Full Lotus - Can Genesis Do It?!?

KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I was excited to see a lovely full-lotus pose in the new M5 Poses: 02 Floor, but a closer look showed that one of the feet is off. Still a pack of nice poses, but it got me wondering -- is there an accurate full-lotus pose for Genesis out there? Can Genesis even do one? :question:

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

I was excited to see a lovely full-lotus pose in the new M5 Poses: 02 Floor, but a closer look showed that one of the feet is off. Still a pack of nice poses, but it got me wondering -- is there an accurate full-lotus pose for Genesis out there? Can Genesis even do one? :question:

A full lotus requires that the flesh on the calves deform in order to perform the pose. For a 3D model like genesis, this would look like "pokethru" and thus would not be acceptable to most purchasers. It's not that the model can't do the pose, it's just that the "stiffness" of the "flesh" around the bones doesn't allow a nice looking version.

Kendall

• edited July 2012

Kendall’s on the right track, but only lists some of the deformations:

• Both thighs are deformed inward by pressure from the opposite instep resting on top.
    • Both upper calves are flattened and spread sideways by pressure from the same side thigh against which they are folded.
    • The medial (inside of the) lower calf of the first leg folded is pushed forward by pressure from the lateral (outside of the) lower calf of the second leg folded.
    • The lateral lower calf of the second folded leg is pressed on and slightly deformed by the medial lower calf of the first folded leg.

Those are the ones I notice when I sit in Padmasana, anyway.

Padmasana is one of the more complicated Yoga asana, but even a relatively simple pose like Vrksasana involves adding deformations to the mesh. To be honest, I’ve never seen a set of Yoga asana for any character that look right.

I think, to do it, you’d need to put the figure into the pose, ignoring collisions, then carefully craft a set of morphs to mimic the deformations the body undergoes.

But that foot is glaringly wrong.

Post edited by daz.3d_6d12b24f7e on
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Aelfric said:
    . . . I think, to do it, you’d need to put the figure into the pose, ignoring collisions, then carefully craft a set of morphs to mimic the deformations the body undergoes.

I'm getting better with d-formers, but I've never been very good at poses, and I don't understand this one well enough to make it for Genesis. Given an accurate collision-ignoring full-lotus pose for Genesis I could probably set up the deformation morphs, but without that to start with . . . ? :down:
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

This was actually fun to try. Oh well, I tried..

lotus.jpg
    901 x 760 - 123K
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    This was actually fun to try. Oh well, I tried..

Pretty good. I was taught to put my ankles on my thighs in Lotus, but there are differences in interpretations.

Just a warning for those not trained... trying to enter the Lotus without proper stretching or training can cause serious injury. Please be careful if attempting it.

Kendall

edited July 2012

lol I can cheat and make his shins longer:) A lot also has to do with proportions. I dont expect a midget to get this right. Not that I have anything against them.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited July 2012

Nahhh. Just have him do some exercises and STRETCH those hip joints. That's what I do.

:-)

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited July 2012

The problem is if I place the ankles on the thighs, the shin geometry intersects. Not that you can see it from a frontal view but I hate doing poses like that. If only there was self collision...

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    The problem is if I place the ankles on the thighs, the shin geometry intersects. Not that you can see it from a frontal view but I hate doing poses like that. If only there was self collision...

Yup. CG models tend to be pretty rigid, where the human body is more "stretchy." 'specially them youngsters.

But, then again, most human adults have the flexibility of an iron pipe and the constitution of a champagne glass. So maybe the CG characters aren't that far off from "reality."

Kendall

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:

But it's (IMHO, anyway) better than a supposedly-lotus pose made inaccurate in order to avoid that. I understand that it's not considered acceptable in a professional pose set, but I can't even find a reasonably accurate one as a freebie. :shut:

One of the promo pics (shown below) of RawArt's new Triclops does a more accurate job with the legs, but the shown pose isn't included. I wish I could do one myself, but . . . :red:
    screenshot.22-07-2012_18_.51_.26_.jpg
    600 x 779 - 137K