OT: Who will win the UEFA 2012?

Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012

England was knocked out by Italy last evening. Spain and Portugal? Spain will win. A close draw, maybe a win by Italy over Germany July 1'st. Portugal might surprise with Cristiano Ronaldo on the team. Not sure, but I think - in my humblest opinion - that Italy will win, again.

Place your (virtual) bets in this thread (Are there any other UEFA-threads?)

Ohh yeah!!

I watched the match between England and Sweden (hoping Sweden would loose, which they did to my pleasure), and saw this goal. It's nothing less than epic. Watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6W16HTXSCE

Comments

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012

England was knocked out by Italy last evening. Spain and Portugal? Spain will win. A close draw, maybe a win by Italy over Germany July 1'st. Portugal might surprise with Cristiano Ronaldo on the team. Not sure, but I think - in my humblest opinion - that Italy will win, again.

Place your (virtual) bets in this thread (Are there any other UEFA-threads?)

Ohh yeah!!

I watched the match between England and Sweden (hoping Sweden would loose, which they did to my pleasure), and saw this goal. It's nothing less than epic. Watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6W16HTXSCE

Unfortunately we (Italy) have two important players injuried (De Rossi and Chiellini). Also two days less of rest. We can make but it will be difficult to win against Germany, IMO.
    If I should bet some money on it, I'd say the final will be Germany-Spain. Spain will a little advantage on final win.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

From the English point of view, Italy to lose on penalties in the semis and then Germany to lose on penalties in the final would bring a measure of justice for past penalty shoot-outs ;) But ultimately I'd prefer it to be decided in normal play, whoever wins.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

DWG said:
    From the English point of view, Italy to lose on penalties in the semis and then Germany to lose on penalties in the final would bring a measure of justice for past penalty shoot-outs ;) But ultimately I'd prefer it to be decided in normal play, whoever wins.

Ok but if there was justice, you do know England deserved to lose 3-0 during regular time yesterday night... LOL

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited June 2012

DWG said:

Ok but if there was justice, you do know England deserved to lose 3-0 during regular time yesterday night... LOL

Only 3:0? I thought Italy had more glaring misses than that?

It was an England game - we were guaranteed to go to extra time and penalties, which England were guaranteed to loose. 8-/

Post edited by willowfan on
  • hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited June 2012

Final will be portugal vs germany. Spain does not look as fluent on attack as they were at euro2008 and even worse than 2010, where they also did not play well but still got the title in the end. But this time they play with no real urgency and rather shuffle the ball around in midfield without any risk at all. This is not only boring to watch but also ineffective against teams who are really good on the counter, and germany + portugal are both very dangerous at this.

Portugal of course will only win if they catch an absolute fine day and germany has a tough opponent in italy too, especially since the italians usually are the team that germany has had the least success against in big tournaments. I dont think they have enough to beat germany this time around though. Italy is also a very young team, same as the german team but they havent played together as much and they will have a good future ahead of them.

Oh, and I am glad that England got kicked out. This type of football does not deserve to get further. It was a disgrace for football that Chelsea won with this style and tons of luck. Thank god that it did not repeat or there would be a mass influx of teams that actually start to copy this crap.

Post edited by hzr on
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I wasn't thinking through about Portugal, but they do have a chance. It's a bit more difficult to predict this year, though.

edited December 1969

heinz0r said:
    Oh, and I am glad that England got kicked out. This type of football does not deserve to get further. It was a disgrace for football that Chelsea won with this style and tons of luck. Thank god that it did not repeat or there would be a mass influx of teams that actually start to copy this crap.

I don't know what match you watched, but for the first 90 minutes (I didn't see extra time) I saw two teams both playing good attacking football using solid passing build ups, and that's the kind of football I want to see (one of the comments from the pundits last night was that there has been so much Italian influence in British football over the last few years we almost play more of an Italian style than Italy does). Unfortunately Italy were better than us on the night (though not particularly good at converting chances). If there was anything to complain about it was the amount of shirt pulling when we were in the Italian box, but other than that I thought it was a pretty good match.

I didn't like the way the Greeks set out to do nothing but defend versus Germany, clearly hoping to go to penalties, but England couldn't be accused of that and the Greeks paid for their strategy. I thought our weakness on the night was that Rooney clearly wasn't ready, he might (and only might) have been match fit, but clearly his eye wasn't in and he was missing balls he would normally have controlled. I would much have preferred us to stick with the team we fielded for the first two group matches rather than take a gamble on someone who hasn't played at top level for a while. No matter how good he is, it's still a gamble.

edited December 1969

We may have kept showing you an open goal, but your lot kept shooting into the back of the crowd! You don't get points for an open goal, only for balls in the back of the net ;)

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

I think Germany will win.

• hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

DWG said:

I don't know what match you watched, but for the first 90 minutes (I didn't see extra time) I saw two teams both playing good attacking football using solid passing build ups, and that's the kind of football I want to see (one of the comments from the pundits last night was that there has been so much Italian influence in British football over the last few years we almost play more of an Italian style than Italy does). Unfortunately Italy were better than us on the night (though not particularly good at converting chances). If there was anything to complain about it was the amount of shirt pulling when we were in the Italian box, but other than that I thought it was a pretty good match.

Rose tinted glasses mate :)

I watched from a neutral standpoint and italy dominated the game from start to finish. All england got was the odd chance every now and then through some freekick or when italy seemed to need a bit of a breather after playing powerplay on one goal for pretty much most of the game. It was not as one sided as spain vs france since england tried to make the best off the time they had with the ball contrary to the french who just seemed to have no clue what to do once they got it.

Maybe I am spoiled by the way germany plays and teams like spain, russia,italy,nl are often capable of when they are in good shape. But as a fan I want to see attacking football with creative play and not just one team sitting back, hoping for a mircale on both ends (not conceding, and probably getting awarded some silly no-contact-foul-freekick). This sadly gets more common lately as teams rather still defend when 0-1 or 0-2 down in hopes that something bails them out, instead of gathering themselves and mount a comeback...

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Spain and Germany are about tied for the win according to bookmakers. I think Italy stands a reasonable chance of winning actually, but I'm (slightly?) biased.
    I was very disappointed in the Netherlands team performance this time around.
    England did have a couple of really good opportunities, one with a miracle stop by Buffon, but it sat back too much.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

Its confusing to me... this tournament and then different teams in the Olympics??