boolean quest

menschtxmenschtx Posts: 8
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Trying to boolean a 'grouped' object, do I make the 1st object positve (includes other booleaned objects) and the 2nd object (booleaned) to negative. When doing so the 2nd object doesn't boolean. Suggestions please

Comments

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited June 2012

i'm not sure what you mean but the rules in boolean operation are :
    1.Every object or group must have an attribute : Positive or Negative or Intersect.
    2.In order to apply the boolean operation and reveal it on rendering , such as cutting or hiding or extracting , the objects or the groups needs to be grouped.

So if you have 2 groups to work as boolean you need to set for each an attribute then group them again to create a bigger group from 2 or more groups.
    If you need to make a simple object to apply a boolean operation to a group, you need to ungroup that and group it again with the newest object added.
    Hope im not wrong , also wait for more replies perhaps from a moderator or admin too.
    I made a tutorial too about basic and complex booleans and posted here :
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/63140/browse/3/PDF-Tutorial/Bryce-Tutorial-1---Basic-and-Complex-Booleans

Enjoy the tutorial and the music . :-)
    hope it helps.

Post edited by cris333 on
  • silk_99cfbbf5d0silk_99cfbbf5d0 Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

menschtx said:
    Trying to boolean a 'grouped' object, do I make the 1st object positve (includes other booleaned objects) and the 2nd object (booleaned) to negative. When doing so the 2nd object doesn't boolean. Suggestions please

Think of the negative object as being the cutter. And the positive object as the one you want to keep. If you are dealing with multiple objects, make sure none are part of a group, when doing the boolean operation.

So select the group, ungroup it, but keep it selected and then select the additional objects and finally regroup all of the selected objects.

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

cris333 said:
    i'm not sure what you mean but the rules in boolean operation are :
    1.Every object or group must have an attribute : Positive or Negative or Intersect.
    2.In order to apply the boolean operation and reveal it on rendering , such as cutting or hiding or extracting , the objects or the groups needs to be grouped.

So if you have 2 groups to work as boolean you need to set for each an attribute then group them again to create a bigger group from 2 or more groups.
    If you need to make a simple object to apply a boolean operation to a group, you need to ungroup that and group it again with the newest object added.
    Hope im not wrong , also wait for more replies perhaps from a moderator or admin too.
    I made a tutorial too about basic and complex booleans and posted here :
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/63140/browse/3/PDF-Tutorial/Bryce-Tutorial-1---Basic-and-Complex-Booleans

Enjoy the tutorial and the music . :-)
    hope it helps.

Thank you, this is wonderful :)

• edited June 2012

menschtx said:

Hello menschtx.

Looks like you got a lot of good advice already.

There is something which confuses many people [including myself]. That is the fact that a compound negative boolean object to be used as a cutter [to cut away parts of another object], must have all of its constituent parts made positive. Then after grouping it, the entire group automatically becomes a new neutral object. Select that new neutral object [NOT the individual objects in the group] and make that object negative. All the so called instability about Booleans that people complain about derives from not understanding this.

I must confess i find it hard to understand and find it counter intuitive. But if you have studied mathematics and logic you know that double negatives convert to a positive. The programmers of Bryce it seems followed the mathematical way and not the artistic intuitive way. They could have programmed it either way but it requires much less programming if you allow the user to set the attributes. To get Bryce to figure out what the user wants would have been very complicated for the program.

Kind regards

Peter.

PS - edit experiment.

I forgot to add:

The object to be cut must be treated in the same way if it is constituted of many objects. But here double positives are allowed unless you are using compound Boolean Set Operations in which case the final set to be cut must be positive.

If you have any questions just ask me.

Post edited by pbudarick_4a3d2ac478 on
  • menschtxmenschtx Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

cris333
    When assigning attributes to the objects, are these to be the same as in grouping two objects - make these positive. Then the boolean is set to negative. Your reply suggests 'locking' the group (I assume), after having done so - it seems now the 'locked' object is unresponsive. I have searched the net for a solution.
    Also I was wondering if the pdf on your suggested site has an index of chapter information other than the bookmark section?

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,120
    edited December 1969

Aha - [+] + [+] = +; [-] + [+] = -; [-] + [-] = +.

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Hmmmm, sooo, E=MC2 Does put the bubbles in beer.

Cheers
    GG

clip_image001.gif
    89 x 230 - 11K
    edited July 2012

Thanks cris333 :)

'Intersected Worlds'

cheese_reflect_wm.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 415K
    Post edited by IanTP on
    edited July 2012

menschtx said:
    cris333
    When assigning attributes to the objects, are these to be the same as in grouping two objects - make these positive. Then the boolean is set to negative. Your reply suggests 'locking' the group (I assume), after having done so - it seems now the 'locked' object is unresponsive. I have searched the net for a solution.
    Also I was wondering if the pdf on your suggested site has an index of chapter information other than the bookmark section?

menschtx
    The objects need to be in the same group to apply a boolean effect.
    Start to practice a bit like IanzThingz did, use 2 default primitives such as a sphere and a pyramid, make them each negative or positive or intersect then group them and see whats happening on render.
    Grouping 2 positives or 2 negatives doesn't reveal nothing on rendering so make sure the objects have different attributes.
    Can 2 men make a baby ? No. Can 2 women make a baby ? No.You need a man and a woman to make a kid lol.So set an object as negative and the 2nd as positive,put them togheter, group them and render.
    Grouping is enough, no need to Lock the objects or groups, Lock is recommended to use it on an object which you don't wanna move/group it by mistake.I didn't said to lock the objects, i said to group them , there is a big difference between lock and group.
    About my tutorial , why don't you spend some time and start your first boolean objects like IanzThingz.The tutorial shows step by step what to do and what to click every time and is recommended for 4-104 years old :-) and beginners too.I have bookmarked only the scenes from attachments and the examples from the complex boolean.

Thanks cris333 :)

You are very welcome Ianz.Very nice your render related to Intersect ,your render looks like another space-time dimension and an anomaly or a slice of our reality got in there :) . You can name it "Intersected Worlds"
    A song recommended for your render would be : Vangelis - Alpha ;-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jG--3elufo
    By the way i saw you have a great inspiration for abstract art.I tried once to create a desktop wallpaper for me and didn't succeded ,maybe i wasn't in the right mood lol.I bookmarked on my google chrome your tutorial from deviant art for abstract art.Ty for that too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Boolean example scenes for menschtx.These scenes are attached in the boolean tutorial or sharecg website, except the alien cocoon plants scene (the 3rd image), easy to create too, with 7 vertical toruses and a sphere or so , can't remember right now .
    Moldy-Cheese.jpg
    400 x 225 - 110K
    boolean-cylinders.jpg
    400 x 225 - 121K
    boolean_alien_plants.jpg
    400 x 225 - 80K
    A-Goauld-Planet.jpg
    400 x 227 - 117K
    alien-piramid-landscape-final.jpg
    400 x 225 - 106K
    edited December 1969

Cheers cris, pic is suitably renamed :)

Found the tut really easy to follow, so clear and well written, playing with the pyramids now ;)

And thanks for the link, I haven't heard that track in forever, fav'ed it now :-)

edited December 1969

cris333
    I read and went thru your tutorials on your site, very informative. My question is about the 'advanced' section and the 'muli-replication' of objects during the pillar exercise.
    I is there a way to put in the numbers to 'spin' the multi-replicate' the object or just wing it?

Booleaned_objs_4.png
    1274 x 705 - 979K
    edited December 1969

I wanted to thank all who offered ideas and suggestions - even with links.
    Once again
    Thank you

edited July 2012

menschtx said:
    cris333
    I is there a way to put in the numbers to 'spin' the multi-replicate' the object or just wing it?

Yes, sorry for the late reply, look at the image bellow and type in Rotate (Y-axis) a random value.Typing in rotate in Y axiss will make the replicated objects to spin around their axis, vertically.Feel free to type different values on X or Y and see the results.You can always Undo with CTRL+Z.Also you can rotate each object manually too, to select each object just hold CTRL and click on that object or area to select.
    Wish Bryce could have enabled the axis pointers like in Daz ...
    Have fun and by the way great job on your boolean objects scene.A tip, when you render 3D objects , try to move a bit to the left or right the camera , so the 3D objects will reveal the true 3D aspect (depth) and not looking like are brushes from Photoshop :)
    Thank you too for feedback and have fun.

Multireplicate.jpg
    1078 x 472 - 331K
    edited December 1969

Thanks again, another ?
    After saving in .br7 and searching everywhere on my pc (folders) and such - I can't find the scene.
    When using PLE I could see the scene on the bottom left. But when searching by name > nothing.
    Any suggestions?

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,120
    edited December 1969

Bryce saves a scene where you've saved the previous one. I recommend to use "Save As" so you can navigate to the folder where you want to save it.

edited December 1969

cris333 said:
    menschtx said:
    cris333

Yes, sorry for the late reply, look at the image bellow and type in Rotate (Y-axis) a random value.Typing in rotate in Y axiss will make the replicated objects to spin around their axis, vertically.Feel free to type different values on X or Y and see the results.You can always Undo with CTRL+Z.Also you can rotate each object manually too, to select each object just hold CTRL and click on that object or area to select.
    Wish Bryce could have enabled the axis pointers like in Daz ...
    Have fun and by the way great job on your boolean objects scene.A tip, when you render 3D objects , try to move a bit to the left or right the camera , so the 3D objects will reveal the true 3D aspect (depth) and not looking like are brushes from Photoshop :)
    Thank you too for feedback and have fun.

cheers from me too :)