Bryce under WINE problems...

reddwarfreddwarf Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I figured posting this here would get more views and maybe some help :D

So I'm running Bryce 7.1 under the latest Wine in Fedora Linux, I have some problems with the buttons and sliders not working. First was the rotate tool, found a shortcut to use it with mouse and keyboard (hover mouse over rotate and hold CTRL to rotate), but I cannot get the timeline to go over to the right, it will go alittle like a few milliseconds but thats all I could get it to do. Anyone know of any solutions or shortcuts? I know downgrading to 5.5 is what a few people have said but I just can't do that!! Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

BRYCE+WIne = not working yet. It was just very recently that Bryce would even start. It's getting there, but it isn't quite yet.

Kendall

reddwarf said:
    I figured posting this here would get more views and maybe some help :D

So I'm running Bryce 7.1 under the latest Wine in Fedora Linux, I have some problems with the buttons and sliders not working. First was the rotate tool, found a shortcut to use it with mouse and keyboard (hover mouse over rotate and hold CTRL to rotate), but I cannot get the timeline to go over to the right, it will go alittle like a few milliseconds but thats all I could get it to do. Anyone know of any solutions or shortcuts? I know downgrading to 5.5 is what a few people have said but I just can't do that!! Any help is much appreciated.

• reddwarfreddwarf Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yea I see alot of people having same problem with some of the buttons, everything else seems to work very well :) Oh well guess its the waiting game now...

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

OK, if the full Bryce is problematic on Wine, what about Lightning? Is it possible to have a master Bryce system running native Windows, and a network render box running Lightning under Wine?

edited December 1969

You know, I've not tried Lightning, nor the Carrara Render Nodes under Wine.

Kendall

edited December 1969

*NEWS FLASH*
    Bryce Lightning does work under Wine! I completed a network render in about 1/8th the time of using my desktop alone by having Lightning running on a Dell PE 1950 with Wine. I am running Ubuntu 12.04, with Wine 1.4. There is one key point here. You have to install the Wine equivalent of the MSFT Visual C++ runtime libraries. If you have a Linux distro with a current Wine, then there is a neat utility called winetricks that does this for you. You can either use the winetricks gui, or enter the following in a terminal window:

winetricks vcrun2005

The other thing was, I was unable to actually run the Lightning installer under Wine, but the app is standalone, so copying the Lightning folder from a Windows machine to the wine area on the Linux machine worked fine. Graphics card support, OpenGL, etc. NOT necessary to run Lightning. Do the usual network render setup from the master machine, making sure the slave is online and running Lightning, then fire when ready!

Note that this does nothing for Mac users, as Wine pretends to be Windoze, not OSX, and Lightning will not currently do cross-platform renders.

edited December 1969

*NEWS FLASH*
    Bryce Lightning does work under Wine! I completed a network render in about 1/8th the time of using my desktop alone by having Lightning running on a Dell PE 1950 with Wine. I am running Ubuntu 12.04, with Wine 1.4. There is one key point here. You have to install the Wine equivalent of the MSFT Visual C++ runtime libraries. If you have a Linux distro with a current Wine, then there is a neat utility called winetricks that does this for you. You can either use the winetricks gui, or enter the following in a terminal window:

winetricks vcrun2005

The other thing was, I was unable to actually run the Lightning installer under Wine, but the app is standalone, so copying the Lightning folder from a Windows machine to the wine area on the Linux machine worked fine. Graphics card support, OpenGL, etc. NOT necessary to run Lightning. Do the usual network render setup from the master machine, making sure the slave is online and running Lightning, then fire when ready!

Note that this does nothing for Mac users, as Wine pretends to be Windoze, not OSX, and Lightning will not currently do cross-platform renders.

This is good news. Any info on performance?

Kendall

edited December 1969

*NEWS FLASH*

winetricks vcrun2005

This is good news. Any info on performance?

Kendall

Performance relative to what? Lightning running natively under Windows? Not sure I have a good way to test that. My desktop is dual core, but the 1950 has dual 4 core processors. I don't have a way currently to make my desktop the slave in a network render without installing the full Bryce somewhere else. I know when priority is set to high, the master cranks away at 100%. The slave on the Linux box seemed to go up and down in cpu usage, according to the Linux perf meter. Not sure if that's the way Lightning works, or if it's Wine doing it. I do have Lightning on another Windoze box I can try for comparison, but that one is single core. If the slave always goes up and down in cpu usage as current slices are finished and new ones are farmed out to it, then it's not a Wine limitation. I definitely had all 8 cores cranking away on it. I did not get a render report. Might have to do that again. The scene I used was the old Sky City at 1440x1080 resolution.

• reddwarfreddwarf Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh wow thats good news then! I have 3 laptops and 3 desktops I could run linux on and really use them now! Thanks guys for the good information.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited September 2012

As of at least Wine 1.5.6 Bryce 7.1 IS working...

I'm running Wine under Slackware64 13.37 and did the 'usual' MSVC overrides that everyone tries for Bryce (a long time ago, now...). I recently did an upgrade to Wine, so I thought I'd try running Bryce and see what would happen, much to my surprise it opened and loaded. Then I ran a test scene...and it rendered. Then I played with a couple of things, saved a file and loaded another one...all worked, no hangs or anything.

I had originally jumped to Wine 1.5.12, but that broke something in DS 4.5 (the content tab, plugins and a bunch of other stuff just wasn't there...), so I've been playing with various Wine versions and 1.5.6 was the first one I tried Bryce with...

One thing that may make a difference...I've installed Bryce, DS, Hexagon and Poser all to their own partition. It is formatted in NTFS (because it was an old XP partition that I never reformatted...).

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • Greetings,

Because Bryce is an older program, it is perfectly suited for use in a VM environment. I have an i7 920 with 24GB of DD3 and it has 3 separate Windows VMs running Bryce simultaneously under CentOS 7.

If you'd like more info, let me know!

Brian