new user - can't follow barefoot dancer tutorial - some assets missing

johnoconstablejohnoconstable Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

hi everyone.

I'm a new user and i'm startinng to learn daz3d by following the barefoot dancer tutorial.

I can't find the barefoot dancer files in the smart content window and when i search for them in the content library, although they are listed, when trying to load them I get the error 'some assets needed to load the file were missing'.

Although i had the previous version of daz3d loaded and i tinkered with it a bit, I decided to load the latest version a couple of days ago. i didnt uninstall the old version but i cant see it now so i'm not sure if this was an upgrade or not. I'm not sure if this was an issue with the previous version as i never got this far.

I used DIM to download and install and i've attached a screenshot to show what is installed.

Please could someone help?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Perhaps the easiest way to load the tutorial for barefoot dancer, is to go to Help > Home, and select Interactive tutorials from the pop up screen. That will show you how to load it. Or just go to the Select A Lesson label at the bottom of the Viewport.

Are you sure that you have set up DS correctly? DIM installs content to C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library which is different to the old install location. Go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, and make sure that the correct path is listed for both DAZ Studio AND Poser Formats.

• johnoconstablejohnoconstable Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

further info...

not sure if this is relevant but i've observed the following:

i reopened daz3d and the smart content file list has changed. Before, the 'people' heading was listed twice and neither contained barefoot dancer. Now i only have people listed once at the top level and 'figures' is listed where i dont think it was there before. this has people listed in a subfolder and barefoot is somewhere in there but i still get the loading error.

the selection box at the top says 'no selection' whereas before it had 3 options including genisis and i couldnt clear it to 'no selection'.

finally, I tried to load basic male and female and they loaded without an error message but they are displaying as robot-like blocks!

edited March 2014

When you get the blocky figures, that usually means that DS cannot find the 'data' folder.

You will need to follow the instructions in my post above to make sure that DS has the correct path to your content.

Are you sure that you have set up DS correctly? DIM installs content to C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library which is different to the old install location. Go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, and make sure that the correct path is listed for both DAZ Studio AND Poser Formats.
    Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
    edited December 1969

thanks jimmyc.. I have the quickstart pdf without a problem.

I added those paths as suggested and i've been able to load barefoot dancer through content manager.

I did briefly see it in smart content and loaded it but i cant see it again now. it seems to be available when the pulldown shows 'no selection' but at the moment its only allowing me to select genesis, kids 4 and michael 5.. i cant see how to clear it back to 'no selection'

Perhaps the easiest way to load the tutorial for barefoot dancer, is to go to Help > Home, and select Interactive tutorials from the pop up screen. That will show you how to load it. Or just go to the Select A Lesson label at the bottom of the Viewport.

edited December 1969

sorry jimmyc, our posts crossed over...

edited December 1969

Smart Content works in a different way to the Content Library pane.

If you load Genesis, and have it selected, the Smart Content pane should only show items which can be used with Genesis. Deselect everything in the Scene pane by clicking on a blank area of the Scene pane, or a blank area in the Viewport, then Smart Content will display everything that it has.

Mine takes a little while to display everything since I have over 600 items in Smart Content. With Genesis selected, I only get 162 items. With Genesis 2 Female selected, I only get 35 items.

The Content Library pane will always show everything that is installed, even non DS content that does not have Metadata, that's why I use it the most.

edited December 1969

all sorted - thanks jimmyc.

The response time in the program is a bit slow for me so when i click on things and nothing seems to change it makes it harder to learn how it all works!

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited March 2014

I think maybe many of new user feel difficulity to find contents for daz tutorial in smart contents.
    and without knowing where tutoriall flies are isntalled, it is difficult to serch them in content library too.

because there is no group for tutoriall contents which can make user easy to find.

Meta -data (smart content) are desigend to filter assets by compatiblity.
    so that when we need to serch Mat files , clothings, about those which need clear compatibility,
    Smart conttent work better. (though there should be correct meta-data, without it,
    smart content is really dump tool ^^;)

I recommend , daz offer meta-data for each tutorialls as same as other contents.
    which should be grouped as Documents>Tutrorial> Barefootdancer>Actor, prop,Mat, poze,etc to easy find in smart content
    or content library too.

add two pic,, to clear show what I hope about tutorials category,, syould be like that.
    1. usually category for all contents gathered as tutoriall name
    2, product meta-data it can easy to find each asset of the product, (though sometimes it cause another problem,
    when you change current selection,, but it is better without no product category)

category2.JPG
    685 x 673 - 74K
    category1.JPG
    587 x 596 - 77K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on
    edited December 1969

I think maybe many of new user feel difficulity to find contents for daz tutorial in smart contents.
    and without knowing where tutoriall flies are isntalled, it is difficult to serch them in content library too.

because there is no group for tutoriall contents which can make user easy to find.

Finding tutorials and other help files for DAZ Studio is the easiest that it has ever been. Clicking on Help > Home brings up the screen shown below, and there is also a lesson strip at the bottom of the interface which also leads to the Barefoot dancer tutorial.

Untitled-1.jpg
    998 x 864 - 308K
  • First tutorial experiences:

1) Barefoot dancer appears to be a Genesis 2 character but my DAZ (on a Mac) brought up Genesis 8 by default.  I had to search for that asset.  

2) In the hair shaping section, Shaping tab + Presets area does not match the tutorial image.  I had to go to Smart Content tab + Files then Shaping to find the hair.

3) Posing step:  I don't see the right image.  In its place I see one titles 08 and another titled Base 06.

4) Now in the lighting step:  I only see 1-11 options on the right pane.  Luckily, I do have the "LIGHTS - Barefoot Dancer" item.

5) Cameras:  all OKAY.  Two camera presets exist.

6) The Backdrop option was apparently moved into the Environment tab so it is not available in the EDIT menu as the tutorial shows.  Needless to say, the Backdrop folder itself was deeply hidden in a cloud folder, but I did find it eventually.

7) Rendering step:  was not where it was supposed to be!  Finally found it under "Daz Connect" folder.  Boy this tutorial needs an update!