DOF question

davesolodavesolo Posts: 15
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

OK all you thinkers and tinkerers! How can we use dof. Have it lock on to a specific object in the scene and have DAZstudio automatically calculate the focal distance. In lightwave we can simply apply a measure tool, have it measure the distance between camera and object and then it plugs that number into the focal distance field on the fly. Can we do something similar in daz?

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Not quite that simple, unless I have been missing a trick. But first, be warned - DAZ cameras do not act like real cameras so far as f-stop, etc. go.

What I do is create (at least) two cameras - one to use for the render (I generally call this SceneCam, with DoF, etc.,) and the other(s) to assist in posing and positioning.

In the Camera/Lights tab (selecting Camera) I ensure that I have the SceneCam selected as active object and another camera active in view port. I adjust scene so that I have a clear view from SceneCam to where I want the central focal point be. I then turn on DoF for the SceneCam and turn the DoF planes/indicators under Scene View (sorry, can't recall actual titles) to red so they stand out. Focal length and f-stop are then adjusted to suit what I have planned.

• davesolodavesolo Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

yeah, i have been using the two camera method. Just seems like there might be someone out there who can figure this out.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

There is a way... it has to do with the camera framing function, but durned if I can remember it right now.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited July 2012

Select your camera and go to its Display properties in the Parameter Pane (Tab).

In the image below shows one of the DOF planes turned on.. You can see the red plane in the viewport shown below. Works better when you have something in the scene to see how it works.

DOFPlanes.jpg
    800 x 404 - 144K
    Post edited by Szark on
  • davesolodavesolo Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the replies! I have been using the planes, and the two camera method. I was thinking it might be possible by way of linking parameters to get it to be automatic.

edited December 1969

Yeah, those are helpful, but there swear there is (was?) a quicker way to set the focal distance. It was something like CTRL+ALT right-click on framing button, but that doesn't seem to be it when I try it in DS4.5.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Yeah, those are helpful, but there swear there is (was?) a quicker way to set the focal distance. It was something like CTRL+ALT right-click on framing button, but that doesn't seem to be it when I try it in DS4.5.

I am sure it's in the documentation ... ;)
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited July 2012

Both aim (ctrl-shift-a) and frame (ctrl-f) reset the Focal Distance. If you don't want to reorient the main camera, create a new one as a copy of the original, aim that, and copy the Focal Distance value across. It would probably be simple to write a script to do this. Of course it works only if the origin of the selected item is at the focal point.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Use a null as your focal point. You can get down to the tip of the nose, the left eye ect...Just saying...

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Use a null as your focal point. You can get down to the tip of the nose, the left eye ect...Just saying...
    Great idea. :)
  • joelegeckojoelegecko Posts: 64
    edited December 1969

There used to be a "Depth of Field" script available for previous versions of Studio. It still works in DS4 and I'm using it for all my projects. You just select a prop/body part and start the script by double clicking it ( or by making it a Custom Action available in a menu like I did ).

You then just have to specify your f/stop and focal distance is automatically added by pressing a button. Really easy.

Shallower DOF? Lower your f/stop value. Deep focus can either be achieved by using a higher f/stop value or focusing on an element farther away ( for the same f/stop value: the farther away the focused element, the wider the focused area ). Just like in real life photography :)