Bluebird 3D's Render Thread - I have cookies in here!

Bluebird 3DBluebird 3D Posts: 995
edited December 2012 in Art Studio

Now and then I like to take a fun day and render something for personal enjoyment. I thought it was time to share one of these.

"Goth Girl" was created with these products:
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dark-embrace - Created by MindVision G.D.S.
and...
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/shelter - Created by Jack Tomalin

I used a combo of Uber Environment and Daz default lighting for this render. This was rendered in Daz Studio. The post was done in Photoshop.

I had a lot of fun with this one. :)

Post edited by Bluebird 3D on

Comments

• Bluebird 3DBluebird 3D Posts: 995
    edited December 1969

Merry Christmas, Everyone. :)

CHRISTMAS_2012.jpg
    1300 x 998 - 845K
  • Jake_35533Jake_35533 Posts: 242
    edited December 1969

Merry Christmas, Everyone. :)

Wow, this one is really good. This looks like a promotion poster for a catalogue or something. Very nice !

edited December 1969

Thank you, Jake!

edited December 1969

Candice with several exposure filters applied in post to make the base lighting more dramatic. This brought out the detail in her skin textures - the creator did a fab job with her!

I've included the base render for comparison.

Candice_No_PS.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Candice_FINAL.JPG
    1000 x 1300 - 805K
    edited December 1969

This was using Pretty 3D's AssasSIN outfit. I put it on Genesis. It converted quite nicely!

Female_Assassin_FINAL.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 450K
    edited December 1969

This is my stylized version of a nod to our US Troops.

Luthebel's War Dog for Genesis is an amazing outfit and accessory set. Tons of eye for detail on it.
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/wardog-for-genesis

And my render is below. Post, as usual, is done in Photoshop.

War_Dogs.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 657K
    edited December 1969

Snow Bunny

Snow_Bunny.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 328K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Oh, pretty.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Oh, pretty.

Thanks Cho!

edited December 1969

Rendered just for fun on a lazy Sunday morning.

Isabel_Final_1000x1300.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 368K
    edited December 1969

This one was rendered in Poser for practice. The sky and sun were composited in Photoshop.

Sydney.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 959K
    edited December 1969

Rendered to show off Knight Gear Accessories by Feral Fay. She did an amazing job with this set. The morphs included with the belt and sash are fantastic!

http://www.daz3d.com/knight-gear-accessories

~Bluebird

Knight_Gear.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 785K
  • 3DLust3DLust Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Nice renders Bluebird :)

I'm putting The Locker Room in my cart and I was wondering what lighting you used in the promos? They look fantastic :)

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Rendered just for fun on a lazy Sunday morning.

Beautiful image.

edited December 1969

3DLust said:
    Nice renders Bluebird :)

I'm putting The Locker Room in my cart and I was wondering what lighting you used in the promos? They look fantastic :)

Thank you!

Lets see.. the lighting changes a little depending on which render but in general the idea is:

- HDRI Map - An exceptionally bright one with lots of white bounce. I used a snow scene for these renders.
    - Directional light acting as sun going through one set of windows.
    - Point light behind the camera and to the right or left side of it, typically in the opposite direction of my directional light, set to about 25 watts and positioned to pool softly near the floor and about 2/3rds up the wall to aid global illumination and make the red bleed/glow subtly.
    - Area light emitters on the light tube geometry set to about 100 watts.

And then I used a camera with:
    - A wider lens view - somewhere around 45 - 50
    - f-stop of 2.8
    - Shutter speed of probably around 1/50 or 1/60 but I can't remember now

I either used Octane or Maxwell render for these. I can't remember which. Its been done for months. Octane has a Studio plugin to convert the materials. Both programs have great global illumination results. You can get the same exact effects in LuxRender with the Luxus plugin.

If I used Studio for this then I would have added two more point lights to the above set up with red sampled from the locker paint and set low to scatter along the same lockers to achieve that subtle glow effect from sun bounce. I would have also used UberEnvironment with a maximum trace distance setting of around 50 with a mid grey set as the color or the render would be too dark in Studio.

So there you have it. This is probably way more of an answer than you expected but I wanted to be complete. It turns out it wasn't a quick reply. LOL - I hope you don't mind.

~Bluebird

edited December 1969

I don't mind at all! Thank you so much for the detailed answer!

I'll download the Octane Render demo and give it a try, and it might be time to splurge on Maxwell now that V3 is out. :)

If you don't mind me asking, can you tell me which one you prefer and why? I'd love to know which one you like best :)

Thanks again!

edited January 2014

3DLust said:
    I don't mind at all! Thank you so much for the detailed answer!

I'll download the Octane Render demo and give it a try, and it might be time to splurge on Maxwell now that V3 is out. :)

If you don't mind me asking, can you tell me which one you prefer and why? I'd love to know which one you like best :)

Thanks again!

If you can swing it, then I whole heartedly recommend a commercial Maxwell license. It is by far the most artist friendly, easy to learn and well documented and supported render engine I have ever used. It even replaced my Mental Ray in Maya workflow for non-DAZ-related projects.

My favorite features:

- Multi-light (This will change your life. Okay maybe not that dramatic but it will come close!) : http://vimeo.com/79091042

- FIRE is kick butt awesome. This is a voxel based render preview system. To us artists, that translates to: See your rendered scene previews instantly. It takes me about 10 minutes for an entire interior scene lighting and render set up whereas in Mental Ray it would take me about an hour and a half to do the same thing because I don't have to do test renders between scene tweaks: http://vimeo.com/79091628

- Material set up is stupid easy. They've made this process so easy you could actually catch up on some shows while setting up your scene and not miss a beat.

- This render engine is not limited by specific graphic cards. If you're system can render a one figure in one environment DAZ or Poser scene with full lighting and quality settings in 2 hours or less, then chances are it won't have any issue with Maxwell.

And of course, since it is an unbiased render engine you also have:

- Physically accurate lighting
    - Real world camera rules and lenses

The cons to keep in mind:

- Unbiased means slower render engine. If you are good with lighting, you will get a nice result in less time but don't expect grain free renders in a couple of minutes. The locker room renders took me about 4 hours each on my monster rig machine. You can also combat this by using this service if you want something done wicked fast and don't mind fronting some change for it. I use them now and then: http://www.rebusfarm.net/en/ - They have a sweet plugin for Maxwell that makes it nice and easy to port the info over. If I am under the gun for promo renders, I ship them there and have them back in an hour or so, even for multiple cameras.

- Images will have a ton of noise for a long while. This is usually normal but if you don't see it at least starting to clear after an hour, check your lighting. Make sure you are lighting for your camera, not your own eyes. Your camera will see less than you can so it will need more light than you think. Your lighting skills need to be dead on or you'll pay the painful price in render time.

So yeah. There you go. Hehe.

I like this render engine so much I put a little birdie in Spheric's ear about it. He is the excellent dev who made the Luxus plugin for LuxRender. You never know what can come of that.

~Bluebird

Post edited by Bluebird 3D on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the great info :) I think I'll ask for Maxwell for my birthday - it would make a great present :) Until then, I've tried Reality 2.5 but so far I get a lot of Firefly's using a multi light setup, so I'll try just mesh lights and see how that turns out - they seem to cause the least problems.

That Render Farm looks awesome as well - if I get into modeling environments I'm sure that will come in handy :)

Hope you have a great weekend!

• Jay Jay_1264499Jay Jay_1264499 Posts: 298
    edited January 2014

Fantastic images! I think your Luxus Pro training tutorial is probably one of the best purchases I've made here on Daz. Thank you for taking the time to make it as I've learned tons about Uberlighting from it!

Cheers

Jay

Post edited by Jay Jay_1264499 on
  • StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited January 2014

If you can swing it, then I whole heartedly recommend a commercial Maxwell license. It is by far the most artist friendly, easy to learn and well documented and supported render engine I have ever used. It even replaced my Mental Ray in Maya workflow for non-DAZ-related projects.

Hi @Bluebird 3D,

Thank you for the information. I went to the Maxwell Render website and was excited that they have a "learning edition" available, which will give me the opportunity to learn the render engine and then determine if I want to purchase a license.

BTW, I second @AngryChair's sentiment. I loved your training videos for Luxus. It really reduced my learning curve of the LuxRender plugin. Learning more about lighting was a definite plus! :)

Edit: Doh! Okay, the learning edition does have a price tag but it's still a lot less than a commercial license. :)

Trish

Post edited by Stormlyght on