Contingent sales

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Dear DAZ -

Please don't make your sales contingent upon us buying things that we probably don't want to buy. If there was a straight 60% off sale on all the genesis stuff, I'd probably be sending in my money. But when you require a $10 purchase of content I have no interest in to qualify for the special sale, I no longer even bother to peek at the sale items.

And I realize everyone is looking for different types of content - so some offers will appeal to different people. But this seems to have been the trend for as long as I can remember now, where we're required to buy stuff we have no interest in to get access to good discounts.

This, coupled with the policy that no longer lets us use our monthly voucher on whatever we want has taken just about all of the joy out of shopping at DAZ - and that does not seem like a good business plan for a company that thrives on customer loyalty and enthusiasm, where every expenditure (for most of us) is a luxury as opposed to a necessity.

I've wanted to root for DAZ from the start. But waiting for manuals that never materialize and pipelines that never get repaired takes a toll over time.

There are plenty of positives at DAZ as well, but at least in my experience, the efforts to squeeze dollars out in this manner has resulted in my spending only a small fraction of what I used to - and many months I find myself hunting about to use the voucher on something just so it doesn't go to waste. Very different experience than it used to be. Wish you could find a new model that satisfied PA's as well as DAZ's bottom line.

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Dear DAZ -

Please don't make your sales contingent upon us buying things that we probably don't want to buy.

Can certainly understand that sentiment- but they do offer a variety to choose from normally. And things aren't always what they seem either- the sales STACKED like crazy with the Genesis sale and the featured stores. They didn't point that out. You could have picked up hair for slightly over $3 that was $17.95 for example. (Discussed in my art studio thread, see signature.) DAZ has nice stacking discounts sales, so just wait for one of those, and test the cart to see if stacking is going on. That will make it worth your while when you do find something you like.

I personally don't shoot for a $50 mark, that is pretty expensive- but with the stacking sale, I hit that and got an additional 10% off. Ridiculous prices. But if there's nothing you want that you have to buy, I can see why that would be very frustrating. I do have to say the variety is getting better in my opinion, not totally slinky. They have mixed hair and poses as choices, etc.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Dear DAZ -

Please don't make your sales contingent upon us buying things that we probably don't want to buy. If there was a straight 60% off sale on all the genesis stuff, I'd probably be sending in my money. But when you require a $10 purchase of content I have no interest in to qualify for the special sale, I no longer even bother to peek at the sale items.

And I realize everyone is looking for different types of content - so some offers will appeal to different people. But this seems to have been the trend for as long as I can remember now, where we're required to buy stuff we have no interest in to get access to good discounts.

This, coupled with the policy that no longer lets us use our monthly voucher on whatever we want has taken just about all of the joy out of shopping at DAZ - and that does not seem like a good business plan for a company that thrives on customer loyalty and enthusiasm, where every expenditure (for most of us) is a luxury as opposed to a necessity.

I've wanted to root for DAZ from the start. But waiting for manuals that never materialize and pipelines that never get repaired takes a toll over time.

There are plenty of positives at DAZ as well, but at least in my experience, the efforts to squeeze dollars out in this manner has resulted in my spending only a small fraction of what I used to - and many months I find myself hunting about to use the voucher on something just so it doesn't go to waste. Very different experience than it used to be. Wish you could find a new model that satisfied PA's as well as DAZ's bottom line.

If you are referring to the current 60% off the genesis related hair and clothing sale, I took a look at the product thingy and don't see anything on it about a minimum purchase. The 50% off Genesis people sale has a no new release on it.

As a test, I put the very first hair on the promo page for the hair and clothing sale in the cart. The price is just under $6. Went to the shopping cart and it was showing up at the sale price in the total.

If you want the extra 10% discount on top of the 60%, you do have to buy $50 worth of items but that's a pretty standard sale tactic and nothing is hidden.

Where are you seeing the requirement that you have to buy $10 or more to get the sale price?

DAZ has been having the buy one of these items to get the sale price on other items or the buy 3 or more to get the sale price type sales for well over a year now.

The voucher turned coupon is a dead horse. Continually beating it isn't going to change it. If you are a long term member or not a Genesis user, it can be hard to use the coupon at times. I always keep a couple of DO's on my wishlist so that if I get to the last day of the month and haven't used the coupon, I don't have to search the store. Sometimes I use it and sometimes I don't.

Right now the supported models here at DAZ are Genesis and the G2F/M. It was the same when Gen 3 supplanted Gen1/2 before Gen 4 supplanted Gen 3. The majority of PA's support whatever models DAZ is providing support for.

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Dear DAZ -

But waiting for manuals that never materialize and pipelines that never get repaired takes a toll over time.

http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/daz_studio_4_x_quickstart_guide.pdf
    http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/daz_studio_4_x_user_guide.pdf

Yeah . . . I was talking about the Carrara manual, which has been (had been) promised for over a year, maybe over 2 years now. One of the forum users (Dartanbeck) has done a lot of work on this himself to help out fellow Carrara users - but that's to his credit, not DAZ's.

Many cool new tools also languish because they don't quite work as advertised or there's dno detailed step-by-step documentation to show people how to use them - and by the time that is fixed or partially fixed and scattered documents may or may not appear months or years later - the tool remains in the menu, largely unused, by the vast majority of DAZ users. Add on a persistent feeling that the job of DAZ is to squeeze out whatever revenue it can from each customer, even if those dollars come grudgingly, and you have a less friendly situation than existed here several years ago.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Well, the sale that I can think of where this happened was the 'pimp your genesis' sale. Where there were a few similar female characters and different versions of hair in the same style to qualify for a discount.

Sometimes I do buy stuff I don't want to be eligible for a sale. In that case, I passed though.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Yeah . . . I was talking about the Carrara manual, which has been (had been) promised for over a year, maybe over 2 years now. One of the forum users (Dartanbeck) has done a lot of work on this himself to help out fellow Carrara users - but that's to his credit, not DAZ's.

Many cool new tools also languish because they don't quite work as advertised or there's dno detailed step-by-step documentation to show people how to use them - and by the time that is fixed or partially fixed and scattered documents may or may not appear months or years later - the tool remains in the menu, largely unused, by the vast majority of DAZ users. Add on a persistent feeling that the job of DAZ is to squeeze out whatever revenue it can from each customer, even if those dollars come grudgingly, and you have a less friendly situation than existed here several years ago.

I didn't realize you were referring to Carrara. It's lack of documentation is troublesome but not surprising. Lack of proper documentation was part of the reason I decided not to upgrade from C8Pro to 8.5. If I'm expected to pay that kind of money for a .5 upgrade, I expect proper documentation.

In the end, DAZ is a business. The bottom line and making as much money as they can is their job. The folksy, friendly people who once ran DAZ are all long gone.

• redhorseredhorse Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

One unintended side effect of these contingent sales that they probably haven't considered is that items on wishlists don't show up as "on sale". When I come to the site, I typically check out the "What's New" page and my wishlist. If requisite items for the contingent sale don't interest me, I go no further. I have no desire to research whether something on my wishlist happens to match the magic formula for a discount if only I would jump through a few hoops and buy something useless to me.

My spending has definitely shifted towards Renderosity and away from DAZ as a result of this nonsense.

• IndigoneIndigone Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

redhorse said:
    One unintended side effect of these contingent sales that they probably haven't considered is that items on wishlists don't show up as "on sale". When I come to the site, I typically check out the "What's New" page and my wishlist. If requisite items for the contingent sale don't interest me, I go no further. I have no desire to research whether something on my wishlist happens to match the magic formula for a discount if only I would jump through a few hoops and buy something useless to me.

My spending has definitely shifted towards Renderosity and away from DAZ as a result of this nonsense.

Precisely. For those of us who have purchased all we really want, except a few new things here and there, I just keep putting things in my wishlist, then checking my wishlist for sales. I'm sure that I've missed a few opportunities to spend money by doing that.