Reality 2.1 - noise reduction tips please.

ToobisToobis Posts: 932
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I not sure where to post reality 2.1 questions on this forum so please admins move this to the right area.

I am having trouble removing noise from my renders even after messing around with it using the tutorial here: http://preta3d.com/kill-the-render-noise-form-your-lux-scenes/

Its still hard though! I hoped someone who uses Reality 2.1 would give me an example of how to reduce as much noise as possible on the image I have on this page.

The image is just random stuff but as you can see it is not as clear as it could be due to noise. Please for anyone experienced with Reality 2.1, tell me the best way to set about reducing noise on this image so I can get a better idea of techniques to use.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Your noise will reduce the longer you let LUX run. Once you hit around 2000 sp/sk (I forget which) you should be good unless you have water or glass in the render. Those will need a higher count before they clear up. Each full pass LUX makes (the Count) the clearer the render will become. LUX takes hours to render even as long as Days to get really good clear images. It all depends on the scene.

• SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521
    edited December 1969

Also, it looks like your scene is over-exposed - your highlights have blown out on the wooden pillar and on M4's skin. You might want to reduce your exposure time in LUX some.

Another thing to look for is many materials set to Glossy but with glossiness colours set nearly black - you might be just as happy with them set to Matte instead, and the calculations will go much faster. This will not only cut down on the time to get the extra samples (for reducing noise) but they also make the calculations simpler too - which should help prevent some noise in the first place.

• ToobisToobis Posts: 932
    edited December 1969

Syndaryl said:
    Also, it looks like your scene is over-exposed - your highlights have blown out on the wooden pillar and on M4's skin. You might want to reduce your exposure time in LUX some. .

Could you tell me how to correct this briefly please.I mean how to reduce highlights on pillar and on M4's skin and how to reduce exposure time pls.

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
    edited December 1969

Toobis said:

Could you tell me how to correct this briefly please.I mean how to reduce highlights on pillar and on M4's skin and how to reduce exposure time pls.

You should look into standard photographic techniques. If you look online you will find plenty of articles that explain how to adjust the exposure. But, the key to receive assistance is to tell us where you are. In other word, what is your current exposure? Without knowing your film ISO, shutter and aperture we can't give you the correction.
    Also, when talking about noise and "completion" of your render is important to know how many samples you have so far. If you have only a few hundred samples then noise is to be expected, it will go away after a few more samples are computed.
    Lastly, what kind of lights are you using? Coming from Studio's lighting people often overlight their scenes. Lux does not require to flood your scene with lights, keep that in mind.

All the best.

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
    edited December 1969

One more thing, you might want to take advantage of my "Make Your Own Reality" video course. It's on sale at Renderosity ( http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/make-your-own-reality-video-course-for-the-reality-plug-in/92647 ) for $19.95. I explain a lot of photo techniques applied to Reality/Lux and there is one lesson dedicated to the exposure adjustment.

Cheers.