Weird renaming bug

MalusMalus Posts: 370
edited July 2013 in Carrara Discussion

I was trying to change the name of an object when all of sudden it started doing this on all letters, and if you wondering if it was happening with everything else just look I can type fine. Anyways I mash one key and it would automatically do this, on any letter I would type. I thought it was because I was at the end of the animation so I rewound and still nothing.
Just reporting this bug, it is quiet annoying but I am assuming if I restart the program it will fix it.

Post edited by Malus on

Comments

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

I was trying to change the name of an object when all of sudden it started doing this on all letters, and if you wondering if it was happening with everything else just look I can type fine. Anyways I mash one key and it would automatically do this, on any letter I would type. I thought it was because I was at the end of the animation so I rewound and still nothing.
    Just reporting this bug, it is quiet annoying but I am assuming if I restart the program it will fix it.

What makes you think that it is bug?

I see a keyboard buffer filled up with the letter "a" dumping its contents into the textbox that has focus. Nothing buggy there; it is completely expected behaviour.

Does it reproduce when you don't mash a key? {hint: stop mashing your keys, they don't like it...}

• MalusMalus Posts: 370
    edited December 1969

I mashed the key once, and when I let go it should have put one letter, but instead it did that. It did it with every letter, and even the space key. I could literally tap the key as fast as possible and when I got through just tapping the key it would put that many letters up even though I tapped it once. I wasn't ever holding down my keys at all, and when I closed carrara and opened it, it stopped the bug.

edited December 1969

Alright...the word "mashed" (at least to me) does not imply tapping a key quickly and once. Everything you have described suggests that you are holding the keys down...or they are sticking.

Does this happen with any other software you are running? Have you tried plugging in a new keyboard?

There is still nothing here that qualifies as a bug.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,823
    edited December 1969

it could be a bug
    embedded under your key!
    are you STILL using that dodgy overheating laptop?

edited December 1969

It didn't happen on anything else, I went to word and tried it while the keys were messing up on carrara, I even typed up the forum post while the bug was happening. I know what you mean by mashing that is the reason why I try not to use it but it happens. Yes I'm using that dodgy computer, but I have cleaned her up and gave her some new thermal paste and she seems ok.

I have been getting into repairing electronic and I got a hold of my laptop recently and took her apart and cleaned her out, and let me tell you there is such a thing as a dust elephants. I have dusted her out with a can of compressed air back in the day, but I have learned that it shoves it deeper. I also was cautious with her it took me 3 hours to do it so she is ok, and completely cleaned out in ever crevice(she is brand new clean)

edited December 1969

Here's why it is not a bug.

None of us can reproduce the issue using your description. To this point, everything is isolated to just your machine -- cleaned out or not, overheating or not -- it's still just you. A bug is a coding error in Carrara that causes incorrect or unexpected results.

Unless someone else responds with "I get this too!"

Try running Carrara on another computer to see if the problem follows you.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674
    edited December 1969

I might know what is going on. After you name something, you need to click out of the name box. What happens with me, is sometimes I rename, and don't click out and get qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq or wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww when I hit the navigate shortcut keys. It also happens when I type in a value box without clicking out of the box. Hitting enter don't jump the cursor out of the box for me in carrara, like it does for most other programs. Could that be the issue you are having OP?

edited December 1969

Does switching between models count as clicking outside of the text box, because I was switching between about 3 or 4 models.