Can't Load Carrara 8.5 content on my mac.

msolomonmsolomon Posts: 209
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello All,

This sounds like a problem that has been solved already so here goes. I used the manual blue button to download Carrara 8.5 and the content. The computers I need to load them on are presently off line. Carrara unzipped as an installer and loaded just fine. I unzipped the content and got folders instead of installers. Usually this is not a problem. I would simply place the files in the proper folders but I can't find instructions on appropriate placement. Has anyone solved this problem.

Comments

• HeavyDHeavyD Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

I am having a similar issue. I used install manager for both the programs and the content on my new PC. I installed the programs onto my C drive and the content onto the G drive. The "regular content" shows up in Carrara but the "smart content" does not. The files on the G drive look like they need to be extracted but where should they be extracted to? Also, "auto detect runtime" is grayed.

• msolomonmsolomon Posts: 209
    edited December 1969

I managed to get my Daz content loaded. I broke down and carried my 27in imac into the local library and downloaded the content via their wifi. ( I got some pretty funny looks. ) I used the DIM. The Daz content works great but I am having trouble with the Native Content. When I load it I can't see it in the browser. When I set a specific location in the DIM I still can't see it, in the folder specified or the browser.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,233
    edited December 1969

Another thread may have found the answer. It seems that Carrara 8 Native Content, the one with all that stuff in it, installs to Carrara 8, not 8.5
    Hmmm... but it worked fine for me...

Perhaps you have both 8 and 8.5 installed?

If so, DIM may have only installed it to 8 and not 8.5

For using DIM, make sure that "ALL" versions of Carrara that you want it to install to are added to the applications tab in the DIM's settings.

Just check where Carrara gets installed, and see if there's an entry for Carrara 8. If so, I have a feeling that is where your Native Content went. I don't know how to manually install stuff to a Mac. But if you deselected where it deletes the installer files upon install, you'll still have the file in your DIM Download folder. On a PC, that is Documents > DAZ 3D > install manager > Downloads

Then just open the zip and drag the contents to your Carrara 8.5 installation. But I'm not sure about MacOS.

• OldminerOldminer Posts: 134
    edited December 1969

I have given up on manual downloads for Carrara8.5 I use DIM and as long as the content shows up in Carrara I'm ok. Sometimes I have to add folders to Objects or Misc Tabs to use some of the content so I don't delete after install.

• jrm21jrm21 Posts: 140
    edited December 1969

MSolomon said:
    I managed to get my Daz content loaded. I broke down and carried my 27in imac into the local library and downloaded the content via their wifi. ( I got some pretty funny looks. ) I used the DIM. The Daz content works great but I am having trouble with the Native Content. When I load it I can't see it in the browser. When I set a specific location in the DIM I still can't see it, in the folder specified or the browser.

There was a problem with the original installer, but that had been fixed. When I first downloaded C8.5 on my Mac, I had the same problem. I recently did a full un-install then re-install of everything and DIM put things in the proper place. Note that during this process I removed version 8 from my drive first... Dartanbeck's suggestion that it may be installing to the C8 folder could be the issue in your case.

Also note that there are a few content packages. Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content is a 183kb file, Carrara 8.5 native Content is a 3.8MB file. Both of these have little in them. You also need to install Carrara 8 Native content (186.8MB) which has the bulk of the files.

Regardless, it helps to understand that the Mac install is handled differently than the PC install.

When you install Carrara, the icon for the program is not the application. It is a "package." This is a fancy name for a folder which acts like a single file. If you are having problems with the native content install, you may want to do a "manual" install.

Caution is advised - changing things in the "package" could cause problems.

Go to your Carrara program icon in the Finder. Right-click on it (or Ctrl-click if you only have a 1 button mouse).
    From the contextual menu which appears, select "show package contents." Window contents will show what's in the package.
    From there, navigate to Carrara->Contents->MacOS->Presets

In the "Presets" folder there are several folders (Atmosphere, Backgrounds, Shaders, etc.) which correspond to the folders in the content file you downloaded. Copy the contents of the _download_ to the appropriate Presets folder in the _package_. If there are also "Scene" files, they can be installed (copied) into the "Scenes" folder one level up (in the MacOS package folder).

I have included a screen shot which might make it all easier to understand.

window2.jpg
    943 x 1312 - 273K
  • OldminerOldminer Posts: 134
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the information! This is the first time I learned where the Carrara file structure was. This solved most of my problems!