Sorry People, I need help with runtime folders

shaykallshaykall Posts: 109
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Sorry for the noob question, but I have tried the search engine in this and the old forum.

I never really got into the runtime folders, and basically don't know anything about them, where they go and how to access them.

I installed Urban Future , I installed it on a second hard drive, I then when to the folders and there is the runtime folder with the files in it.

How do I access the object file and the textures etc ?

Or can someone point me in the direction of a tutorial or info about runtime folders?

again, sorry for the noob question.

Comments

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

This one?
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/urban-future/
    That's a DAZ Studio or Poser product not Bryce (which I presume your using).
    But you can get D|S for free here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-studio/daz-studio-what-is-daz-studio/
    Then uninstall Urban future, install D|S and then re- install Urban future and it'll show up in D|S.
    You can then use the "Send to Bryce" from the File Menu which automatically (well usually) sends the model w/ textures to Bryce.
    You can also Export to .OBJ and Import that into Bryce.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You could have a look here, since Runtime is a Poser folder format:

http://poser.smithmicro.com/tutorials/content_overview.html

All runtimes should have the same format (at least older ones should). DS4P has a Runtime folder inside the My Library folder for holding Poser Content too.

• shaykallshaykall Posts: 109
    edited July 2012

This one?
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/urban-future/
    That's a DAZ Studio or Poser product not Bryce (which I presume your using).
    But you can get D|S for free here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/products/daz-studio/daz-studio-what-is-daz-studio/
    Then uninstall Urban future, install D|S and then re- install Urban future and it'll show up in D|S.
    You can then use the "Send to Bryce" from the File Menu which automatically (well usually) sends the model w/ textures to Bryce.
    You can also Export to .OBJ and Import that into Bryce.

Thanks for the quick response, you are right, I got the Poser one, am heading off to get the right one from that link.
    Am installing D/S right now.

Just another noob question, how do I uninstall Urban Future, I can't seem to find the uninstall file, I remember saying yes to creating the uninstall file.

Thanks again

Post edited by shaykall on
  • cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited July 2012

how do I uninstall Urban Future, I can't seem to find the uninstall file, I remember saying yes to creating the uninstall file.

Thanks again

I had the same problem with installed content, it happens when you install DAZ Studio on a different partition than C.
    In my case i installed DAZ in D but the uninstallers goes to C .Same for render library for rendered images as default.
    I can't find or remember right now the folder with the uninstallers in XP (i didn't installed items on DAZ 4 yet, i have some from DAZ 3 saved on another partition as archives since i reinstalled Windows on partition C, my Daz is still new no figures added, i worked with Bryce in the last time) but you might need to use the Search on your computer option.

Even if you don't have the uninstaller there is a trick used by me :
    Searching the file/folder names
    1.Make a new folder , a fake one not a good one in Daz , then choose to install there a (same) product from Daz but without to check the uninstaller.
    2.Go to that new folder and see the new files unpacked in/and the new folders.See the names so you'll know what folders or files to delete.
    3.Open your real Daz instalation folder and search for the same files/names and remove them.

(this is how i do when i install a small prop such as shoes, i don't select the uninstallers because it fills the C partition, each uninstaller may have around 2 mb..imagine how many uninstallers or space on disk are created or occupied from 20 GB of content from daz..).Partition C drive is vital for the Windows and is recommended to be as much as clear and defragmented posible.
    This is very useful for the poser content too, because lots of content creations from RuntimeDna or Renderosity or other websites, might not have installer with an uninstaller too, it keeps only a folder tree order which you should follow it when you add content without an installer.
    If you have the uninstallers:
    Searching the uninstallers
    Try to search the name of the product with your windows search and see what you'll find, usually the uninstallers should contain the same name as the main installer with the word "Uninstall" in front of the name.
    if:Broken uninstallers/installations in Windows
    There is an application which can help to remove any file or .exe or a broken installation including/tracking left over registry entries/keys.It's called Revo Uninstaller Pro .If you need it, you may try it as trial if you can't afford to buy or use to much.

Also see where are the default folders for scanning new content,render library,temporary work saved scenes in your DAZ settings if you need to move them to another partition on hard disk.
    Oh and a tip how to install properly Daz Bridge to/in Photoshop CS5 or 6 is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJpRp6I52sQ :) if you need .Read the last comments :-)

Assuming your help needed is for daz not bryce, runtime folders are in daz not bryce, equivalent of the runtime is the presets folder in bryce.This is Bryce forum talk area :)

Post edited by cris333 on
    edited December 1969

cris333 said:
    how do I uninstall Urban Future, I can't seem to find the uninstall file, I remember saying yes to creating the uninstall file.

Thanks again

I had the same problem with installed content, it happens when you install DAZ Studio on a different partition than C.
    In my case i installed DAZ in D but the uninstallers goes to C .Same for render library for rendered images as default.
    I can't find or remember right now the folder with the uninstallers in XP (i didn't installed items on DAZ 4 yet, i have some from DAZ 3 saved on another partition as archives since i reinstalled Windows on partition C, my Daz is still new no figures added, i worked with Bryce in the last time) but you might need to use the Search on your computer option.

Even if you don't have the uninstaller there is a trick used by me :
    Searching the file/folder names
    1.Make a new folder , a fake one not a good one in Daz , then choose to install there a (same) product from Daz but without to check the uninstaller.
    2.Go to that new folder and see the new files unpacked in/and the new folders.See the names so you'll know what folders or files to delete.
    3.Open your real Daz instalation folder and search for the same files/names and remove them.

(this is how i do when i install a small prop such as shoes, i don't select the uninstallers because it fills the C partition, each uninstaller may have around 2 mb..imagine how many uninstallers or space on disk are created or occupied from 20 GB of content from daz..).Partition C drive is vital for the Windows and is recommended to be as much as clear and defragmented posible.
    This is very useful for the poser content too, because lots of content creations from RuntimeDna or Renderosity or other websites, might not have installer with an uninstaller too, it keeps only a folder tree order which you should follow it when you add content without an installer.
    If you have the uninstallers:
    Searching the uninstallers
    Try to search the name of the product with your windows search and see what you'll find, usually the uninstallers should contain the same name as the main installer with the word "Uninstall" in front of the name.
    if:Broken uninstallers/installations in Windows
    There is an application which can help to remove any file or .exe or a broken installation including/tracking left over registry entries/keys.It's called Revo Uninstaller Pro .If you need it, you may try it as trial if you can't afford to buy or use to much.

Also see where are the default folders for scanning new content,render library,temporary work saved scenes in your DAZ settings if you need to move them to another partition on hard disk.
    Oh and a tip how to install properly Daz Bridge to/in Photoshop CS5 or 6 is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJpRp6I52sQ :) if you need .Read the last comments :-)

Assuming your help needed is for daz not bryce, runtime folders are in daz not bryce, equivalent of the runtime is the presets folder in
    bryce.This is Bryce forum talk area :)

Hey cris333,

I followed your instructions, I couldn't find the uninstaller but I did install the file to a folder on the D Drive, so I knew where it was.

I made a Temp directory in the Daz4 Studio folder and then re installed the Urban Future into that directory, then when I opened Daz and used the Content management I found the files and textures etc, and all looking good.
    I have installed a couple of other files into that directory and they showed up in Daz.

I also followed the youtube link and watched a couple of vids about installing content, having a little trouble getting my head around it , I did install a another file but cannot find it, so a little more studying needed :) but at least I can find the installed files.

Thanks again

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You have to look in the My Library folder for BOTH Poser Formats and DAZ Studio Formats to find most content. All figures and clothing items prior to Genesis were in Poser Format, and are held in the Runtime folder inside My Library which can only be seen using Poser Formats in the Content Library tab.

My uninstallers (the few that I have asked for) are listed in my Start Menu > All Programs > DAZ 3D > Installed Content in Windows 7. I imagine XP and other Windows versions would be the same.would be the same.

Another thing that I often do when I don't have an uninstaller, is re-install the product, this time asking for an uninstaller, and then use that as a quicker way to remove anything that was installed. The installer puts exactly the same items in the same place again, and then removes them all.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,124
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio/Poser content can be installed wherever you want. In my case F:\Raytracing\Renderer\Studio\CollectionHoro\. Just tell Studio where you have it. This has the advantage that you can access it from any Studio installation. I still have Studio 3 for using with Bryce 6.1 and Studio 4 for Bryce 7.1. My contents folder has meawhile grown to 5886 sub-folders, 41,286 files and 12.3 GB. Imagine if I had to install all this stuff twice.

edited December 1969

Hi JimmyC_2009.

I found the My Library folder and had a look in it and found the files, also I found the uninstallers. thanks for the help, am slowly getting my head around this content stuff. Just hope I can find the Sci Fi corridors I installed but they haven't shown up yet :))

Hey Horo

DAZ Studio/Poser content can be installed wherever you want. In my case F:\Raytracing\Renderer\Studio\CollectionHoro\. Just tell Studio where you have it.

This is what I wanted to do but then couldn't find the way to tell Studio where to look.. I want to get a bit more into the Anaglyph imaging and wanted to get some good scenes from Studio into Bryce like you did with your urban image.

As always thanks guys for any and all help

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,124
    edited July 2012

Perhaps the picture helps. Assuming you have DS 4 (admitedly, this was easier in DS 3). Edit > Preferences (F2). The Preferences window opens, select Content Library, then click on Content Directory Manager. The Content Directory Manager Opens. Here you can Add your stuff. I hope this helps.

DS-Content.gif
    706 x 1011 - 57K
    Post edited by Horo on