain I would like to use, but I need Ground Control for Carrara to be able to use it.

edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    I might actually have an idea for this one, but I do have one question. For a terrain, can we use Ground Control from DCG instead of the native Carrara terrain tool? I have a terrain I would like to use, but I need Ground Control for Carrara to be able to use it.

Using ground control is fine because plugins are OK and encouraged. To count toward rule 5(b), it would depend. If ground control still operates like the Carrara terrain object (I think it does, heightmap based, etc.), then you would be fine. If not, then you would have to either include another terrain object in some way, or more likely, use a replicator. But you can definitely use ground control, it is just a matter of satisfying the requirement to either use a Carrara terrain or a Carrara replicator. Importing heightmaps edited in a 3rd party program still satisfies rule 5(b). I think that is what ground control essentially does, but will have to look at it more closely.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    dustrider said:

Using ground control is fine because plugins are OK and encouraged. To count toward rule 5(b), it would depend. If ground control still operates like the Carrara terrain object (I think it does, heightmap based, etc.), then you would be fine. If not, then you would have to either include another terrain object in some way, or more likely, use a replicator. But you can definitely use ground control, it is just a matter of satisfying the requirement to either use a Carrara terrain or a Carrara replicator. Importing heightmaps edited in a 3rd party program still satisfies rule 5(b). I think that is what ground control essentially does, but will have to look at it more closely.

I took a quick look at ground control by DCG. I'll try to explain the distinction that I would like to make. Maybe people can help me understand whether that distinction makes sense, and whether ground control satisfies it, or maybe just parts of it does.

1 - yes, ground control (and any other plug-in) can be used, if credited.

2 - requirements of rule 5(b) - I would like to distinguish importing a terrain object that was created in another program from importing the height information that Carrara converts to a terrain object. Importing a terrain object as an obj or collada that was created in another program (such as Bryce) is perfectly fine, but doesn't satisfy rule 5(b). Importing a grayscale map that was made in photoshop or similar program that Carrara turns into a terrain does satisfy rule 5(b). I took a quick look at ground control and there were some functions that seemed to be closer to the Photoshop example, and thus would satisfy rule 5(b), but there were others that were closer to the import/obj example, and would not.

Here is an example of a description that seems to satisfy my concept of rule 5(b), the requirement to either use the terrain function or a replicator.
    "Grayscale controls how the elevation data is translated into a format that Carrara can understand. If set on Simple, Ground Control will create a straight grayscale conversion of the elevation data for the texture and height information for Anything Grooves and Terrain objects. If Smart Weight is selected, Ground Control will use it's knowledge of Carrara's internals to weigh different colors in the texture and height information to generate many more levels than the 255 available for a simple grayscale. Mesh and Ground Control primitives are more accurate to begin with so do not benefit from Smart Weight."
    That seems to use Carrara's terrain functions, just enhanced.

Here is a description that doesn't seem to satisfy my concept of rule 5(b), because it seems more like having another program create a mesh that Carrara merely imports.
    "X, Y, and Z sets the size of the imported object.
    Filtering controls how the elevation samples are taken when the Resolution isn't 100% and Ground Control is importing as a Mesh or Terrain. Point Sampling will just go to the closest point, Bilinear Filtering will create a calculate the value between the points creating a better, more accurate mesh at the cost of some speed."

So, does anyone know how DCG's ground control works? Is my understanding correct? Note - anyone can offer an opinion on whether my distinction is operational, or if there are too many other plugins or programs that would make such a distinction unworkable.

My instinct is to say that the filtering tools in ground control that are using Carrara to interpret height data, but in a more enhanced way, satisfy rule 5(b). On the other hand, ground control tools that create a primitive that Carrara imports would be OK, but would not satisfy rule 5(b).

edited December 1969

Stezza said:

not an entry as it doesn't fit the requirements but I had some time to fill in and thought I'd share

Not sure what approach I will do with this challenge... one of them I'm thinking maybe along the lines of a steampunk race... may be hard to get two in but will try ;-)

Looks great. It certainly fits the theme.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:

OMG Stezza...
    I absolutely love that render! The tone, the action... I'm sitting in bed, just got comfy, checked the forum and... whoa...
    I'd like to print this baby up and hang it on my wall! Thanks for having some time to fill.
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    dustrider said:

Hmmm ..... what I was planning may not satisfy the requirements then, because I was thinking of importing a high resolution digital ground surface created from airborne Lidar data. I know I can import it into Carrara with Ground Control via a DEM format. I will have to see if I can get good usable results with a height field map (the data I'm working with is huge - so it may not work, typically 100-250 Mb files),

You did give me a couple of alternate ideas though. If height fields won't work, I could probably use a Carrara terrain for a long distance background terrain. So I'm probably good to go, if I can carve out the time, Thanks!!

edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    I could probably use a Carrara terrain for a long distance background terrain. So I'm probably good to go, if I can carve out the time, Thanks!!

Yes, you can do that, or use a replicator. I want to encourage the use of DEM data and ground control. Regarding rule 5(b), it is just a question of whether the results should be treated as "3rd party content" or as "created or significantly enhanced by using Carrara's terrain functions."

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Here my terrain almost ready for a race around the lake (bicycles, joggers, chickens I don't know yet…).
    The terrain is a preset of Carrara which I modified while following the very interesting Mark Bremer's tuto. and the trees were replicated and converted with the invaluable councils of Diomede and EP on another thread.
    I believe that I will be able to finish for the deadline, I am with GMT+1…:-)

Lac.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 941K
    edited December 1969

Here my terrain almost ready for a race around the lake (bicycles, joggers, chickens I don't know yet…).
    The terrain is a preset of Carrara which I modified while following the very interesting Mark Bremer's tuto. and the trees were replicated and converted with the invaluable councils of Diomede and EP on another thread.
    I believe that I will be able to finish for the deadline, I am with GMT+1…:-)

That Mark Bremmer approach to the path appears to have worked well. Which method of controlling the distribution of replicated objects did you end up using? Terrain shader? 3D paint? Other?

Off to a good start. Can't wait to see what you decide to race.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

With the method of Mark Bremmer, one uses Photoshop and it is the occasion to create black and white copies.
    I recommend to all those which like to handle the grounds of Carrara (or other) to go to see he's very nice site: http://www.markbremmer.com/3Bpages/darkarts.html

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited March 2014

With Need for Speed movie coming out I thought I would do something like that, Here my police car for my Great Race, the Yakaki GTX-R with my police texture. I also made a light bar for the roof. Here it is with lights in the back half, just need to do the front half.

Police_Lights.png
    928 x 698 - 275K
    Doc2.png
    737 x 558 - 646K
    Post edited by d-j-o on
    edited December 1969

Here is more WIP. The road and the ground to the side of the road is edited vertice planes then painted on the textures. Working on the bump now. The areas just past this is from the terrain editor.

Moutain.png
    1219 x 734 - 147K
    Side_Road.png
    933 x 759 - 114K
    Road.png
    1114 x 741 - 102K
    Side_Road_paint.png
    1729 x 608 - 587K
    Side_Road_paint_2.png
    1559 x 748 - 928K
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Here is more WIP. The road and the ground to the side of the road is edited vertice planes then painted on the textures. Working on the bump now. The areas just past this is from the terrain editor.

Looking great, Kashyyk. I especially like the police car light, as long as it isn't following me! Two entries, and we already have two different effective methods to create roads.

edited December 1969

Stezza said:

I like this so much that I am curious. Why couldn't you add a couple of elements to conform to rule 5 and make this an entry? I love it. For example, could you create a shader domain on the paws and lower legs of the 'roos and replicate some dirt?

edited December 1969

I am settling on an idea from a classic movie. "I'm telling you, its under a big w." That starts the race to Santa Rosita. The movie has a lot of classic vehicle scenes to choose from, but I might stick with the scene in the park near the end.

This is truly just a concept stage. For this WIP, I inserted a default terrain and used the map editor to dig a hole. I also inserted and duplicated 4 preset palm trees and Don from Poser 5. Not sure if I will stick with this scene, but I will stick with Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World in some way. RIP, Sid Caeser.

WIP_the_big_W.jpg
    640 x 480 - 37K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    I am settling on an idea from a classic movie. "I'm telling you, its under a big w." That starts the race to Santa Rosita. The movie has a lot of classic vehicle scenes to choose from, but I might stick with the scene in the park near the end.

This is truly just a concept stage. For this WIP, I inserted a default terrain and used the map editor to dig a hole. I also inserted and duplicated 4 preset palm trees and Don from Poser 5. Not sure if I will stick with this scene, but I will stick with Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World in some way. RIP, Sid Caeser.

Ha! I love that film! If I may make a suggestion about the palm trees, try and tone the leaf color down a bit. They look much better when that is done.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Ha! I love that film! If I may make a suggestion about the palm trees, try and tone the leaf color down a bit. They look much better when that is done.
    I do too! Man it's been years since I've seen it. I wonder if it's on Netfix? I'll have to check later when I go into it.

edited March 2014

Between doing my taxes and snowblowing the drive after a storm came through this morning, I was working on this.

Working on scattering leaves behind the one vehicle. At first tried this twisted vertices plane then decided a hollow tube instead, tapered at one end with a twist to it.

Edit-Forgot the final road texture image

RoadText.png
    506 x 338 - 307K
    Leaves.png
    870 x 723 - 236K
    Doc3.png
    1640 x 1230 - 3M
    Post edited by d-j-o on
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited March 2014

Great movie. it a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World just got remastered recently and released on a 5 disk DVD/Blue Ray Criterion Collection set.

Post edited by Jay_NOLA on
    edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    Great movie. it a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World just got remastered recently and released on a 5 disk DVD/Blue Ray Criterion Collection set.

Criterion stuff is great, for years that was the only way to see the original Rated X version of Robocop until bluray!
    edited December 1969

Wow. You guys sure have gotten good at making WIP threads. There's a lot to take in here. Excellent!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Stezza said:

I like this so much that I am curious. Why couldn't you add a couple of elements to conform to rule 5 and make this an entry? I love it. For example, could you create a shader domain on the paws and lower legs of the 'roos and replicate some dirt?

I could.. but I won't.. Most of the content in the image is purchased content and/or freebies and the impression I have from these Carrara challenges are the more done in Carrara the better..

maybe good for a content challenge for the future..

Here is the start of my WiP for the challenge 'The Great Race'

will be kind of a steam punk theme.. well, that's what I'm trying for lol

WIP_TGR.jpg
    800 x 1100 - 359K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919
    edited December 1969

spiffing good stuff so far, great idea for a challenge - my apologies for missing the last one - was on a surf trip away from computer land thank god :)

just a quickie while I cook dinner ps stezza love that work up

Untitled-1.jpg
    1679 x 1006 - 376K
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    spiffing good stuff so far, great idea for a challenge - my apologies for missing the last one - was on a surf trip away from computer land thank god :)

just a quickie while I cook dinner ps stezza love that work up

Agreed. Very cool, Stezza!
    So how was your surf trip? Love the Hair vs Turtle approach! Good seeing you back!
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Between doing my taxes and snowblowing the drive after a storm came through this morning, I was working on this.

Working on scattering leaves behind the one vehicle. At first tried this twisted vertices plane then decided a hollow tube instead, tapered at one end with a twist to it.

Edit-Forgot the final road texture image

That's a great idea to use a surface replicator on a hidden object. I used the same technique in my homage to The Black Hole on my youtube channel. I replicated asteroids on a curvy spline object. I offset the hotpoint a bit and rotated it a little to give the impression of the asteroids kind of curving through space on the way to the black hole.

http://youtu.be/iS-sNje4k0o

Picture_1.png
    714 x 480 - 534K
    edited March 2014

Really good ideas everyone.

@Stezza, that is a fantastic presentation of your WIP. I think it is a shame that custom objects in Carrara have been overemphasized (even though I was a beneficiary) because using content designed for Studio and Poser is one of the great features of Carrara. I almost chose a theme to require the use of content but I didn't get a lot of feedback on the options I presented.

My second entry is going to be for the "Don't fence me in" theme. I plan to have a widescreen image of a landscape with a herd marching along a valley. I am attaching my planning idea and my progression in the Carrara terrain editor. First, I drew a rough sketch of what I was thinking. Then, I went into photoshop and painted a crude heightmap that would have a far line of hills on the right and another hill on the far left. The idea is to have the valley wrap around a promontory.

I want to use figures so I used a medium scene even though I am doing a landscape. I imported the crude heightmap into Carrara's terrain editor, and scaled up the terrain to 2050 x 2050. I then used the erosion filter to shape the crude heightmap to a valley and line of hills. I used very low settings for rain and wind because otherwise you get deep holes where the rain comes down and the wind destroys the mountains.

This is just the raw terrain. It needs to be textured. I will be replicating foliage and a line of cattle.

WIP_foursome.jpg
    830 x 830 - 136K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited March 2014

And here you can see the heightmap as it is finished after Carrara's erosion filters.

WIP_twosome.jpg
    652 x 619 - 78K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Really good ideas everyone.

@Stezza, that is a fantastic presentation of your WIP. I think it is a shame that custom objects in Carrara have been overemphasized (even though I was a beneficiary) because using content designed for Studio and Poser is one of the great features of Carrara. I almost chose a theme to require the use of content but I didn't get a lot of feedback on the options I presented.

My second entry is going to be for the "Don't fence me in" theme. I plan to have a widescreen image of a landscape with a herd marching along a valley. I am attaching my planning idea and my progression in the Carrara terrain editor. First, I drew a rough sketch of what I was thinking. Then, I went into photoshop and painted a crude heightmap that would have a far line of hills on the right and another hill on the far left. The idea is to have the valley wrap around a promontory.

I want to use figures so I used a medium scene even though I am doing a landscape. I imported the crude heightmap into Carrara's terrain editor, and scaled up the terrain to 2050 x 2050. I then used the erosion filter to shape the crude heightmap to a valley and line of hills. I used very low settings for rain and wind because otherwise you get deep holes where the rain comes down and the wind destroys the mountains.

This is just the raw terrain. It needs to be textured. I will be replicating foliage and a line of cattle.

The rules are really up to the person doing the challenge for a particular month. The original idea was to place Carrara in a positive light and to drum up support for Carrara, Carrara PAs and DAZ 3D, which is why DAZ Content has been allowed. The other idea was to educate new users to the fact that Carrara has some really cool and powerful features which can be intimidating or cryptic to use at first blush, but once introduced, are surprisingly easy and fun to use. That is why various hosts are encouraged to choose some unique feature to include in the contest, and to also have a WIP thread.

I don't recall for sure, but I may have been the first include a choice of features to use. The reason for that was to be inclusive to Standard edition users and Pro edition users.