i'm so sick of getting logged out during reply

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited December 1969 in The Commons

can't even backpage to retrieve my typing

around the world and back snap haaaaaate it

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Use to happen to me all the time on the old site. Have not had it happen on this one yet but I am sure it will when I go to do an overly long post and forget to hit the compatability view before I start.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

We have started making a copy of our posts, Ctrl C is very helpful. It is very annoying, but it does happen to us as well, so we do sympathise.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

I sometimes use a note pad it has an always on top option, multiple tabs and much much more, very handy indeed, no more switching between two browser tabs to refer to the thread.
    I even use it to view large mesh files, it is very capable for coders and people who wish to alter poser files etc.
    It is open source and therefore free to use.

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited July 2012

can't even backpage to retrieve my typing

I think that element is browser dependent, using Opera I can consistently backpage to my replies if I find out my session's expired and I need to login again.

That said, I think the logout issue needs bumping up the priority queue, it's something that's consistently annoying every user, while pretty much all the other problems are intermittent and only affect a portion of the user base. Pretty much every forum I use offers either a 'never log me out' option, selectable time-out durations, or an activity-based time-out counter that resets to zero when you do something (or all of the above). I don't object to being asked to login when I want to use the shop functions (as at the old store) there's a good reason for that, but the current forum set-up is definitely falling short of the mark.

Post edited by DWG on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

I happens to us all the time. You get to a point where you copy each post before hitting submit.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The fun part for me is having to close my browser and clear cookies in order to log back in, other wise the site just wont let me log in.

This has went past DAZ shooting it's self in the foot to DAZ doing a swan dive in to a meat grinder.

edited December 1969

There is no need to do any of that. When you get logged out of the forum, just log out of the store and log back in.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Yesterday it kick me out for 2 hours , I saw no new post also I was guessing something wrong with the forum again , it happen when I post more replies at once ,after 2 hours I switched my laptops and could log in again from the other only ,so this is weird .
    Each time I tried to log in it send me back to the shop account ,it is so annoying

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

I tried yesterday for 2 hours and did not work plus there was no one single new post in the time , there was no access to the forum for nobody .

Frank0314 said:
    There is no need to do any of that. When you get logged out of the forum, just log out of the store and log back in.
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

I'll give that a try, but it wont let me log in from the forum, I get the log in screen you get when you try to post after the forum has logged you out, and it wont take my log in. I just figured it was a bad cookie.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Frank0314 said:

I'll give that a try, but it wont let me log in from the forum, I get the log in screen you get when you try to post after the forum has logged you out, and it wont take my log in. I just figured it was a bad cookie.

Watch out for them bad cookies, they may give you stomach ache. :coolgrin:

edited December 1969

Yeah I don't use that one. When it gives me that I click on the login and it will take me to my account. I then log out of there and back in. It should work from there.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    ManStan said:
    Frank0314 said:

Watch out for them bad cookies, they may give you stomach ache. :coolgrin:

Yeah, but if they're chocolate chip, you enjoy them before you pay with the pain.
    mmmm chocolate chippp
    :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

The only time I have trouble with getting logged out is if I have had a computer crash. I log out and back in via the store and it stops though. Doing that I have stayed logged in for 3 or 4 days at a stretch.

edited December 1969

Wow, I can't stay logged in for more than a couple hour without it logging me out. It love to do it while replying to a post or PM

• kmw_5213kmw_5213 Posts: 74
    edited December 1969

Well, as I noted in another thread, maybe what we haven't noticed about the new site is that we're not supposed to stay logged in. There is no longer a 'Remember Me on This Computer' option on the Log In screen. I think that says it all.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I've noticed an odd pattern in the way this happens to me — I normally log in, browse the store for a little while, then open a series of tabs with all the forum's New Posts pages. I frequently browse this for a bit, bouncing back into the store now and then, then go off for a few hours leaving the forum tabs open. When I come back to read more, I'm still logged in and can access forum and store pages with no problems... for half an hour to an hour, then I open a new tab and suddenly realise from the lack of controls and options that I'm logged out.

(BTW, FWIW, I'm using the current Firefox, and the one time I've had the logout in the middle of composing a post, I was able to recover the text by bouncing back and forth with the Back and Forward buttons; I eventually got the edit window back complete with all entered text.)

I'm not asking for a fix right now, I realise the store needs more urgent attention. But could someone please get hold of one of the web team and ask what criteria the forums use for logging out? The sequence I've described above doesn't happen every evening, but I've never seen anything quite like it in any other forum I visit regularly.

This is one severely messed-up store and forum. It's been two months...

edited December 1969

I pretty much stay logged in till my computer crashes. Unluckily its been a bad summer for crashes and power outages on my computer so I don't know if I could stay logged in more than 4 days. I do know that rebooting doesn't log me out. IE9 installed about 2 months ago after a reformat just for reference.

edited December 1969

I was like you Khory and not getting logged out at all, until I had not so much a computer crash as a complete browser crash. My ISP has been doing some upgrading, so it may have been that which caused the crash, I don't know. For some reason when I booted up again I found the my browser, which is set to auto clear cache and browsing history only automatically on closing, had in fact cleared everything. The whole gamut of recent history, browsing and download history, cache, cookies, form and search history, active logins etc etc.

Since then I have been having the logut login problem that so many others have experienced. But I still don't know if it something my browser has done, something my ISP has done or what,

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Forums I stay logged in most of the time at home. At work though I have to log on constantly. BUT the store and My Account areas I have to log on constantly on both machines and trying to get these themes finished up makes the work a total PITA. Clearing out the cache as so many suggest does not make it better. The next day I start over with the log on mess in the main store and My Account area. Better than the old site? NOPE! lol

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

i wonder if the metric for their site success is the number of logins?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703
    edited December 1969

I use firefox in windows 7 and also maxthon on kindle fire. I am trying to use the kindle as that is what I will be bringing to visit my grandma. I do get logged out of the forums but not the store. I wish if I was logged out of one I will also be logged out of the other.

edited December 1969

If you wait long enough you will get llogged out of both, they don't seem to be quite synchrronised on the logout.

If not then you need to do the Logout login dance to make sure you are really logged out before you login again. Logut on the stoe and wait for confirmation that you are really logged out.