Will computer upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 cause a Bryce problem ?

edited February 2014 in Bryce Discussion

Silly question maybe... What I mean is, I use Bryce Pro only on my laptop which has sufficient memory (although, no, I have nothing really worth posting yet!...there was a CPU problem causing difficulties but I think that is fixed now)...BUT it needs an upgrade to 8.1 soon (my older Bro will be helping). To prepare, I will be backing up all my hard drive files and folders on flash drives. Will Bryce's installed folders be OK as they are, or would I need to re-install in 8.1 from my original downloaded files (still residing on an older flash drive)

I'm hoping everything will go smoothly and I can leave my files as they are w/o any re-installing. But I just thought I'd ask here, to make sure, before the big day arrives! - krystal

Post edited by aphrodites.flower.girl on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,124
    edited December 1969

Bryce installs some files in the Windows System folder and also writes to the registry. It depends what the upgrade 8.0 to 8.1 clears out. Since you were already clever enough to save all your stuff including Bryce, I'd say give it a try, just copy things back. If it doesn't work, install Bryce again in the same location - that should care for the system files and the registry, then copy stuff back. Another question is whether the bridge to Studio will work without re-installing Studio.

• edited February 2014

Horo said:
    Bryce installs some files in the Windows System folder and also writes to the registry. It depends what the upgrade 8.0 to 8.1 clears out. Since you were already clever enough to save all your stuff including Bryce, I'd say give it a try, just copy things back. If it doesn't work, install Bryce again in the same location - that should care for the system files and the registry, then copy stuff back. Another question is whether the bridge to Studio will work without re-installing Studio.

Me? Clever?? LOL :-)

Ooh, I forgot about the registry. Just got thru using CCleaner on the laptop, which I've used more than once on the PC without any problem. Hope I didn't accidentally wipe out any important Bryce files ! I haven't used Bryce since the cleanup, so no guarantee it works correctly now... Might have to re-install in any case! I haven't gotten round to using Studio yet either....too many toys in the toybox... So installation of Studio should be a one time operation...until the next upgrade down the road...!

[EDIT] Checked on Bryce and it seems to be OK...

Post edited by aphrodites.flower.girl on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,124
    edited December 1969

If you run into issues, don't forget to check this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/7516/.

• silk_99cfbbf5d0silk_99cfbbf5d0 Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

I have yet to see any issue with any program when updating the OS. The only time I ended up reinstalling all of my programs was from having to reinstall windows due to a virus or some kind of crash that left my system unstable. This had more to do with the registry being recreated than losing files.