what does all this mean!

2»

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,197
    edited December 2013

Legionair said:
    It sounds like you kept putting the path to DS in the place for 64-bit software installations.

Okay, now you are sounding like CS.

As I said earlier. I assigned the directory ONCE. DIM decided to create multiple sub-directories every time it did an update.

I certainly didn't create all the DS software directories that were listed under applications.

I too was taken in by the hype about DIM and gave it a try when it first came out. I quickly learned that DIM was not the end-all and be-all that DAZ would have you believe. It was, in my opinion, simply another "dim" (i.e. not bright) software product released into the wild long before it was weaned from the lab. I have since come to regard DIM as an acryonym for "Doesn't Install Much", or "Damn Infuriating Monster". Perhaps the magic of time has resulted in DIM improving to the point of usefulness now but I still avoid it like the plague and still manually download the "zip" or "exe" files and install into my precious library manually where if something gets boogered I can only blame myself.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Legionair said:
    It sounds like you kept putting the path to DS in the place for 64-bit software installations.

As I said earlier. I assigned the directory ONCE. DIM decided to create multiple sub-directories every time it did an update.

I certainly didn't create all the DS software directories that were listed under applications.

I too was taken in by the hype about DIM and gave it a try when it first came out. I quickly learned that DIM was not the end-all and be-all that DAZ would have you believe. It was, in my opinion simply another "dim" software product. I have since come to regard DIM as an acryonym for "Doesn't Install Much", or "Damn Infuriating Monster". Perhaps the magic of time has resulting in DIM improving to the point of usefulness but I still avoid it like the plague and still manually download the "zip" or "exe" files and install into my precious library manually where if something gets boogered I can only blame myself.

I have a different opinion on it as it works really well for me and I can select the location of where I want to install items including some Gen4 stuff. Manually extracting items is much too tedious, when I can just select what I want to install and walk away until it's done.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 2013

Legionair said:

I too was taken in by the hype about DIM and gave it a try when it first came out. I quickly learned that DIM was not the end-all and be-all that DAZ would have you believe. It was, in my opinion simply another "dim" software product. I have since come to regard DIM as an acryonym for "Doesn't Install Much", or "Damn Infuriating Monster". Perhaps the magic of time has resulting in DIM improving to the point of usefulness but I still avoid it like the plague and still manually download the "zip" or "exe" files and install into my precious library manually where if something gets boogered I can only blame myself.

I have a different opinion on it as it works really well for me and I can select the location of where I want to install items including some Gen4 stuff. Manually extracting items is much too tedious, when I can just select what I want to install and walk away until it's done.
    Agreeing with Male-M3dia on this, but I haven't installed software other than DAZStudio with it, haven't had the directories problem, and install/rearrange my non-smart content the way I did pre-DIM. The speed and ease-of-use for the rest of it's got me sold.
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,438
    edited December 2013

11R1CH11 said:
    I'm not saying it couldn't be possible, but i think it would be hard to apply the new geometry to the older model. Of course we can buy packages that apply the old geometry to the new.. such as my Gen2 now supports V4, but i don't think it would work the other way around.
    I agree though, It is upsetting to have to keep starting from zero every time they come up with the next model. And all that older morphs I have just take up space in my software. I can't bring myself to uninstall anything.

this kind of reminds me of what Microsoft is doing to me by forcing me to buy the Xbox One, when I have a perfectly good 360 sitting right in front of me. But if I want to proceed with any on the new content,, I have to

I think you can do it with the Transfer Utility. I have not tried it myself because I don't use the "Genesis" 2 things, but it would be good to transfer those morphs to a better figure like Genesis.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/356284/

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24093/

You don't have to buy everything again if you don't want to, especially since the "Genesis" 2 things has no improvements and Genesis is moreversatile.
    And remember that features that were free with Genesis are not free anymore for "G"2, like Gen 4 textures (each UV must be purchased separately and only DUF presets works now) and Autofit for each Gen 4 character must be purchased separately as well. Its not just the morphs pack what you have to purchase again. I don't get everything for free either, so I understand why you're hesitant about spending so much money again.
    I'm not doing that since there's no good reason, But it's up to you.

Post edited by Soto on
  • R1CH1R1CH1 Posts: 80
    edited December 2013

I'm sure most people would disagree with how i have things set up on my machine, but my content folders and stuff are customized on my desktop folder, so letting the DIM do anything would be disastrous for me. I tried it once, then had to re-install what I did.. Though it's more work, I choose to click the download ONLY button [as opposed the Download and Install],, extract the files myself, and drag them one by one to their corresponding locations.. Like I said, it's more work, but I'm too poor to be buying and downloading mass bundles of content anyway -so i don't mind. I'm sure my problem will arise when they take away the download ONLY button, and force me to use the DIM... That will probably be a sad day for me.

Post edited by R1CH1 on
    edited December 1969

hey, I want to buy the pose construction packs for M3 and V3.. I know content like clothes needs special plug-ins to work on Gen2, but what about poses. poses should load,, no? maybe not perfect but they should ball park enough for me to tweek

edited December 1969

11R1CH11 said:
    hey, I want to buy the pose construction packs for M3 and V3.. I know content like clothes needs special plug-ins to work on Gen2, but what about poses. poses should load,, no? maybe not perfect but they should ball park enough for me to tweek

so to answer my own question, yes they do work, but like I suspected, they are a bit off. Though I expected that. Its cool.