is there a way to get transparency to respond to camera (or normal) angle?

pencilsmudgepencilsmudge Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Been playing with the ubersurface. As all fabric has thickness, transparency depends on the angle at which it is viewed. Anyone have a quick way of achieving this?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure this can be achived in DS. Most Items in 3D are only a single mesh thick with a texture map then applied to that surface. You can play with the Opacity setting for an items Surface in the Surfaces tab but I'm not sure you can get the effect you are looking for.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Have look in the Shader Builder for a Fresnel brick.

Don't have on this computer, so I can't say whether DS actually has one or not. It should, though. The thing is dead useful.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Ascania said:
    Have look in the Shader Builder for a Fresnel brick.

Don't have on this computer, so I can't say whether DS actually has one or not. It should, though. The thing is dead useful.

I don't know about Shader Builder but there is a fresnel brick in Shader Mixer under Raytracing.
  • pencilsmudgepencilsmudge Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ok will look into that. Fresnel is for reflections, so if I can link that somehow to opacity I'm set!

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    I don't know about Shader Builder but there is a fresnel brick in Shader Mixer under Raytracing.

Or there.
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

While Fresnel brick is the correct idea, the Fresnel brick in Shader Mixer is not newbie friendly (where do I plug the output vectors?). I'd use the Lighting/Diffuse/Diffuse brick instead. If you have a main light coming from the camera position and leave the default colour on it (white) you'll get as a result of the brick, the cosine of the angle between camera and surface reflection angle, i.e. 1 (AKA white) if surface is pointing towards camera, and 0 or black if surface is orthogonal to camera ray.

• Oom FooyatOom Fooyat Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

What's wrong with the Edge Blend-brick?
    Cheers! Oom

eb2.jpg
    663 x 428 - 43K
    EB1.jpg
    400 x 400 - 54K
    edited December 1969

Improved version.

eb4.jpg
    676 x 430 - 43K
    EB3.jpg
    400 x 400 - 54K
    edited December 1969

I was not completely happy with that one either. You must boost white so it "clips".
    Sorry for the rambling :red:

eb6.jpg
    738 x 585 - 78K
    EB5.jpg
    400 x 400 - 54K
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Oh, yes, good idea!