Nvidia forums hacked

Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Just recieved an email from them just thought I would post it here for anyone who has'nt seen it yet.

"Dear NVIDIA Forum User,

We suspended operations of the NVIDIA Forums last week in response to suspicious activity and immediately began an investigation. We apologize that our continuing investigation is taking this long. Know that we are working around the clock to ensure that secure operations can be restored.

Our investigation has identified that unauthorized third parties gained access to some user information, including:

• username
• email address
• hashed passwords with random salt value
• public-facing “About Me” profile information

NVIDIA did not store any passwords in clear text. “About Me” optional profiles could include a user’s title, age, birthdate, gender, location, interests, email and website URL – all of which was already publicly accessible.

NVIDIA is continuing to investigate this matter and is working to restore the Forums as soon as possible. We are employing additional security measures to minimize the impact of future attacks.

All user passwords for our Forums will be reset when the system comes back online. At that time, an email with a temporary password, along with instructions on how to change it, will be sent to your registered email address.

As a precautionary measure, we strongly recommend that you change any identical passwords that you may be using elsewhere.

NVIDIA does not request sensitive information by email. Do not provide personal, financial or sensitive information (including new passwords) in response to any email purporting to be sent by an NVIDIA employee or representative.

Check back on the NVIDIA Forums for updates"

Sal.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,888
    edited December 1969

oh, so it is a good thing afterall people outside the United states cannot join!!!
    I found that out when I tried and THAT I cannot buy their 3D glasses from them!!!
    even though my card and lots of my software supports them.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited July 2012

oh, so it is a good thing afterall people outside the United states cannot join!!!
    I found that out when I tried and THAT I cannot buy their 3D glasses from them!!!
    even though my card and lots of my software supports them.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/3d-vision-main-uk.html

3D vision is supported in Britain. Look for a retailer nearby.

EDIT: Here's a UK based online retailer: http://www.cclonline.com/product/69433/942-11431-0009-001/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GeForce-3D-Vision-2-Kit/MON9193/

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

I am in Australia, and the only way I have found so far is buy at inflated prices from dubious resellers or on EBay.
    Yes, in Europe you can go through a Nvidia dealer but I think downunder we are unimportant.
    has helped me save my money!

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

I am in Australia, and the only way I have found so far is buy at inflated prices from dubious resellers or on EBay.
    Yes, in Europe you can go through a Nvidia dealer but I think downunder we are unimportant.

How about this place?

http://www.cplonline.com.au/index.php?keyword=nvidia+3d+vision&option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

Down about 3/4 of the page.

Kendall

edited December 1969

How about this place?

http://www.cplonline.com.au/index.php?keyword=nvidia+3d+vision&option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

Down about 3/4 of the page.

Kendall
    ordered on my Android, hopefully went through, paypal will email me if it did
    got a "this invoice has already been paid for error" so unsure?
    my cart was then empty
    Android 3G can be iffy
    anyway half the price I have seen online for Australia
    if nothing happens might need to check paypal and try again on my laptop

edited December 1969

all ok, got confirmation emails after posting.
    looking forward to my Glasses ;-P
    got lots of nVidia pics in my public library that came with my computer I can finally view plus I can try out MikuMikuDance in 3D and stereoMovieMaker stvmkr on my video renders, it just tells me I need nvidia glasses if I try to save to that format now so I do the red/cyan option but this will look cooler, M5 will need more than a cleverly angled sword to hide his geografted bits!!