Newbie question about genesis and genesis 2 compatibility

a_danilevskia_danilevski Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello everyone! Sorry for the dumb question.

We plan to use Daz3D characters + Decimator to create content in our game (on Unity3D). But before I guy a lot of things, I'd like to understand something to make the right choice and not to throw money away. So, please help me to understand those things...

1. Is it right that Genesis 2 is better than Genesis, and Genesis characters won't be supported - only Genesis 2 content will appear with time?

2. Is Genesis 2 character have more poly's than Genesis, and they can;t morph into each other should we use both of them in our game?

3. Is it possible to save genesis character in our game, and use morphs inside of our game? From what I get, morphs are saved in special format and likely we won't be able to use them?

4. If 3. is impossible, may we export morphs as .fbx and then use them, is it even possible at all?

5. Clothes in Daz3D are automatically fitting on characters when you change them, so it is skinned somehow? If we would want to create our own things (models), how to make them autofitting too?

Seems it's all, please don't shoot!

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I can answer only a tiny bit of question 1, somebody else will have to get the rest of your questions.
    1. Historically, from what I have seen (not shopping at all stores though) when new figures are released, some content is still produced and sold for older figures for a while, but tapers off as people adopt and create for newer figures instead. The new content tapers off quickly, old content availability lasts much longer but not forever. For example, I don't see much if anything new being produced for sale for V3 anymore now that she's 3 generations behind. But I can still purchase a number of V3 items in the store today, although items are presumably being removed from stores and many will eventually no longer be available. Some freebies sites for extremely old figures are still around many years later though.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2013

Whether or not Genesis 2 is better than the priginal Genesis is really something only you can decide.

And DAZ 3D has said that they are not going to cease catering for Genesis alongside Genesis 2. Both are still current figures for the foreseeable future. Victoria 4 and Michael 4 are still very current in many peoples runtim,es, and they have been out a long time.

If you want to use any of DAZ 3D figures within a game then you will need to purchase a game developers license.

http://www.daz3d.com/indie-game-developer-license

http://www.daz3d.com/commercial-game-developer-license

Post edited by Chohole on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Let me Chime in Here.
    Genesis 1 is the MOPRH into any shape figure and will not go away until a better be anything figure is made.

Genesis 2 at this time is ONLY a Genesis BASED Female figure with the advantages of Genesis 1 bending and easy shaping but can not and is not meant to be a morph into anything but other female figures Thus the Title of Genesis 2 Female or G2F.

Genesis 2 will soon (I hope) have a G2M or Genesis BASED Male figure that will also be only for male shapes.

So to me that says need a Monster? Use Genesis 1 for it, need a really nice Lady? Use Genesis 2, G2F, for it, and soon I hope when we need a Really nice Man we will use G2M. See the point?

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Stick to Genesis Classic. Genesis 2 Female has more polygons in areas that improve facial expressions and some bends, which is great for art but not necessary for games.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

1. Is it right that Genesis 2 is better than Genesis, and Genesis characters won't be supported - only Genesis 2 content will appear with time?
    This is incorrect. There is still a good amount of support for both figures, and if Generation 4 is anything to go by, there probably will be for some time to come.

2. Is Genesis 2 character have more poly's than Genesis, and they can;t morph into each other should we use both of them in our game?
    Genesis 2 has a higher polycount and more advanced rigging. I wouldn't recommend either for use in games, personally, but Genesis 2 especially less since the skeleton is more detailed than a video game would require.

3. Is it possible to save genesis character in our game, and use morphs inside of our game? From what I get, morphs are saved in special format and likely we won't be able to use them?

You would have to morph the figure before the export. Decimator would reduce the polycount making morphs meaningless as they rely on vertex order and occasionally weight maps to function.

5. Clothes in Daz3D are automatically fitting on characters when you change them, so it is skinned somehow? If we would want to create our own things (models), how to make them autofitting too?
    Clothes have a skeleton which matches the figure they are designed for, which is what allows them to fit to the figure. Import any clothing item as a standalone in Daz Studio and it can be moved and manipulated like a figure could. Autofit is a conversion tool which can take clothing designed for one figure to another and make changes to the skeleton as needed.

My personal preference would be to use custom figures for games. Genesis is really designed for more powerful render engines and a lot of the reasons why Genesis is really good are the same reasons it can't be used well in a game engine. Decimator does a passable job at reducing polygon counts, but the FBX export tool is now a bit dated and has more bugs than an ant-farm. At the very least I'd suggest running it through a 3D modelling application such as 3D Studio Max to clean up the model and rig it more appropriately for use in a video game before pushing it into Unity.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Genesis 2 Female's rigging isn't more advance than Genesis's, it and the G2F's weight mapping are simply optimized for a female form. Actually game skeletons/rigs are often far more complex than Genesis as they usually include extra bones for clothing and hair. The way games handles the main figure model(s) and accessories is quite different from how Studio or Poser handles figures and accessories. I don't see that you save much if any work trying to bring Studio/Poser rigging into your game.

• edited December 1969

I have to agree that using the Genesis base meshes straight out of the box is a very unoptimised approach to support a game engine like Unity. A good place to start if you are thinking of importing a genesis figure into Unity is MegaFiers which can take the morph content from DAZ and use it in Unity. I'm not sure if it works on a decimated genesis model or has to use the base mesh but worth investigating.